Author Topic: You do not own your labor  (Read 2173 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You do not own your labor
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
<<So you admit the guy probably would not know, and his lawyer might not have known. >>

If the lawyer didn't know, he was professionally negligent and Tennant could sue his ass off.  Any compteten real estate lawyer would know, because it's his business to know.  And any lawyer who ISN'T a real estate lawyer wouldn't or shouldn't have taken on the job.

<<And I would like to point out, we don't know from the news story whether Tennett bought the house before or after the specific City of Pickering zoning law was put in place. >>

I already dealt with that when I referred to "grandfathering."  If the prohibited use was in existence before the zoning bylaw, then it's protected, i.e. unaffected by the by-law (provided the use was continuous and uninterrupted and the guy can prove it.) 

<<But you still want to paint him as some sort of selfish bastard for daring to do something so self-centered as individually helping his neighbors. >>

Well, YEAH, if he now knows the use is prohibited by law.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 12:52:11 AM »
IMHO, the only rate-payers who are getting ripped are the ones compelled to live in your urban shit-holes because your moronic politicians are more interested in raising tax money for military machines of mass murder than they are in creating a healthy and sane environment for everyone.

I did not know property tax in Canada went to the federal government. That is not the case here.

Here they go to schools and public safety a and local government functions.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 01:00:33 AM »
hmm

we got a somewhat similair law here
not to prevent businesses but to prevent people from parking in there own driveways to beautify the area.
but unlike the complex process micheal pointed out .
It`s just people in high places with stupid ass ideas able to pass it as law.
in north beach those regulations has keep the property value up but the localized econmy is tanking and now we have alot of boarded up store fronts.
this article will show how insane it gets

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/16/BALQ12UERS.DTL&hw=peskin&sn=003&sc=756

oh the person responsible for this situation in the article is the head board of supervisor`s wife.
not mentioned but it`s no secret in this city it`s her.
we joke about how much peskin has to drink because of her.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 01:49:50 AM »
<<I did not know property tax in Canada went to the federal government. That is not the case here.

<<Here they go to schools and public safety a and local government functions.>>

It's the same in both countries.  Municipal taxes are collected for schools, roads, garbage collection, cops, etc.

However, nobody who lives in a city is ONLY a citizen of the city - - he's also a citizen of the Province and of the nation.  He's the basic tax-paying unit of all three levels of government.  (Four if the guy is part of a regional government too.)  Well, he's the lemon and all three levels of government want some of the juice.  The more the Fed takes out first, the less is left over for the other two levels.

So you can't really ignore the taxes exacted by the Feds when considering how much the guy has left to pay the municipal and Provincial taxes.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 02:53:58 AM »
So you can't really ignore the taxes exacted by the Feds when considering how much the guy has left to pay the municipal and Provincial taxes.

You really need to focus on writing more clearly. But so you know, when we set millage rates in this town we do not consider what the fed rate is on income taxes. We do not even consider what the county charges. We are sensitive to burdens and we might charge a lower millage for a longer time as part of a compromise bargain, funding next year what we had planned on doing this year etc. or we might institute user fees in lieu of millage.

We get money from the feds, not the other way around.

Granted federal lawmakers do use income tax to fund whatever they want , but in the context of local politicians paying huge amounts for planning studies the military industrial complex is not in the equation.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 06:53:51 AM »
<<You really need to focus on writing more clearly. >>

Sorry, I just assumed you could fill in the blanks, given your involvement in municipal government.  But it's my own private theory, so you are quite right, the missing links should have been filled in so you'd know what I was getting at.

<<But so you know, when we set millage rates in this town we do not consider what the fed rate is on income taxes. We do not even consider what the county charges. We are sensitive to burdens and we might charge a lower millage for a longer time as part of a compromise bargain, funding next year what we had planned on doing this year etc. or we might institute user fees in lieu of millage.>>

Well, it's called the mill rate up here, but I always figured it had to bear some relation to the ability of the citizens to pay.  For example, I wouldln't think that some burg in the depths of Appalachia would set a mill rate at the same level as Palm Beach does.  So whether the councilors realize it or not, the disposable income level of the residents somehow has to figure into their calculations of the mill rate.  Or not.  I dunno, this is just a theory of mine.  I leave it to some economist to do a study of mill rates in relation to changes in federal income tax rates.  Apparently I have found one person who vehemently disagrees with my theory. 

<<We get money from the feds, not the other way around.>>

Yeah that's a given, same way it is here.

<<Granted federal lawmakers do use income tax to fund whatever they want , but in the context of local politicians paying huge amounts for planning studies the military industrial complex is not in the equation.>>

Well, you're the man who should know.  At least it's not consciously and not directly in the equation.  Thanks for the insight.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 09:45:34 AM »
I am all for anyone doing any goddamn thing in their garage they want to, providing it does not contaminate the air or kee people awake.
I am against zoning ordinances that tell people what they can't do.

I was once on a plane to Dallas and some nouveau riche woman asked me what shade of beige I thought would be best for her new house. It seems that the homeowners in this subdivision were only allowed to paint their homes beige.

I said that I preferred white or baby blue or lemon yellow to all of them, that beige was boring.

She closed her sample sheet and said no more to me until we got to Dallas.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."