Author Topic: Stupid parent tricks  (Read 2523 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stupid parent tricks
« on: April 27, 2007, 12:55:58 PM »
'Helicopter' parents hover when kids job hunt
By Stephanie Armour, USA TODAY

Employers are finding that parents are increasingly involved in their children's job choices, as "helicopter parenting" extends to the workplace.

As Generation Y enters the job force, parents of new hires are calling employers to negotiate salary and benefits, and some are even showing up at job fairs. It's a new dynamic that has some employers responding by training recruiters and managers how to handle "helicopter parents," who hover over their children's lives.

•At Hewlett-Packard, parents have gone as far as contacting the company after their child gets a job offer. They want to talk about their son's or daughter's salary, relocation packages and scholarship programs.

"Parents are contacting us directly," says Betty Smith, a university recruiting manager at HP. "This generation is not embarrassed by it. They're asking for parents' involvement."

She recalls one job fair in Texas "where the parent was there at our booth asking about benefits." The company has trained recruiters in how to handle parents.

•At Weber Shandwick, a global public relations firm, a father recently called the company to inquire about how his son could apply for its Atlanta internship program.

"I was very surprised. I answered my phone, and he said he had a son interested in internships," says Jennifer Seymour, who runs the intern program at the Atlanta office, where two full-time internships are offered every summer. They largely go to recent college graduates. She says helicopter parents create a negative view among hiring managers. "It hurts. Absolutely."

•At insurance provider Chubb, employees have helped their children get jobs at the company. Mary Troianello, 56, a senior administrative assistant, who has worked in human resources and other jobs for Chubb for about 16 years, helped her daughter Leah, 25, tweak her résumé, submitted it to the human resources department and helped her pick an interview suit and prepare for the interview. Leah got the job in accounts payable.

"I didn't feel the colleges were doing enough in that area," Mary says. "The (graduates) really don't have a clue. They're lost."

But too much parental involvement can backfire: Employers may shy away from job candidates because they don't want to deal with parents.

"Psychologically, it's somewhat eroding. When an employer is hiring someone, they're hiring an adult for an adult job, and then they have to deal with a parent," says Charles Wardell in New York, the managing director and head of the northeast region at Korn/Ferry. "There comes a time when you've prepared children, and you need to let go."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2007-04-23-helicopter-parents-usat_N.htm

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Stupid parent tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 01:33:52 PM »
I wouldn`t hire that appilcant also.
I just don`t want hear from the partent if I got a problem with a employee.
but I`ll admit college truely doesn`t prepare their graduate how to get jobs.
it really needs to be address
the parent route isn`t the answer.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 01:40:45 PM »
My younger son walked all around town with a friend putting in applications.  A few days later, there was a call from a pizza place, but we hadn't ordered. I thought someone was playing a prank.  Wrong! It was for my son, he was hired as soon as he could get his work permit signed (by the counselor at school, the doctor, me, and the Board of Education). 
Just got his first paycheck yesterday, it all went for prom tickets and a tux.   He loves it. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »
I`ve never dealt with work permits.
I had no ideas it was so involve for a teenager to work
in the 80`s most teenagers had jobs.
the movie fast times in ridgemont high showcase that very fact.
do alot teenagers now have jobs?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »
Yes, lots of teens here  have jobs.  I had no idea a work permit was needed. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
The work permits are required to keep employers from overworking teens who should, ideally, be focusing on school.  The kids I know who work while in high school are trying to save money for college, or need to pay for their own car insurance and related driving expenses.

My daughter is trying to raise money for a trip to Europe this summer - she's been chosen as a student ambassador for the People to People program, and the total cost is around $6,000.  She did have a job at our eye doctor's office, but she ended up quitting and is looking for something else.  In the meantime, she's been buying candy bars in bulk at Sam's and reselling them at school for a profit; the school district removed all the candy machines from the campuses, and apparently after this year won't even be allowing the students to sell candy for school-sponsored fund-raisers.  Between her proceeds from that, babysitting, pet sitting, and donations from sponsors, she's about at the halfway mark.

Most kids, though, just want to be able to earn their own spending money for clothes and entertainment, and it definitely helps their parents out.  The movie theater here just raised their ticket prices; the bargain ticket now costs $7.00 and regular price is $9.75.  And gas prices here are as high as $3.28 at some stations.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
I think it`s totally great your daughter is reselling candy and taking advantage of the health craze.
look-up part-time filing jobs for law firms
the pay is usually above average
we had a few high school kids in my firm work for the summer
I don`t know if your area allows that
I wish I knew about this in my teen years.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
Warren Buffet recounts a tale of buying CokaCola and carrying it round the bock to resell at a little league game whenhe was just a child.

Eventually the same sort of deal repeated enough made him the Coka cola compay's biggest shareholder.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »
they do that now in vegas in the summer
guys buy a cooler full of bottle water and sell it at the strip in the 100+degree weather.
I think it`s a great idea
just like those snow chain installers in the winter time
at a certain weather the law requires all cars to where chains and these guys make serious bucks
and it`s  totally worth it
I saw a guy ignore the chain stop and keeped driving and lost control and brushed a truck.
nobody got hurt but it was scarey

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 09:14:09 PM »
they do that now in vegas in the summer
guys buy a cooler full of bottle water and sell it at the strip in the 100+degree weather.

Arnold did this when he was a kid as well.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)