Author Topic: Of Sirs, horses, and the colloquial 'you' - a lesson in plain English  (Read 1775 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Plane used to be able to see through all the BS and see that. Now he's just as partisan as, well, you are. I guess when you have to spend all your time defending a loser administration, you lose your objectivity."

Note here that Plane is the subject of this paragraph, although the paragraph is in response to a post by Sirs. In fact, the only reference to Sirs is a comparison of Plane's partisanship to his. The last sentence of the paragraph was intended to be, and is, a direct reference to Plane, and not to Sirs himself, despite his continued protestations to the contrary, in effect calling me a liar when I have tried to explain that to him.

Now if I were to be talking to any one of you and I happened to say that 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink', you would know that is not a direct reference to you. Odds are you don't even own a horse, or have any dealings with horses. Sirs probably doesn't own a horse, nor have any dealings with them, though from my vantage point he bears a strong resemblance to the south end of a northbound one. That observation aside, that is an example of the colloquial use of the pronoun 'you'. That is a common, conversational use, that does not necessarily mean that 'you', as it is used in that proverb, has anything to do with whomever I said that to.

Sirs can't seem to understand that. Apparently he cannot understand nuanced speech. Unless it is his, such as when he refers to 'What a tangled web we weave', then tries to weasel out of actually accusing anyone of deception by not finishing the axiom (when everyone knows how it ends).

No, Sirs apparently enjoys spending his time pretending he knows better than I do what I'm thinking, or what I mean when I say something. He's quick to point out all the imaginary hidden meanings and motives I have for saying what I say, and as much as calling me a liar when I point out to him that he is mistaken. I've never seen him produce a degree in psychiatry, let alone one that would enable him to psychoanalyze someone he has never met in person, so I can only imagine he either has a hugely inflated ego, or just loves to try to degrade others for his own self amusement.

So, I have decided to ignore him. I'm tired of being told what I think, and what I really meant to say, and being called a liar on the sly. Screw it. Enough is enough. And by the way, when he begins to whine that I don't reply to his posts because I can't think of an adequate response, remember, you heard the real reason why here first.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Of Sirs, horses, and the colloquial 'you' - a lesson in plain English
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »
Ahhh, it's nuance.  That's the problem.  We conservatives just don't do nuance.  My being completely unobjective despite the overwhelming examples to the contrary must also apparently be nuance.  Good thing we have H here to bail us out.  Thanks H        8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:28:36 PM »
H, you are simply being childish. How many times in here do we hear the refrain of not taking things personally? Geeesh!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 10:03:24 PM »
   I love Horses.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 04:32:37 AM »
How many times in here do we hear the refrain of not taking things personally? Geeesh!

Well, gee, Prof ol' buddy, how can I ignore it when it seems to happen over and over...and over...and over?

I get damned tired of explaining things every damned way I can, only to be effectively called a liar and told no, this is what you meant, this is what you were thinking, blahblahblah. Kinda hard not to take it personally when some asshole just keeps hammering away with the same old crap all the time.  

It's been going on a long time. I've tried politely pointing out the person's error and correcting him. I've tried the verbal equivalent of smacking him upside the head to get his attention. I'm not a patient person to start with, and I've reached the absolute end of my patience with this scumsucking little cretin. There ain't no more.

So before you start with your 'just being childish' horseshit, why doncha give me an idea what would be a better course of action than ignoring him? Got anything? You figure you can come up with a better solution?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »
How many times in here do we hear the refrain of not taking things personally? Geeesh!

Well, gee, Prof ol' buddy, how can I ignore it when it seems to happen over and over...and over...and over?  I get damned tired of explaining things every damned way I can, only to be effectively called a liar and told no, this is what you meant, this is what you were thinking, blahblahblah. Kinda hard not to take it personally when some asshole just keeps hammering away with the same old crap all the time.   It's been going on a long time. I've tried politely pointing out the person's error and correcting him.

POLITELY??  Who you trying to fool hnumpah??  I would have welcomed some polite interaction.  Instead I get garbage "I never thought you were objective at all to begin with", and you pulling the same crud you're trying to condemn me of.  So trying to play this "poor little hnumpah, sirs is picking on me again" dog & pony thread isn't going to fool anyone outside of knute.

So before you start with your 'just being childish' horseshit, why doncha give me an idea what would be a better course of action than ignoring him? Got anything?

Be polite...be civil...don't throw out garbage of how unobjective I am without being able to demonstrate precisely how, when I can provide countless examples of how its not.  If that's just too damn hard for your ego to manage, well, then no one can help you.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 04:56:35 PM »

Well, gee, Prof ol' buddy, how can I ignore it when it seems to happen over and over...and over...and over?

I get damned tired of explaining things every damned way I can, only to be effectively called a liar and told no, this is what you meant, this is what you were thinking, blahblahblah. Kinda hard not to take it personally when some asshole just keeps hammering away with the same old crap all the time.  

It's been going on a long time. I've tried politely pointing out the person's error and correcting him. I've tried the verbal equivalent of smacking him upside the head to get his attention. I'm not a patient person to start with, and I've reached the absolute end of my patience with this scumsucking little cretin. There ain't no more.

So before you start with your 'just being childish' horseshit, why doncha give me an idea what would be a better course of action than ignoring him? Got anything? You figure you can come up with a better solution?

Ignoreing is acceptable .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 05:08:09 PM »

I do it with knute 99% of the time

The_Professor

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »

Sounds like a Plan.