Author Topic: Pooch family - Five votes for Barak in VA (and perhaps one for HRC).  (Read 3619 times)

Cynthia

Re: Pooch family - Five votes for Barak in VA (and perhaps one for HRC).
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 12:21:28 AM »
I'm watching the PBS program right now on The Mormon.
Wow, Pooch, this reminds me of all that I learned when was a young girl, growing up around a lot of Mormons in the late 60's.

The church of LDS has come a long way...

At one time the Mormon, according to the program....considered black people to be "representative of the satan" and white folks were  representative of white/goodness. yikes.

Well, not that Catholics are perfect, either...for sure! ( I am a Catholic by choice)There is so much crap that occurs in each and every cranny and nook....ahhh, humankind...So we are not perfect.
But, we need someone to love and  accept us for that imperfection....
God does that for so many.
Jesus does that for so many.

I celebrate your religion, Pooch. When I was young, I studied a lot about Smith in H.S. (Joseph)
My best friend invited me to her church in '68. I was set to meet the Bishop and I almost joined the church. My parents stepped in, of course, as I was only 15. I have always been a journeywoman of sort in terms of religion.

I remember feeling a sense of 'awe" when I heard of my friend's family life.  Each Sunday they celebrated with family at dinner as a group, as they could "talk"... discuss issues, ...Gosh, to have had that bonding of family, what a gift.  We could only hope for such a thing today.
Her brothers did not go to Vietnam, as they were against the war. They were to become missionaries. Again, I was so in awe of all of this.
I just heard that during the Katrina floods, Mormons were there before any other group....even BEFORE the floods arrived. wow!!
Impressive.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:32:08 AM by Cynthia »

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:36 AM »
I'm watching the PBS program right now on The Mormon.
Wow, Pooch, this reminds me of all that I learned when was a young girl, growing up around a lot of Mormons in the late 60's.

The church of LDS has come a long way...

At one time the Mormon, according to the program....considered black people to be "representative of the satan" and white folks were  representative of white/goodness. yikes.

Well, not that Catholics are perfect, either...for sure! ( I am a Catholic by choice)There is so much crap that occurs in each and every cranny and nook....ahhh, humankind...So we are not perfect.
But, we need someone to love and  accept us for that imperfection....
God does that for so many.
Jesus does that for so many.

I celebrate your religion, Pooch. When I was young, I studied a lot about Smith in H.S. (Joseph)
My best friend invited me to her church in '68. I was set to meet the Bishop and I almost joined the church. My parents stepped in, of course, as I was only 15. I have always been a journeywoman of sort in terms of religion.

The one thing I remember feeling so profoundly and awsome, was the way my friend's family seemed to be so very, very close.  They had Sunday dinner as a group each and every week, so they could "talk"... discuss issues, ...Gosh, to have had that bonding of family, what a gift.  We could only hope for such a thing today.

I just heard that during the Katrina floods, Mormons were there before any other group....even BEFORE the floods arrived. wow!!
Impressive.

Doggone it, I forgot that was on again tonight!  I watched it last night and was pretty impressed.  It was nicely balanced.  I don't agree with everything it says, but there was a good attempt to be neither anti-Mormon nor pro-Mormon.  A lot of this show had subjective opinions, but again, they seemed to make a real effort to have representatives from several different perspectives.  Pretty good stuff, from what I saw.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Cynthia

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 12:46:46 AM »
There is a man on now who claims the wrong of the LDS. . . no different from the disappointed young boy who was raped by the priest in the Catholic Church.

God, mankind can be so cruel.

The devil.

There is evil in the world.....lest we be so stupid and naive NOT to know that.

There is the issue of sin.

It's not a matter of....adam/eve alone.

It's a matter of LOVE.

Joseph Smith restored the Church, according to the believers within.

SO, they LOVE GOD, and the Love of Jesus has touched them. I celebrate that.

LOVe is better than hate..any day of the week. .. .
God, we must find a way to LOVE one another........simple, and silly to some...but Love is the key in the end....

I saw that when my eyes were opened to God.

That is truly is the bottom line in the end.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:49:22 AM by Cynthia »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 12:51:02 AM »
McCain will probably get my vote by default in November.  Though I have some questions about his tactics, I can certainly vote for a former POW and war hero.  Unlike many conservatives, I don't get too bent out of shape over his compromise positions and maverick reputation.  Actually, those are selling points to me. 

