Author Topic: Obama Uses a Brassmask Idea.  (Read 1287 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Obama Uses a Brassmask Idea.
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:45:49 PM »
Democrat Barack Obama is proposing lifting penalties for withdrawals of up to $10,000 from retirement accounts and imposing a 90-day moratorium on foreclosures on some homeowners as part of a plan to boost the economy and aid middle-income taxpayers.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/13/133035/06/222/629319

Some of you may remember sirs attempt at real discussion in which he proposed that we say what we would do if we were the president.  I posted several things I would do and one of them was the idea that we should give homeowners three months freeze on paying their mortgages payments and those under a certain amount get a stimulus package to get it together and those over a certain amount would have the time to get their shiznit together.

Sadly, I think that thread devolved into vitriolic name-calling and the thread went down in flames.  It might have been interesting for us to hammer out a real debategate endorsed plan but some people just want to tear it all down, some WOULD rather curse the darkness than to light a candle.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Obama Uses a Brassmask Idea.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Obama's rescue plan [UPDATED]

Obama today rolls out another set of proposals for dealing with the economic crisis, one focused more on the human consequences of the crisis.

The plan includes helping out states and localities, allowing people to cash out part of their retirement savings without tax penalties, and an arrangement with banks that would include a 90-day moratorium on foreclosures for many homeowners.

The plan is a striking sign of how far this crisis has moved, and a sign that Obama has shifted toward a more populist approach. In February, after Hillary Clinton proposed a similar foreclosure moratorium, the Los Angeles Times reported that Obama condemned her plan:

In San Antonio on Tuesday, Obama said that Clinton?s foreclosure freeze was potentially ?disastrous,? rewarding ?people who made this problem worse? by benefiting banks that profit from high mortgage rates.

UPDATE: Obama's aides say that though he called her plan, on the whole, "disastrous," his objection wasn't to the foreclosure moratorium but to an interest rate freeze she had proposed, and which isn't part of Obama's plan.

The full transcript is here, and makes clear that the passage I linked above isn't quite clear: He's attacking Clinton's proposal "that we freeze the monthly rate on existing adjustable rate mortgages for at least five years."

He had nothing positive to say, however, about her foreclosure moratorium, and did condemn the plan.

ALSO: Obama's foreclosure moratorium would not, unlike Clinton's, be imposed unilaterally; it would be a condition of participation in the $700 million bailout. So -- unlike Clinton's plan -- it's, in a sense, it's a matter of reciprocity between the banks and the government, a cost to the banks of the infusion of money.

Article

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

richpo64

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »
>>I posted several things I would do and one of them was the idea that we should give homeowners three months freeze on paying their mortgages payments ...<<

Are you giving everyone three months off? After the three months, do you have to pay that back? All at once? Spread out over ... how long? Or not at all? With interest? Who absorbs the loss? The banks? Wouldn't that lead to more trouble?

>>and those under a certain amount get a stimulus package to get it together and those over a certain amount would have the time to get their shiznit together.<<

Under what amount? What do you base that amount on? How much time? How much of thier shiznet do they have to get together? Do they have to pay this money back? With interest?

richpo64

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
>>In February, after Hillary Clinton proposed a similar foreclosure moratorium, the Los Angeles Times reported that Obama condemned her plan:<<

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »
I posted several things I would do and one of them was the idea that we should give homeowners three months freeze on paying their mortgages payments and those under a certain amount get a stimulus package to get it together and those over a certain amount would have the time to get their shiznit together.

A moratorium on foreclosures is not the same thing as a freeze on payments.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:34:42 AM »

A moratorium on foreclosures is not the same thing as a freeze on payments.

This is entirely correct.
A moratorium  on foreclosures means they cannot throw the mortgagees out of their houses. This makes the house pretty hard to sell, I imagine.

A freeze on payments means that the mortgagee can stop paying monthly payments. They could and probably would be paid at a later date.

The mortgagees would probably not be evicted if there was a freeze on payments.

The goal is to keep them in their houses, and keep them paying something, eventually, to the banks.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »
Obama Uses a Brassmask Idea.

Is that an endorsement or an indictment?
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »
Is that an endorsement or an indictment?

THis would agree with whether it's a workable idea or not.

If you are judging something based on who thought it up, then that is more like guilt by association, and that is invalid logic.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."