Author Topic: Would internment help our economy  (Read 886 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Would internment help our economy
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
The anniversary of japanese internment just passed and I always notice how this was a great financial boon to americans since it meant alot of property was gain at greatly reduced price. If somehow our security is threatened just a touch more do you think internment will help us finally lower our property cost.

How about just null and void none American  ownership.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Would internment help our economy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:51:11 PM »
  In that peculiar circumstance we decided to do without the productivity and taxes that these people would pay.

The economy was benefiting from selling a lot of war materiel to the English already, I doubt that the availability of houses and furniture at bargain rates was really a great boon in comparison.

If it was even a benefit in comparison to the lost productivity at all, the next few years were ones of extreme labor shortage.

Perhaps we locked up a few spies, when we locked up all those Italian, German and Japanese immigrants and citizens. How many spies could there have been ?

That isn't measured, but it is the only realistic excuse there is.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:44:25 PM »
In Miami there are thousands of apartments that have been empty because they belong to South Americans, Chinese and others who bought them for investment. Some are rented out, but many are simply empty. More often or not they are in gated communities.

Hitler funded much of WWII with the money and property  confiscated from the Jews. Many were very, very rich.

But I do not advocating putting people in internment camps to boost the economy. That sounds wrong and barbaric.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »
They still are required to pay taxes. Pretty much all that were interned came out in debt owing the government back taxes. I don't understand how since they didn't have income to tax but then I remembered how chaotic taxes were in those days so it's not unheard of.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
 I don't understand how since they didn't have income to tax but then I remembered how chaotic taxes were in those days so it's not unheard of.

I never hard anything about this. I have known a couple of people whose parents were internees, but I heard nothing about them owing taxes upon their release.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:40 PM »
I rechecked i could not  find the article but did find some lost thier homes for not paying property taxes and lost thier homes. Found the government did supply a program to help with relocation reality but the system was not particularly helpful and Massive lost of money still occured.