Author Topic: Total Loser Strategy  (Read 985 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Total Loser Strategy
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »
?Total Loser Strategy?
Jennifer Rubin - 09.15.2008 - 10:29 AM

Mickey Kaus posits: ?The current lib blog-MSM-campaign tack?getting outraged by McCain?s ?lies??is a total loser strategy.? (Yes, the three hyphenated allies are joined at the hip but you already knew that.) I think he?s right that it makes them all look weak, whiny and in cahoots with one another.

But there is a good reason to do it. They are preparing their excuses for defeat. No matter how foolhardy the Democratic primary voters in selecting a high risk candidate, no matter how bizarre the policy choices of that candidate, no matter how outlandishly wrong the conventional press wisdom and no matter how inept the campaign operation there is a cure-all excuse: McCain lied, our hopes died.

I am not saying Barack Obama is going to lose; I am saying the Obama Gang of Three (i.e. the mind-melded bloggers/MSM/campaign operation) now thinks that is a distinct possibility. So how to explain how they all messed up? When in doubt, revive the Lee Atwater/Karl Rove/Gore v. Bush/Swiftboat rationale which is ?It is never our fault.?

The problem, of course, is that doesn?t work if the aim is to win elections. In fact the opposite occurs: the cures (e.g. violent partisan counterpunches, media whining) usually turn off key Independent voters. But if the aim is to save face with your peer groups (e.g. fellow journalists, campaign donors, political operatives) who want to know what the heck went wrong, it works as well as anything.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/rubin/30431

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Total Loser Strategy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:24:40 AM »
He's got a point.  The negative attacks aren't turning this around.

We need to refine "negative ads" - - some work, some don't.

I'd say that broadly speaking there are two kinds of negative ads, (1) pure attack ads and (2) victimization ads.

Pure attack ads:  Black-assed motherfucker, commie, Jew, pervert, coward, traitor, Muslim
Victimization ads:  Liar, hypocrite, Nazi, racist, war criminal

The pure attack ads focus the consumer's anger on the target and fan his hate to the point where he will never be able to vote for the target.

The victimization ads will fail for two reasons, (1) most people don't give a shit about victimizers unless they're one of the victims themselves.  For example to call McCain a Nazi might resonate with Jews who hate Nazis for obvious reasons, but the average American doesn't really give a shit, they weren't victimized by Nazis and want to let bygones be bygones.  Not only that, but they resent the special-interest nature of victim complaints - - since the average American was never victimized by Nazis, they feel an attempt to portray a candidate as a Nazi is an attempt to enlist them in a dispute in which they are not personally concerned.  They could feel that an "American" election is being hijacked by "special interests."

The second reason a "victimization ad" will fail is that it makes the consumer feel abused.  In order to hate a racist (as the ad urges) one must stand in the shoes of the racist's victim.  The pure attack, by contrast, is a feel-good ad.  If you can hate an "inferior" being it means you yourself are seeing through the eyes of the "superior" being, so psychologically you can put yourself in the place of the all-powerful victimizer.  To feel resentment TOWARDS a victimizer, one has to put oneself in the same position as the victim class - - weaker, impotent, etc.   Thus, most people who are not actual victims of the person being attacked will feel uncomfortable that they are even being asked to feel what a black feels towards a racist, what a Jew feels towards a Nazi.  Most Americans would not be comfortable if asked to assume that role and would recoil from any ad that asked them to.

I think we made a big mistake going after Palin as viciously as we did.  We shoulda just laughed her off and pretended to feel sorry for her.  The fire should have been concentrated on McCain, not as war criminal but as too old and over the hill, too much a part of the problem, too backward looking and no forward vision.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:05:02 AM »
That would be hypocritical!

Democrats On Age
September 15th, 2008 at 1:01 pm By: Jay

He said it:

?I doubt we will bring it up in the election. There is somewhat of a higher ethical bar on what we do. We don?t have any Lee Atwaters or Karl Roves on our side.?

The ?he? is Howard Dean and that was what he said April regarding their strategy against John McCain. Sunday on ?This Week? Missouri Senator Claire Atwater-Rove McCaskill made an appearance:

?I think what we?re talking about is a reality,? McCaskill said in an exclusive interview on ?This Week.? ?Other people talk about his melanoma. We?re talking about a reality here that we have to face.?

