Author Topic: * 755  (Read 6961 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: * 755
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2007, 09:30:40 AM »
I don't know if they should be legal or not. I really could care less.

But building on what Domer said of the "two evils," Henry Aaron used one drug on his unbelievable path to the Hall of Fame - nicotine. He smoked cigarettes. If you notice, he never once hit 50 homers in a season either.

Steroids were one factor that absolutely ruined baseball, one of the greatest sports (and truly America's game).

People compare this record of Bonds to Maris breaking Ruth's single season mark. Yet, Maris broke Ruth's record within an extra eight games added by MLB. He deserved no grief and no asterisk for what was an amazing achievement.

Bonds doesn't belong in the same breath as Aaron. I know it won't matter and Bonds will get his place in the sun. But for me, it will always be tainted by the awful game baseball has become.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: * 755
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2007, 10:02:28 AM »
Wanted to thank you for your post on what baseball had meant to you.

Baseball is a lot like fishing in a way. It is the pastime that counts.  Not the players, not the salaries, not who is leading the league or who will make the playoffs.

It is sitting on the porch or driving to grandma's and listening to the game on the radio. Throwing the ball or helping your son straighten out his swing. Beating the grownups in the father son games. Picking your sister for your team because she can hit better than most of the guys in the neighborhood, then sticking her in right field because though she can catch, she still throws like a girl.

It's about shared experiences and it is passed down from generation to generation.

That's is what it is about. It is bigger than Bonds.

Always has been.