Author Topic: Ron Paul suggests some books for Rudy Giuliani to read  (Read 1684 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ron Paul suggests some books for Rudy Giuliani to read
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Candidate Paul assigns reading to Giuliani

By Andy Sullivan
Reuters
Thursday, May 24, 2007; 2:24 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Longshot Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul on Thursday gave front-runner Rudy Giuliani a list of foreign-policy books to back up his contention that attacks by Islamic militants are fueled by the U.S. presence in the Middle East.

"I'm giving Mr. Giuliani a reading assignment," the nine-term Texas congressman said as he stood behind a stack of books that included the report by the commission that examined the attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001.

[...]

Paul said it was irresponsible of Giuliani and other leaders to not examine the motivations of al Qaeda and other radical Islamic groups.

Among the books on Paul's reading list were: "Dying to Win," which argues that suicide bombers only mobilize against an occupying force; "Blowback," which examines the unintended consequences of U.S. foreign policy; and the 9/11 Commission Report, which says that al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was angered by the presence of U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia.

Another book on the list was "Imperial Hubris," whose author appeared at the press conference to offer support for Paul.

"Foreign policy is about protecting America," said author Michael Scheuer, who used to head the CIA's bin Laden unit. "Our foreign policy is doing the opposite."

A Giuliani campaign official could not confirm whether he had read any of the books on Paul's list.

WASHINGTONPOST.COM
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

domer

Re: Ron Paul suggests some books for Rudy Giuliani to read
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »
As I see things, Prince, your quoting Ron Paul's comments may presage an "opening" of the Iraq War debate in the Republican campaign season, a good thing, and perhaps stimulate debate anew here for a topic that, if not inexhaustible, is nonetheless far from finished. There is particular danger that Giuliani (one of the goofiest charismatic figures I've ever witnessed) could gain the momentum of a snowball rolling downhill in his neo-tough guy stance (Bush, Jr. being the latest and most egregious), which could lead to a splat! if he ignores Paul's warnings (not necessarily Paul's policies).

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:12:52 PM »
In this instance, Domer, I hope you're completely correct.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:25:22 PM »
"...Among the books on Paul's reading list were: "Dying to Win," which argues that suicide bombers only mobilize against an occupying force; ...."

This can't be too well thought out , in the Civil War and WWII suicide missions became common in the desperate late stages  , but halted soon after occupation.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »

This can't be too well thought out

I suggest you should not judge a book based on a half of a sentence synopsis.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 01:52:20 AM »

This can't be too well thought out

I suggest you should not judge a book based on a half of a sentence synopsis.

I don't have the book , I am evaluateing the synopisis.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 02:08:46 AM »

I don't have the book , I am evaluateing the synopisis.

Still not the wisest course, I'm pretty sure.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 03:51:21 AM »
I read what you gave , did you read the actual book?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 05:13:28 AM »

I read what you gave , did you read the actual book?

I have not. But I know where to find something more than a half a sentence synopsis for the book. Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_to_Win:_The_Strategic_Logic_of_Suicide_Terrorism