Yet again, this tends to reinforce my query about if Romney's dropping out, just did in the Dems.  Pooch a strong "righty" gonna go for McCain.  Fatman, a social liberal indicating that if the vote were today, Mccain would probably get it.  sirs, a partisan conservative, now swayed to supporting a McCain, given the alternatives.  I guess that the one thing that can pull this out for Obama, is if what Plane articulated holds all the way into Nov.....Republican apathy.

We shall see
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 01:20:41 AM »
I guess that the one thing that can pull this out for Obama, is if what Plane articulated holds all the way into Nov.....Republican apathy.

That's absolutely the name of the game.  In the end, voter apathy has put an awful lot of people in the White House, and the Dems have an exciting race and the chance to lock up the national leadership.  So unless the Republicans get hot, the Dems could win big.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »
I guess that the one thing that can pull this out for Obama, is if what Plane articulated holds all the way into Nov.....Republican apathy.

That's absolutely the name of the game.  In the end, voter apathy has put an awful lot of people in the White House, and the Dems have an exciting race and the chance to lock up the national leadership.  So unless the Republicans get hot, the Dems could win big.

And if were to occur, then the Dems will dramatically cut the Defense budget so they can load up their social programs, resulting in hundred of thousands of jobs. Oh boy! Can't wait!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:21:53 AM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

fatman

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
Yet again, this tends to reinforce my query about if Romney's dropping out, just did in the Dems.  Pooch a strong "righty" gonna go for McCain.  Fatman, a social liberal indicating that if the vote were today, Mccain would probably get it.  sirs, a partisan conservative, now swayed to supporting a McCain, given the alternatives.  I guess that the one thing that can pull this out for Obama, is if what Plane articulated holds all the way into Nov.....Republican apathy.

I think that if the election comes down to McCain and Obama, I think that McCain has a strong chance, even with Republican apathy.  Obama speaks platitudes, McCain at least has some substance.  One of my dislikes with Obama is that although he's probably the best oratist in the race, he doesn't lay out any details, just keeps going on about change.  Well, change is fine, but I'm not going to support it unless I know what the hell he plans on changing, other than pulling the troops out, which as someone pointed out in another post, could just be words on Obama's part.  One of the big reasons that I support McCain is that a Republican President would be a check to a Democratic Congress, which I expect to grow even more in majority in this election.  I didn't like the Republicans in control of Congress when Bush was President, I'm not going to like a Dem Congress and Dem President either.  It seems like both only function when there is some pressure from the other.

I also realize that McCain will probably "grow" the govt.  I just think that Huckabee will do the same, if not more.  At least McCain is a social liberal/moderate, and that I can live with.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
And if were ot occur, then the Dems will dramatically cut the Defense budget so they can load up their social programs, resulting in hundred of thousands of jobs. Oh boy! Can't wait!

Those "new" jobs will come as a result of the loss of jobs in the defense sector.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:26:41 AM »
However, the skillsets do not necessarily match.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »

I think that if the election comes down to McCain and Obama, I think that McCain has a strong chance, even with Republican apathy.  Obama speaks platitudes, McCain at least has some substance.  One of my dislikes with Obama is that although he's probably the best oratist in the race, he doesn't lay out any details, just keeps going on about change.  

You hit the nail on the head, Fatman.  A ton of utopian-like verbage, yet neither has he ever put a price tag on anything, nor where the money will come from, for this glimpse of utopian nirvana.  One can assume he'd simply slash the defense budget, then of course let the Bush tax cuts, which spearheded us out of a 911 enhanced recession, with unquestionably low uneployment #'s, and a stock market that hit 13000, cease, and that supposedly will take care of everything??  All the while watching the country's economic system tank in the process. 

Did anyone notice how when we had all Dems running congress & the WH, our economy suffered miserably (See Carter).  When we had a Republican Prez (who cut taxes across the board) & Dem congress (that spent like a drunken sailor) the economy did "fairly" well.  When we had a Dem Prez and a GOP congress holding down spending, our country did just as good practically.  Then we had a Republican Prez (who cut taxes across the board) and GOP congress (that spent like drunken sailors), and the economy again did fairly well.  Lastly, we have a Republican Prez and a Dem congress, and low and behold, the economy is now starting to shake (at least that's what current economists are referencing).  Worst thing we can do is bring back a Carter-like scenario.  Yea, there'll be "change" alright.  So much change, we may have to bring back the misery index to properly qualify it

But if that's what the electorate wants......

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle