Author Topic: Imus  (Read 14494 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Imus
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 11:51:49 PM »
<<Oh wait, you think my highlighting a blatant hypocritical double standard is analogus to defending Imus?  >>

Yeah, precisely, because that's the only defence the guy's got.  He is NOT going to defend himself by claiming he didn't say what he said,  because it's public record.  He is NOT going to defend himself by claiming that the team members really are "nappy-headed hos"  because they obviously are not.  The only defence the poor bugger has is the so-called double standard.  Even though no liberal commentator in the real world actually come anywhere close to what Imus said.  (hint - - this does NOT include sirs' prolific imaginary planets in which liberal commentators run wild, personally insulting innocent college students with racist and sexist garbage every hour on the hour)

We should be used by now to sirs' classic right-wing defence of "Our critics do it too" or in it's more usual form, "Clinton did it!  Clinton did it first!)  In their minds, that IS a valid defence.

I was just watching Anderson Cooper speaking to a panel of three blacks, and one of them made a very interesting point about all these right-wing Republican "values" groups, like Focus on the Family and apparently NOT ONE of them has condemned Imus so far - - as if racism, sexism, and cruelty are all perfectly consistent  with the "family values" these giant, two-legged lice claim to espouse.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 12:00:07 AM »
Even though no liberal commentator in the real world actually come anywhere close to what Imus said.

Errrr, I was under the impression that Imus was a liberal. He supported Gore and Kerry, after all, and he runs several "green" projects.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 12:12:41 AM »

My 16-year-old son and I were listening to the athletes speak at their news conference. 
He didn't get why Imus said what he said. What made him say it? 
I told him that as far as I could figure out, if women aren't in their proper role as smiling, lipsticked nicely dressed submissive helpmeets, they're fair game.  These girls were playing a very good game of basketball, were athletic in build, not submissive, competetive, not at all like the picture-perfect Donna Reed type that would be beyond reproach. 
So they get called those names on national TV.  It's abuse, verbal abuse, as far as I can tell elicited by their lack of conformity to what's considered the norm for female looks and behavior.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 12:14:04 AM »
<<Errrr, I was under the impression that Imus was a liberal. He supported Gore and Kerry, after all, and he runs several "green" projects.>>

You got me there, I guess.  I was responding to sirs' point that "left-wingers" allegedly got away with worse stuff than Imus every day.  Sloppy me, I took "left-wingers" as "liberals" and figured that sirs was comparing "liberals" with Imus, assuming then that Imus was a less liberal figure than the ones sirs had in mind, otherwise why the comparison?

But maybe all you have proven is that Gore and Kerry have some relatively conservative backers if a racist prick like Imus supports them and assumes that his base audience does as well.

Thank you for setting me straight on Imus' "liberalism."  I don't think it changes the essence of my answer though, even if I didn't realize at the time that Imus supported some "liberal" causes.  Gore and Kerry are BOTH war supporters who flipped.  They're no Howard Dean, that's for sure.  So I'm not sure that supporting them makes anyone a "liberal."  I would say that fabricating the fiction of left-wingers who get away with more than Imus did is a defence of Imus for two reasons:  One, there are no left-wingers who get away with this kind of shit and two, even if there were, it doesn't really get Imus off the hook, it just deflects the debate off him (which any smart defender would strive to do) and defuses the issue by broadening it till Imus is just a tiny part of the problem and therefore gets to keep his job.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 12:22:11 AM »
Even though no liberal commentator in the real world actually come anywhere close to what Imus said.

Errrr, I was under the impression that Imus was a liberal. He supported Gore and Kerry, after all, and he runs several "green" projects.

Not to mention the fact I can't count how often the left, be it pundits, talk show hosts, or celebrities, have called Bush a fascist if not a racist, Republicans racist homophobes, yada, blah, etc.  Donna Brazille was literally referring to the GOP as bigots, the party of the "white boys".  Spike Lee was joking about Trent Lott's hood & cape, being a card carrying member of the KKK of course.   Gloria Alread was gleefully agreeing with a caller that the GOP only had "uncle Toms" in their party.  And Blacks, specifically those that lean left, can call any other blacks ni**ers, and that's perfectly acceptable.  That all gets a pass, but if a white fella dares to cross a line that demeans blacks, as egregious & idiotic a statement it was, he's raked over the coals.....as he should be.  Nice hypocrisy
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 12:27:52 AM »
Imus has always spoken like this , does anyone remember when he was invited to speak at a press club dinner where the Clintons (Co-Presidents at that time) were the guests of honor?

