Author Topic: 9-11  (Read 2249 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 9-11
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
I knew someone would open the floodgate here to politicize Sept 11th.

Aww, as if Bush and company haven't been doing that all along.

Don't worry, though, he soon changed his mind.

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »
Is it not heartening to be reminded that after seven long years,

Agreed we all need reminding: (wait a minute it's been 7 now!)

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
<<Six years since a major al Qaeda attack.  Let's blame Bush.>>

Wrong.

Right:

4,000 U.S. dead, 30,000 wounded in Iraq and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis too, not that they count for anything really.  Let's blame Bush.

$3 trillion total cost of Iraq invasion, let's blame Bush.

See the difference?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »
See the difference?

I see the difference, you being in a mad dash to change the subject!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:06:01 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
I was listening to the local blowhard radio talkshow and he was going on and on about how Bush should get all the credit for us not having been attacked again since 9.11 and I thought of my old reply to that in here:  "Yeah, and no vampire attacks either!"

But it also occurred to me that people on the right are always blaming Clinton for the first attack and in some cases 9.11 but they hold Bush in no way ever blame Bush for allowing us to be hit on 9.11 in the first place.

What's up with that?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 07:47:36 PM »
I was listening to the local blowhard radio talkshow and he was going on and on about how Bush should get all the credit for us not having been attacked again since 9.11 and I thought of my old reply to that in here:  "Yeah, and no vampire attacks either!"

But it also occurred to me that people on the right are always blaming Clinton for the first attack and in some cases 9.11 but they hold Bush in no way ever blame Bush for allowing us to be hit on 9.11 in the first place.

What's up with that?

That, my friend,  is the sound of one hand clapping. Listen to the wind blow.

Cynthia

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 11:17:23 PM »

What's up with that?

Brass, the fault of the attacks on 9-11 was of course those who planned it and executed it so bloody well.

On the other hand, the fault is everyone's .....neighbor to neighbor, working partner to working partner. . . rich to poor....intelligent to average.....it was the fault of so many.

One could say it was fate.

One could say it was the fault of those who didn't seem to 'notice' that particular people were learning how to fly planes....

racism..true and ugly

Sure the blame goes around to all, in so many ways.... like the aftermath of the wrath of a windstorm. Why weren't we ready with an underground shelter? Why didn't mother nature give us a head's up? Why did the farmer not pay attention to the sky that night?

Blame will never solve a problem.

So many problems are solved through intuition. What was it that made those pilots not take notice of the sudden desire of middle eastern fellas suddenly taking an interest in flying a plane. Some of the pilots had that gut feeling..if not evidence of something "not quite right".

Clinton heard the guns ,  the bombs,   but no action was taken.

Bush took action to the point of OVERKILL...road kill and the rest is gutLESS history. .

Who has any answer to head off  any sort of deadly storm? Do you? Did Clinton? Did those pilots?

I am not a historian, but I have to ask those who understand the track record-past.

Why is it that we have to suffer the pain of war, of terror or the accident of abortion/rape/adultry.....etc...why is it that it takes a horrific act to wake up to the opportunity for change?

Then again, history, track records DO TELL A LOT.

There are certain people in the world who hate us. Al Queda, Taliban and others..all on the historic back burner....but could there be surprises on teh horizon? Sure.

Ok...I am making a point...

I believe with my own gut and heart, that we must love one another more. I believe we must teach love and honor, trust, and caring.

Children must not be taught to hate or fear. The youth of our planet deserve to be given all that we as adults understand to be quality. The family who loves. The children who are raised with love will move mountains.

The bottom line in all of the world's problems will come down to hate/vs love.

As a Christian, I believe that there is more of a positive outcome than a negative outcome.

The good neighbor policy and the risk to stop hating one another will at least make the world a bit safer in the end.

But, of course my solution is too simple. Hate and ruin, revenge and bitterness, competitiveness and winning (take over) are the spiritual guru of this world.

