Author Topic: Now, Charlie Rangel insults our troops  (Read 1687 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Now, Charlie Rangel insults our troops
« on: November 26, 2006, 09:51:57 PM »
Rangel: Men Join The Army Only If They Can’t Have A “Decent Career”

by Jay on 11-26-06 @ 8:01 pm

Charlie Rangel said:
I want to make it abundantly clear: if there’s anyone who believes that these youngsters want to fight, as the Pentagon and some generals have said, you can just forget about it. No young, bright individual wants to fight just because of a bonus and just because of educational benefits. And most all of them come from communities of very, very high unemployment. If a young fella has an option of having a decent career or joining the army to fight in Iraq, you can bet your life that he would not be in Iraq.

As soon as the Democrats take control they allow people like Rangel to be their mouthpieces and just as quickly find a foot in that mouth. This quote is Rangel’s explanation of why he supports the draft. One would think after the Kerry episode these idiots would be more careful in how they word things. I don’t know how anyone could interpret Rangel’s statement as anything other than a direct insult to those serving in our military. Apparently, Rangel does not believe being in the army is a decent career. Many people in the military do make the choice to join because of a conviction to a patriotic duty. Those are the kind of people I want in our military. If we were to follow Rangel’s advice of a draft our military would be full of people that do not want to be there.

Pay attention to what Rangel is saying, it is the economic and educational benefits that are the main attraction for people to enlist. To follow his logic we could just repeal all of these and we wouldn’t have any volunteers.

http://stoptheaclu.com/archives/2006/11/26/rangel-men-join-the-army-only-if-they-cant-have-a-decent-career/

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Now, Charlie Rangel insults our troops
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 11:17:53 PM »
Pay attention to what Rangel is saying, it is the economic and educational benefits that are the main attraction for people to enlist. To follow his logic we could just repeal all of these and we wouldn’t have any volunteers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, you think we would have the same number of volunteers if there were no signup bonuses or college money? Perhaps the services would be exclusively composed of ultra-patriotic Yalie Bonesmen and other Ivy Leavue volunteers, who have been reluctant to sign up now because they don't want to serve with mercenaries.

Unemployment feeds wars, first because it gives jobs to the young who become soldiers, and their elders, who can make the arms.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »
There seems to be little problem with unemployment right now.

I think Rangle is partly right , I have met some enlisted who were considering the military as a starter job or as a way to fund higher education , I have even met enlisted from urban areas who told me that their choice seemed to be between McDonalds , Crime or the Military.

Of course I met these guys during the Clinton administration during a period of good employment figures then too.

Most Soldiers and Sailors are patriots who could have chosen something elese to do.

Those who really need the military just to have a job ought to be glad it is there for them.

domer70

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »
Within limits, which I won't attempt to define now, Charlie Rangel appears to be right on in his comments. There is a spectrum in the military, from graduated cadets to career-bound enlistees to patriotic stalwarts to decent kids with no better alternative. Charlie speaks to the latter group, which his demographic amply represents. It is a simple truth, and it is unfair. His provocative (but non-strater) idea of a draft is a powerful way to focus attention on this phenomenon. If a draft were in place, not only would there be more equity in bearing the burden of war, but there would also be a more engaged and effective grassroots politics as to how and when we go to war. Maybe, just maybe, a draft would engage the country so deeply that only but the essential wars would be fought. (Incidentally, I laugh with scorn at Ricky and his "alternate career" in a time of great national military need.)