Author Topic: Is Anybody Out There?  (Read 9713 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is Anybody Out There?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
I think we will just have to wait for the aliens to arrive in order to see what form their contact will be l
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 03:40:58 AM »
duh!!

my idea is avatar in reverse

damn I`m slow

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
Men in Black was a cool film, but I do not take it as more than comedy. I do admire those who designed the aliens.

Babylon 5 was a more realistic treatment of our likely future.

and, along with Serenity, the BEST sci-fi series EVER, in my opinion.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
     Babilon 5 assumes that once we cross over to several other solar systems we will find and trade with and war with new species of senitant beings.

This might be quite unlikely based solely on the assumed distance between likely hospitable planets seems to be growing.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
ah, but it is science FICTION...and entertaining. Plus, Tracy Scroggins was HOT!
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
ah, but it is science FICTION...and entertaining. Plus, Tracy Scroggins was HOT!

Well said .

Fiction like this can amount to a thought experiment, when taken seriously , or entertainment when not.

It would be nice to find a mentoring highly intelligent and peaceloveing advanced spacefairing people to interact with. Maybe we could become their pets?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 10:39:04 PM »
I doubt that there would be many Americans that would wish to be the pets of an alien race.

What I would suspect would happen would be a desire to convert the heathen aliens to Christianity and Islam (and perhaps various sects within these), and at the same time, religious crackpots preaching a garbled version of the alien religion to Americans, most likely for financial advantage.

If the aliens were red and had horns and hooves, that might make lessen the desirability, of course.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »
If the aliens were red and had horns and hooves, that might make lessen the desirability, of course.

Oh, you have read Arther C Clarke?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
I believe that I read everything Clarke wrote up to 1964. I was not consciously thinking of this when I wrote that post, though. Clarke was a great SF writer, in my opinion.

Diabolical-looking characters would be a tough sell.

I sort of liked the idea of the character "Q" on Star Trek TNG. Q was a character who belonged to a race of immortal shapeshifters with many superpowers, and seemed to have all the attributes of God, except I don't think they created the Universe. Their biggest problem was boredom. They'd all been everywhere and done everything.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
I believe that I read everything Clarke wrote up to 1964. I was not consciously thinking of this when I wrote that post, though. Clarke was a great SF writer, in my opinion.

Diabolical-looking characters would be a tough sell.

I sort of liked the idea of the character "Q" on Star Trek TNG. Q was a character who belonged to a race of immortal shapeshifters with many superpowers, and seemed to have all the attributes of God, except I don't think they created the Universe. Their biggest problem was boredom. They'd all been everywhere and done everything.

In" Childhoods End" Clarke explores the possibility that an advanced sort of alien might want to ____________(spoiler excised) the human race after we had adapted to like the notion.
One of the major caricters is shaped much as the medeviel artist might have drawn him.

The explanation being that Human beings are a lot more psycic than we realise .

If any aliens show up in the near future , then we will see them sporting a lot of new (to us tecnology) perhaps suffeciently advanced to resemble magic. Whether they have a good attitude or not will be very important.