On Friday, McCaskill had previewed this line of attack, telling Missouri reporters that McCain would be ?one of the oldest presidents we?ve ever had,? according to an account in the Kansas City Star.

On ?This Week,? McCaskill pointed to McCain?s age to question his judgment in picking Sarah Palin as his running mate.

?This is someone who?s going to be one heartbeat away from the presidency,? said McCaskill. ?All of us know it.?

http://therighttobeararms.info/?p=437

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »
I think we made a big mistake going after Palin as viciously as we did.  We shoulda just laughed her off and pretended to feel sorry for her.  The fire should have been concentrated on McCain, not as war criminal but as too old and over the hill, too much a part of the problem, too backward looking and no forward vision.

I agree about victimization ads. But the Democrats could focus on credit card companies and their various nasty moneygrubbing habits, like changing the terms of the agreement unilaterally with gibberish in 1 point type and then sticking the consumer with a $30 late fee for being late in paying off a $10 balance.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
<<I agree about victimization ads. But the Democrats could focus on credit card companies and their various nasty moneygrubbing habits, like changing the terms of the agreement unilaterally with gibberish in 1 point type and then sticking the consumer with a $30 late fee for being late in paying off a $10 balance.>.

Unfortunately, the Democrats have to be very careful in going after credit card companies, since Biden is so closely linked to them.  If you hit them, you have to emphasize the long-term association of the banking business with the Republicans and always be ready to repel the Republican counter-attacks by demonstrating that what they gave Biden was chump change in comparison with their historic Republican links.

This BTW represents the stupidity of picking Biden as the VP candidate - - in addition to nullifying the message of "change," he comes with a lotta baggage from his unnatural connections to his class enemies.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
Biden was not my favorite. He is a smart guy, though. I am unaware of any ties he might have with MasterCard/Visa/Amex/ Discovery.
I thought Hillary would be the best choice, because I don't think Kucinich had a chance of getting the nomination.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
<<Biden was not my favorite. He is a smart guy, though. I am unaware of any ties he might have with MasterCard/Visa/Amex/ Discovery.>>

Biden's vote against leglislation making it easier for debtors to go through bankruptcy was widely attributed to his ties to the consumer credit industry, much of which is apparently centred in Delaware.  I don't have the details of his attachments, though.

<<I thought Hillary would be the best choice, because I don't think Kucinich had a chance of getting the nomination.>>

The question that has to be asked is how did the party of Eleanor Roosevelt, Henry Wallace and Adlai Stevenson become the party in which Dennis Kucinich hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of landing hte nomination.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
Because enough of the left actually still possesses some sanity and hope to attain power, perhaps?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »
That's just begging the question - - when did the likes of Eleanor Roosevelt, Adlai Stevenson or Henry Wallace become roadblocks on the Democrats' road to the White Hose
road?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 06:45:34 PM »
That's just begging the question - - when did the likes of Eleanor Roosevelt, Adlai Stevenson or Henry Wallace become roadblocks on the Democrats' road to the White Hose
road?

Who are you thinking is something like these worthys?

I give a lot of credit to Eleanor Rosevelt , she was key in dragging the Democrats away from reliance on Jim crow support.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »
The question that has to be asked is how did the party of Eleanor Roosevelt, Henry Wallace and Adlai Stevenson become the party in which Dennis Kucinich hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of landing hte nomination.

============================================
Eleanor Roosevelt and Henry Wallace didn't get the presidential nomination, either, and I doubt if this would have even been possible.
I don't see where a short guy named either Dennis or Kucinich could have ever got the presidential nomination at any time of US history. I lament this, because a smart ans gutsy guy like Kucinich is exactly what we need. But alas, the party wouldn't nominate him and the country would not elect him if they did.

Look what is happening now. The Democrats have everything going for them, and the manipulative SOBs somehow manage to upstage them with what is basically a bad Disney movie. All the Sarah Palin story needs is a very smart dog that manages to get ninto minor trouble with the grumpy neighbor or the uptight cop.