Author Topic: Talisman  (Read 1602 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Talisman
« on: December 05, 2006, 09:52:17 PM »
 (December 05, 2006 -- 04:11 PM EST // link)

Follow-up from Dennis Prager: I've never even hinted there should be a religious test for federal office, only that a Christian bible should be present whenever anyone takes the oath of office.

More Prager: Ellison can bring the Koran to his sweaing in too, as long as he also brings a Christian bible.

Even More Prager: I'm a victim of a secularist witchhunt.

Still More Prager: I have one of the most pretentious and pompous sounding voices in America.

(ed.note: Okay, I made up the last one. But one, two and three are all in his new column.)

Late Update: As Thinkprogress points out, Prager's one of President Bush's appointees to the Holocaust Memorial Museum board.
-- Josh Marshall

My Comment: So the Bible is sort of a talisman?  Or something that sanctifies proceedings just by being in the same room?? 
 Well, if he wants to make SURE it's holy, I know a preacher here who will give something to you, written in a tiny folded up paper, that you stick up in the ceiling or over the door.  It protects your whole house.
And no, I'm not kidding.   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Talisman
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:03:59 PM »
And here i thought the dems were the oh so tolerant type.

Guess it just doesn't extend to those who believe differently than you.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:28:47 PM »
(December 05, 2006 -- 04:11 PM EST // link)

Well, if he wants to make SURE it's holy, I know a preacher here who will give something to you, written in a tiny folded up paper, that you stick up in the ceiling or over the door.

It protects your whole house.

And no, I'm not kidding.   

http://www.beingjewish.com/mitzvos/mezuzah.html

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:38:51 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 12:31:29 PM »
Well, if he wants to make SURE it's holy, I know a preacher here who will give something to you, written in a tiny folded up paper, that you stick up in the ceiling or over the door.  It protects your whole house.

The Jewish Mezuzah is exactly that.

You can also put a tiny scroll in a box and strap it to your head, and wind more stuff around your arm.

I have no objection to people having a Bible in the room when sworn in. It is silly, perhaps, but it's harmless.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."