Author Topic: Is Anybody Out There?  (Read 9713 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is Anybody Out There?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
<<Back to the main topic: what do you think the odds are that we will ever make contact with one or more extraterrestrial civilizations? I suppose that this depends on the time period involved.>>

From a purely pragmatic point of view, the human race won't last long enough to make contact, using the methods presently available. 

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 03:30:50 PM »
It seems to me that, lamentably, there will be no Federation of Planets, no Klingon Empire, no Dominion, no Romulan Empire, and no Breen(little is know of the Breen), or anything like them.

ok
there`s a line that people shouldn`t cross here.
you`ve gone too far now

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 03:39:46 PM »
Back to the main topic: what do you think the odds are that we will ever make contact with one or more extraterrestrial civilizations? I suppose that this depends on the time period involved.

I think the odds are pretty good - which is why I've donated hundreds of thousands of hours of CPU time to SETI.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 03:59:26 PM »
I like to believe thier already here, but as hyper-responsible tourist who are too advance to make any mistakes for us to stop them.

or we're too slow to catch on.

like men in black #1 portrayed

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
I see it as a possibility, though not a probability, that eventually, we will make some sort of contact. But by eventually, I mean a very long period far into the future.

Men in Black was a cool film, but I do not take it as more than comedy. I do admire those who designed the aliens.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »
Men in Black was a cool film, but I do not take it as more than comedy. I do admire those who designed the aliens.

Babylon 5 was a more realistic treatment of our likely future.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Babylon 5 was not bad at all, nor was Star Trek, both were better than Star Wars. But the main problem of portraying aliens is the need to have them portrayed by humans, unless we do them as animated critters, which seems to be a path that Sci-Fi will take after Avatar and District 9. What is it they say: "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine; it is stranger than we CAN imagine."  I would say that we can expect anything at any time, but it is statistically improbable to do so.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »
When was the shot of the saucer-like alien thing taken?

It could have been a FrisbeeĀ® in a faked video. Or some experimental aircraft.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »
When was the shot of the saucer-like alien thing taken?

Over the weekend. The British military have reviewed the video and so far they have not claimed that it was faked, but they have not really said much else about it.

The most likely explanation I have heard is that it was an unmanned drone of some sort being tested by the military, and the jets were an observation team.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »
That makes more sense.

More likely than Kang and Kodos, the Space mutants on the Simpsons. They do have a saucer-shaped craft, though.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
uhm
we`re getting kinda close

Moller m200x

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 01:17:26 AM »
Have you all seen this? Someone might have picked it up before in here and I missed it, but if not, enjoy. A little close to home. Doh!

Mayor sends in troops after alien April Fool panic
A local newspaper's April Fool chronicling a late-night visit by 10ft aliens sparked panic in a town in Jordan.

The Al Ghad newspaper published a front-page article claiming a UFO landing near the desert town of Jafr.

The report said the aliens lit up the whole town, interrupted communications and sent fearful residents streaming into the streets.

Jafr's mayor, Mohammed Mleihan, was fooled by the paper's prank and sent security authorities in search of the aliens.

"Students didn't go to school, their parents were frightened and I almost evacuated the town's 13,000 residents," he said. "People were scared that aliens would attack them."

A Jordanian security official, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss security issues, said an emergency plan was almost enacted in Jafr.

Mleihan said he may sue the daily for its "big lie," but added that the paper had called to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the joke.

Al Ghad's managing editor, Moussa Barhoumeh, tried to defuse the situation, saying the report has been "blown out of proportion."

"We meant to entertain, not scare people," he said.

The prank was reminiscent of the 1938 radio broadcast of War of the Worlds which provoked panic in America.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/jordan/7557129/Mayor-sends-in-troops-after-alien-April-Fool-panic.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
I think I saw something about this.

I doubt that aliens have been here recently, if at all. I think that the first sign of their will be some sort of electronic, rather than personal, encounter, done from a great distance.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
I doubt that aliens have been here recently, if at all. I think that the first sign of their will be some sort of electronic, rather than personal, encounter, done from a great distance.

like the movie "contact"

but how about surrogate humans to be amoung us?

they may not be human, but using remote drones might be done .

but then should we be looking a those slow aging rarely sick folks with suspicion?
ex. dick clark