Author Topic: the fierce urgency of now  (Read 1832 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
the fierce urgency of now
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »
Reviving Camelot?

Obama's appeal transcends race and party. His Iowa victory suggests that it may be possible to reclaim the national unity America has lost.
By Eleanor Clift
Newsweek Web Exclusive
Updated: 3:38 PM ET Jan 4, 2008

When John F. Kennedy sought the presidency in 1960, Lyndon B. Johnson, the seasoned Senate leader who would become his running mate, looked down on the young upstart and complained he hadn't done anything to warrant such lofty ambition. Kennedy was an undistinguished senator, but he had been in the Senate for eight years after moving up from the House, where he was first elected in 1947. Imagine what LBJ would say about Barack Obama, who has barely three years in the Senate, one of which has been spent running for president.

The Senate is not an institution eager to accommodate people who want to make a fast start, and Obama has gained the endorsement of only two colleagues, Richard Durbin, the senior senator from his home state of Illinois, and Kent Conrad of North Dakota, a state no Democrat will carry. By contrast, Hillary Clinton, who's paid her dues on Capitol Hill, has 10 endorsements from Senate Democrats. We can only guess what earthy expression LBJ might employ to assess Obama's meager accomplishments in the Senate, but it's beside the point because that's not how the voters are sizing him up.

What Obama has is Kennedy's ability to inspire and to play the generation card. When Obama talks about "the fierce urgency of now" and warns against those counseling patience, he's dissing a return to the Clinton years, but he's also echoing JFK's Inaugural declaration, "The torch has passed to a new generation of Americans." How can we know whether Obama--now buoyed by his victory in Iowa--will prove comparable in substance and actual performance to the figure that lives on in our collective imagination? Bill Clinton, on the Charlie Rose show some weeks ago, said a vote for Obama is a "roll of the dice." It was characterized as a negative attack, but it's true.

In the Senate gallery, tourists hang over the balcony to catch a better view of the junior senator until the cops shoo them back. Obama represents the possibility of reclaiming the national unity America has lost, and his appeal transcends race and party. Republicans are more fearful of him than Hillary Clinton as the nominee because they don't know how to run against him any more than Hillary does. Portraying Obama as too liberal is an old saw that has lost its resonance. As for experience, it fell flat for Hillary in Iowa. Ted Sorensen, the venerable wordsmith who advised JFK, asks, "What experience? Just because she lived there? I have three boys who played hide and seek in the White House."

Sorensen has overcome age (he'll be 80 in May) and disability (he's lost much of his sight but not his vision) to campaign for Obama. It is the first time in more than 40 years that he has gotten this excited about a candidate. He recalls that Kennedy was not yet 40 years old when he began exploring the possibility of becoming president. Obama is 46. It's not how many years you live in the White House, or your contacts with foreign leaders, or even your personality, he says, that make a great president. "What matters is judgment." The first chapter of Sorensen's upcoming memoir is about the Cuban missile crisis and those 13 days in October of 1962 when the world teetered on the edge of a nuclear exchange. Kennedy broke with conventional thinking to negotiate with Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev at the height of the crisis. Soviet missiles were withdrawn after an exchange of personal letters.

Sorensen's memoir is due out in May with the title "Counselor: A Life on the Edge of History." He recalls with wonder that JFK hired him, a Nebraska boy who had not gone to Harvard, who hadn't served in World War II, and who was untested by Washington standards. His admiration for Kennedy is undiminished by time, and what he sees in Obama is a similar willingness to have an open presidency, to consider new ideas, and to break with Washington groupthink. "I don't want this book to be a partisan screed, but I do reflect on what happened to the Kennedy legacy and why I'm taking part in this campaign despite age and disability." Sorensen believes that electing Obama would represent such profound change in the image America presents to the world that it would help regain much of the ground lost these last seven years. 

Unaccustomed to writing in the first person and struggling with his diminished sight, the result of a stroke, Sorensen took almost six years to complete the book. He promises a fuller account of familiar events, some new correspondence from Jackie Kennedy, and perhaps more light on the widely held belief that he wrote Kennedy's Pulitzer Prize-winning "Profiles of Courage." He jokes that if there's another book in him, it would be titled, "I'm Not the Author of 'Profiles of Courage,' But If I Were, This Is How I Would Have Gone About It." For now, he's settled into a familiar role as counselor to another young upstart whose sense of possibility rekindles a time long past but never forgotten.