Those men who believed in killing....planned to kill....are to blame--of course. But who raised them? Who is raising the human beings of this hateful world...That's my take on this craziness.

Cynthia

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »
To think that I was in Washington DC that summer of 2001, enjoying the hot humid summer of the east coast ( yes enjoying the new world of taking the metro for the first time in my LIFE...scary but adventurous thus fun" heat from humidity was no fun, but I was so happy to be visiting my beloved sister) in the national state of the states ...the city of flowers and butterflies. Yes, butterflies. IT was the summer of the latest news....that of the missing woman, Chandra Levy. My sister and her fiance lived in a condo in that rock creek park, and being a sleuth from the ever popular courttv board, I would often wonder where she was...was she in there somewhere?  Turns out she was, sadly.

That summer...the first summer I finally go to witness memorials and statures of worth....Walking among the Mall for the first time, photographs of the "wall", the memorials, the statue of Albert Einstein and moi.

Those were past days gone. . . Now there are benches marking all the beings killed in that Pentagon. I haven't been back since, sadly. I was in NYC one year later...to the date for my sister's wedding in New York...but I want to visit the capital of our nation and pay tribute to those who died.

Funny, strange funny..but I remember what I was doing the night of Sept 10th that year. I had just started reading a mystery novel....chatting with friends from Court Tv message board. . . and sadly ending a love affair, albeit one that was probably meant to be.

Our lives changed...but like the death of JFK....I remember so much of that two day event. The before and the fateful after. :(

note:

My sister is about to have her second baby boy on Sunday.

There are so many beautiful elements in life...we must focus on those.

Perhaps Obama/McCain will do some good if elected.

There is hope for the future. We make that hope reality.

My students are holding a mock election in the classroom. A lot of learning is going on, and for that I make my own mark.

I have been in and out, mostly out...not reading most posts that are negative...I can't deal with the negative....but I'll be back when I can.

Pooch...I admire you the most on this board.

Mario...you are my goood, goood pal.

BT....as much as I think you are a stinker, you are the reason for this board.

I will always admire you guys the most.

Lanya girl...from one New Mexican to another, hang in there girlfriend.

Until Nov.'s election...I ride the wave of BS that is the politics of the race.

I want the government to work for the many...and both sides of the fence offer change. Hmmm, what a great country.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:32:28 AM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 01:31:08 AM »
Remembering Not to Forget 9/11

September 11, 2008 - by Michele Catalano

We were walking through a mall last month and were greeted by a large mural dedicated to the victims of 9/11, part of which read: ?Never forget.?

Never forget? That phrase always made me cringe. Who could forget such a thing? Who could forget the pain, the loss, the rage, the [1] image of smoke, fire, and buildings collapsing while people ran for safety? Who could forget such a powerful, [2] staggering loss?

Not me.

It was a perfect day. Blue skies, fluffy clouds, September warmth.  I sat at my desk, the day?s work put aside briefly for my morning blog entry, something mundane about not getting the timestamps right on the blog. Normal, ordinary day.  I still lived in a state of mind where I felt the world was a mostly decent place, that people were mostly good, that life would hold no big surprises that I couldn?t handle. And then it happened.

The perfection, the absolute banality of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, was shattered. After a few minutes of struggling to connect to CNN.com and listening to people run into my office with reports (the White House was on fire, there were ten hijacked planes in the air ? a real myriad of false, alarming information), I called a family member who was still sleeping. ?Wake up, the world is ending.?

The next days, months, years were a succession of anger, tears, and anxiety. I grieved with my father over the loss of his [3] friends and colleagues. I attended a [4] memorial service for a bomb squad detective that included snipers standing sentry on the roof of my childhood church.

Our lives were consumed by this one event. Every day was another new alert, another funeral, another service.  Every conversation began with a deep sigh. Every plane in the sky was greeted with apprehension, yet every moment of nothing flying above us was filled with anxiety. We hugged. We held hands. We had a shared community of both despair and hope.  Schools were on guard. Malls were on alert. War was coming. Who knew what else was coming with it? We sought revenge. We sought justice. We sought to relieve ourselves and the country of a rage and sadness that had swept over us.

