Author Topic: Public-spirited gentlemen  (Read 662 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Public-spirited gentlemen
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:09:12 AM »
June 08, 2007
Shorter Reggie: I Will Remember Your Interest in Public Service the Next Time Someone Really Needs It

by emptywheel

As I was reading the Amicus Brief from Robert Bork and friends today, I was thinking to myself, "Jeebus! They sure pulled this together quickly, with 12 fancy lawyers agreeing on a brief within 72 hours. You think maybe they had this in the works ahead of time?"

Well, apparently, Judge Walton is thinking the same kind of thing. Check out the footnote in his order allowing Bork and friends to submit their brief.

It is an impressive show of public service when twelve prominent and distinguished current and former law professors of well-respected schools are able to amass their collective wisdom in the course of only several days to provide their legal expertise to the Court on behalf of a criminal defendant. The Court trusts that this is a reflection of these eminent academics' willingness in the future to step to the plate and provide like assistance in cases involving any of the numerous litigants, both in this Court and throughout the courts of our nation, who lack the financial means to fully and properly articulate the merits of their legal positions even in instances where failure to do so could result in monetary penalties, incarceration, or worse. The Court will certainly not hesitate to call for such assistance from these luminaries, as necessary in the interests of justice and equity, whenever similar questions arise in the cases that come before it.

Ouch! You think maybe he didn't appreciate the heavy-handed intervention into his case? You think maybe he didn't appreciate having 12 fancy lawyers suggest he can't make his own decision in this matter?

I'm reminded of Judge Walton's face when Ted Wells insisted on reading the letters from Wolfie et al before the sentencing. He was staring up at the ceiling with his lips pursed, a look of disgust that Team Libby insisted on carrying out their big show regardless of any effect it might have on Walton. Walton was just a prop, it seemed, in Ted Wells' circus.

And from the look of things, Walton isn't any happier about this latest stunt. I'm not so sure that the Bork brief is as easy to ignore as Wolfowitz' letter. But Team Libby sure seems prepared to piss off Walton to get what they want out of him.

http://thenexthurrah.typepad.com/the_next_hurrah/
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.