Don Imus-
". . . .Now I love Ronald Reagan as do most Americans, regardless of politics,  
but man, what a weird family. Nancy staring at him like a glass-eyed Moonie on  
mushrooms, checking with this nut-log out on the West Coast who's charting the  
course of the country on a Ouija board. I mean, what was that all about? And  
the kid, Ron, prancing around in his underwear on Saturday Night Live, and  
Patty's naked in Playboy and each of them had these Mommie Dearest book deals.  
And, of course, they all still hate Michael. . . .

http://www.langston.com/Fun_People/1996/1996APF.html

What really makes this so much worse?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 12:30:10 AM »
<<Not to mention the fact I can't count how often the left, be it pundits, talk show hosts, or celebrities, have called Bush a fascist if not a racist, Republicans racist homophobes, yada, blah, etc.  Donna Brazille was literally referring to the GOP as bigots, the party of the "white boys".  Spike Lee was joking about Trent Lott's hood & cape, being a card carrying member of the KKK of course.   Gloria Alread was gleefully agreeing with a caller that the GOP only had "uncle Toms" in their party.  And Blacks, specifically those that lean left, can call any other blacks ni**ers, and that's perfectly acceptable.  That all gets a pass, but if a white fella dares to cross a line that demeans blacks, as egregious & idiotic a statement it was, he's raked over the coals.....as he should be.  Nice hypocrisy>>

Nice bunch of irrelevant examples.  In every one of them, the "left-wingers" were attacking political opponents, in your view (although not in mine) exaggerating wildly as they did so.  I suppose this is par for the course in politics - - don't Republicans routinely attack the patriotism of their Democratic opponents, their criminal nature (by comparing abortion to murder) and in the past their "pinko" leanings if not in some cases their active support of communism?

But what political target was Don Imus attacking?  He was picking on a bunch of innocent, non-political college girls.  All in their teens or early twenties.  As usual, you're all fulla shit.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 12:30:51 AM »
..."But maybe all you have proven is that Gore and Kerry have some relatively conservative backers if a racist prick like Imus supports them and assumes that his base audience does as well."

What indicates to you that liberals have fewer or less serious racists than conservatives?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 12:32:07 AM »
<<What really makes this so much worse?>>

That Reagan was in reality a despicable, lying, hypocritical murderer?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 12:33:54 AM »
"don't Republicans routinely attack the patriotism of their Democratic opponents,"
No

" their criminal nature (by comparing abortion to murder)"
Abortion has a diffrence from murder?

"and in the past their "pinko" leanings if not in some cases their active support of communism?"

Only where deserved , it would be hard to make a case for communism against John F Kennedy.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 12:36:42 AM »
<<What indicates to you that liberals have fewer or less serious racists than conservatives?>>

Ahh, no you don't.  We've been through that before.  The Southern Strategy.  Trent Lott.  Senator Macacawitz.  The way the blacks vote (unless they're all too stupid to know who's for them and who's against them)  The history of the Civil Rights movement.  Who voted for, who voted against.

Sorry, plane, I'm not getting into THAT again.  Hours and hours of it done and done.  If you really want to know what indicates to me that liberals have fewer or less serious racists than conservatives, head for the archives.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 12:37:43 AM »
<<What really makes this so much worse?>>

That Reagan was in reality a despicable, lying, hypocritical murderer?

See?

Talking like that is Ok for you and is Ok when directed against a wasp.

If you had a single standard you wouldn't struggle so often with question of Hypocrisy.

Of course I don't mean you specificily , but everyone who has a light standard in one direction and a heavy standard in the other.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 12:41:54 AM »
<<What indicates to you that liberals have fewer or less serious racists than conservatives?>>

Ahh, no you don't.  We've been through that before.  The Southern Strategy.  Trent Lott.  Senator Macacawitz.  The way the blacks vote (unless they're all too stupid to know who's for them and who's against them)  The history of the Civil Rights movement.  Who voted for, who voted against.

Sorry, plane, I'm not getting into THAT again.  Hours and hours of it done and done.  If you really want to know what indicates to me that liberals have fewer or less serious racists than conservatives, head for the archives.

If you knew the historyof the civil rights movement you wouldn't leave Republicans out of it.

Was the southern strategy served by introduceing and voteing n the civil rights act?

Arcives indeed, the public record is the arcive you should check.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 12:45:37 AM »
spin...rationalize...rant

Yea, I got it Tee.  It's ok when the left/libs pull out blatantly racist garbage, be it commentary or cartoons, especially aimed at conservatives or anything remotely connected to Bush.  It's an egregious front to civility, morality, and downright racist when the right supposedly does it.  Yea, I got it the 1st time
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:50:53 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 12:47:22 AM »
"don't Republicans routinely attack the patriotism of their Democratic opponents,"
No
I beg to differ.  YES.

" their criminal nature (by comparing abortion to murder)"
Abortion has a diffrence from murder?

You see?  You call your pro-choice opponents murderers.

"and in the past their "pinko" leanings if not in some cases their active support of communism?"

Only where deserved , it would be hard to make a case for communism against John F Kennedy.

Hard to make one against Adlai, and he was smeared repeatedly as a commie.  Hard to make one against Helen Geohagen Douglas, and Nixon won his campaign against her with phony charges of communism.

---------------- I don't think character assassination is a monopoly of either party or either side of the liberal-conservative debate, although IMHO, the conservative targets usually are the scumbags they are alleged to be and the liberals are really the good guys.  HOWEVER, the point is that Imus was NOT participating in the politics-as-usual practice of character assassination, he was picking on INNOCENT COLLEGE GIRLS, which no conservative is willing to acknowledge, and accusing them of nothing more than being black and female, which he equated to something bad and repulsive.  THAT is why he is a racist prick, THAT is where he differs from ALL those "left-wingers" that sirs likes to pretend do the same thing, and THAT is why his ass should be permanently fired from commercial radio.  Let him open his own neo-Nazi hate site and spew his venom there, as is his Constitutional right.