URL: http://www.newsweek.com/id/84399

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Re: the fierce urgency of now
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:07:39 PM »
This seems to be a recurring theme in this election, that it is shaping up to be a choice between generations.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:23:06 PM »
The phrase is extremely interesting - "the fierce urgency of now."
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »
<<The phrase is extremely interesting - "the fierce urgency of now.">>

Fans of the Larry David sitcom "Curb Your Enthusiasm" will undoubtedly recall the lavish over-use of "fierce" by Larry's gay dance-master, trying to whip him into shape for a role in Mel Brooks' "The Producers."  Apparently, it's a cliche in the dance world.

On a more serious note, if Ted Sorenson's for Obama, that's good enough for me.  I don't think it's healthy to let cynicism gain the upper hand over hope.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:23:56 PM by Michael Tee »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »
Perhaps Obama is gay as well as a non threatening black.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »
I don't get it.  Surely you're not saying that Sorenson's a gay racist?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »
Surely you're not saying that Sorenson's a gay racist?

Nah, Sorenson is taking one last ride on the merry-go-round.

You inserted the gay reference, and other articles i have read discuss the non threatening blackness (think Denzel vs Ice-T) of Obama.

Seems Obama is a generation bending, racial barrier mending guy with a gay twist.

Interesting dynamic.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply that either Sorenson or Obama was gay.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
There was a Smashing Pumpkins song that used the line..."resolute urgency of now."
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 04:17:40 AM »
Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply that either Sorenson or Obama was gay.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!

Good use of cliche'.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

You inserted the gay reference, and other articles i have read discuss the non threatening blackness (think Denzel vs Ice-T) of Obama.

Seems Obama is a generation bending, racial barrier mending guy with a gay twist.

Interesting dynamic.

This entire issue of "being black enough" is in itself racist. It is interesting that it is also the liberal viewpoint that keeps bringing this up. Focusing on "how black are you?" seems itself to live in a past of bigotry and racism. Until we learn to see past these issues and move on into a colorblind era as typified by Star Trek, we will continue to wallow in divisivee issues such as racism and bigotry.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »
Nah, Sorenson is taking one last ride on the merry-go-round.   You inserted the gay reference, and other articles i have read discuss the non threatening blackness (think Denzel vs Ice-T) of Obama.   Seems Obama is a generation bending, racial barrier mending guy with a gay twist.  Interesting dynamic.

This entire issue of "being black enough" is in itself racist.

ANYTIME you see someone claiming any African American (or any minority for that matter) is "too white", is racist to the core.  When's the last time you ever heard the term that someone was "too black" to hold elective office??  And you think it would get a pass by the MSM and electorate in general?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

yellow_crane

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 10:02:16 PM »

Interesting dynamic.

This entire issue of "being black enough" is in itself racist. It is interesting that it is also the liberal viewpoint that keeps bringing this up. Focusing on "how black are you?" seems itself to live in a past of bigotry and racism. Until we learn to see past these issues and move on into a colorblind era as typified by Star Trek, we will continue to wallow in divisivee issues such as racism and bigotry.

Actually, we are seeing a possible eclipse in the evolutionary progression of race representation in politics in our country, when talking about a Black president.

A newly elected Black president in America would seem to be a mite soon, were it not for circumstances that are extenuating.

Were Barack a Detroit street nigger or a Tom from Tennessee, I doubt he would be where he is, even if his gifts were exactly alike in both instances.

The elipse occurs because we are looking directly at an otherly born Black of the world from across the seas, not a Mississippi born cotton hand.  Because we can call him a proper Black African, even though he was reared elsewhere, we do not have to drag in all that painful slavery issue stuff.  He represents the world, not Little Rock.  And he fails to remind one of Malcolm.

And if he came from Little Rock or Birmingham, he would almost certainly have a police record, as all Blacks are routinely besmirched by these extra-legal activities of the klan who wear badges in vast areas of Dixie.  To be fair, Blacks suffer from police harrassment--which often destroys their future's prospects--all over the nation, including Minneapolis, a city like Yellow Springs dedicated to engaging a new dialogue regarding Blacks and their lower earth totems.

And as far as couth, they are saying that Obama is a wine partaker while Hillary is a beer swigger.  This would put Obama in league with the Starbucks crowd, while Hillary wins the bubba vote.  A toss up, because while the bubbas outnumber the soft shoes at Starbucks, many of them will be entirely too hung over or likewise unmotivated to get to the precincts.

And Hillary, who is the highest possible yellow, barely qualifies for being Black:  she does because Bill is cool and has a free pass in Harlem.

Just kidding.

Obama may be unjustly pained by not being Black enough, while on the other hand, no one can say he is not vanilla enough.

Obama is not racist, he just plugs in.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »
Excellent post, Crane. I definitely learned from it.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D