Author Topic: Obama says Blacks Probably don't Watch "Meet The Press" then laughs  (Read 1587 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama says Blacks Probably don't Watch "Meet The Press" then laughs
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 01:03:33 AM »
By itself it probably is a non-issue. If a Republican had said it though, I think the media would make it a major issue.

These little issues start to add up. It shows the boneheaded remarks Obama makes when he is not on teleprompter. It is the equivalent of saying he bowls like he is in the Special Olympics. It was a snide comment.

Thanks, man.

I think Scott will pull it out, although I did vote for McCullum in the primary.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 02:08:12 AM »
The people at Nielsen would have the facts on this, but I would say that since Meet the Press airs on Sunday morning, that a majority of Black people who might otherwise watch it would be in church. Meet the Press, and the rest of the "Sunday Morning Gasbag" shows, as Calvin Trillin calls them, are not watched by a high percentage of viewers, White or Black. We used to have discussions about politics at my college, where most of the faculty was Black, and the only two people in the lunchroom discussion bunch that ever seemed to watch any of the Sunday morning interview shows were an Indian Biology professor, Dr Chaudhri, and myself.

So I would say that the President is right about this, and it is hardly any big deal. It would not be taken as any sort of insult by anyone I know. The favorite interview show we discussed was Tavis Smiley's, by the way.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »
The people at Nielsen would have the facts on this, but I would say that since Meet the Press airs on Sunday morning, that a majority of Black people who might otherwise watch it would be in church. Meet the Press, and the rest of the "Sunday Morning Gasbag" shows, as Calvin Trillin calls them, are not watched by a high percentage of viewers, White or Black. We used to have discussions about politics at my college, where most of the faculty was Black, and the only two people in the lunchroom discussion bunch that ever seemed to watch any of the Sunday morning interview shows were an Indian Biology professor, Dr Chaudhri, and myself.

So I would say that the President is right about this, and it is hardly any big deal. It would not be taken as any sort of insult by anyone I know. The favorite interview show we discussed was Tavis Smiley's, by the way.

Why do you treat black people different than you treat white people? Is it because you believe blacks to be inferior to whites? Why do you judge Obama different than white presidents? Is it because Obama is black (inferior) and needs your Affirmative Action help to compete with the superior white presidents, like GW Bush?

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
From experience, I used to tape MTP when I used to watch it with Tim Russert. Or I used to watch it later in the day on one of the reruns on cable, so anybody in church that was interested in watching it could if they wanted. Obama did not say anything about church though, because this was a backhanded comment about black people he made when he wasn't being told what to say by a teleprompter. All black people do not go to church and if they did a lot go Wednesday or Sunday night. MTP with Tim Russert used to be one the most highly rated shows, and it still is the highest rated Sunday show today with millions of viewers, so I'm not buying your statement that no black people watch it. Of course they do. Obama was just insulting them.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 12:00:26 PM »
I did not say NO Black people watch Meet the Press, I said comparatively few White people watch it, and the percentage among Black people is lower than that.

Again, Nielsen figures would be the evidence here, but they are not releasing them.

It is not insulting to tell you that White folks like you do not watch Tavis Smiley or Oprah; I fail to see how it is insulting to Black people to suggest that they don't watch Meet the Press.

We are talking about two groups of Black people here: there are the real Black people and then there are the ones that you imagine in your sheltered  narrow mind. I am sure the Black people in your mind always watch Meet the Press, always vote Democratic, and eat lots of chicken and watermelon. But the real ones are not like those that inhabit your mind.

Very few Real Black people would be offended by Obama's statement. Perhaps Michael Steele or one of those ranting rightwing Black vets might CLAIM to be offended, but very few.

You must be some sort of political junkie: I never have taped anything like Meet the Press, because I know that if anything truly important is said, it will appear in the news and I can catch it online later.

I occasionally record movies and PBS specials. The ones on Whaling, Hoboes, and the latest American Experience special on Religion in America  were all excellent. I don't think all that many people record Sunday talk shows.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
I did not say NO Black people watch Meet the Press

Obama did. And then thought his comment was so funny.