As the time went by, we lived, we went to school, and we went to work. We got married and had babies. Wars were started; lines were drawn. We made divisions amongst ourselves, loosening the bonds we had formed over our grief.

Life has a way of making you forget every once in a while. Anniversaries make you remember. [5] The first anniversary was an open wound. The second, a gripping pain. The third, a dull throb. The fourth anniversary was a fading photograph in our wallet. By the time the fifth and sixth came around, 9/11 and the Twin Towers were a phantom limb. Conversations were no longer filled with what-ifs and what?s next. We turned our radios up louder. We danced. We sang.

We forgot.  It doesn?t seem possible, but we forgot. I forgot.

I didn?t forget in the strictest meaning of the word, but I forgot some things. I forgot the anger. I forgot the anxiety and the worry.  It?s all still there; it?s just not out on my sleeve where I can see it and know it and live it all the time. But it?s there. It?s in every perfect day, when the skies are blue and the clouds are perfect and the warmth is soft and comforting in an autumn kind of way.  Some things were okay to forget or let go of. I swore after 9/11 that I would never set foot in another airplane.

I am writing this on a flight from New York to California.

Is it a good thing to forget pain? Is it something we need to keep in our hearts as a reminder, something to keep us awake, alert, and ever vigilant?

No, I don?t want to remember that.

I want to remember the way the skyline looked before, [6] with the Twin Towers intact. I want to remember a time when most people didn?t know who bin Laden was. I want to know that time when the country wasn?t a place of divide, when terrorism and war didn?t separate us into with us/against us.

But I forgot so much. Seven years have come and gone. In those years we moved on, we lived, we put 9/11 aside with all our other memories that we like to keep at bay. Time is the best medication of all. It dulls the pain, eases the hurt, and assuages the guilt. It makes me forget it could happen again. Time brings complacency.

In that small space between three hijacked planes and color-coded terror alerts, between a small field in Pennsylvania and conspiracy theories, there was a brief, lit-up moment when we felt like one. I remember thinking that this tragedy would fix us instead of break us.  I want so much to feel again that hope and unity that existed in the days after the attack.  There was proof, ever so briefly, that we could come together as a nation to help and comfort each other, when we were all just human beings on common ground instead of left or right, Democrat or Republican.

Never forget, indeed. Never forget that out of the rubble of tragedy arose a moment when we put everything aside to be one whole nation. It is so easy at a time like now to forget that, to draw lines in the sand and become us and them. In so many ways, 9/11 ended up furthering any divisions we had instead of closing them. We chose up sides and backed away from each other as if we were our own enemies ? as if the enemies we had, those who steered planes into buildings, weren?t enough.

We don?t want to constantly remember the towers falling, the hole in the Pentagon, or the remains of a plane in a field. We don?t want to constantly think about the deaths, the sorrow, or the anger. But we do need to remember. We need to remember the hope that most of us felt that we would work together to get through this. We need to remember that brief feeling of togetherness. We need to remember how the lines between us disappeared and how we worked with each other to comfort those who needed it. We need to remember that it is possible to work as one to help our nation heal.

Seven years later, that?s what I want to remember.

Never forget.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/remembering-not-to-forget-911/?print=1

Cynthia

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:40 AM »
Never forget. So true.

I guess I can see why Bush wanted to invade the middle east....ironically, having been married to an Iranian/Persian in the time of the revolution....I do know how much hate there is for the west in the eastern spirit.

My god, lest we be so naive and caught from behind again.

Let us not forget.

The very evil that lives in the heart of those who hate is real.

BT. I am not here to promote hate/bias/or prejudice..but we must not ever mistake those who want to destroy from those who want to connect.

I remember how the Persian community held contempt for the very America that was giving them a new start. . and that was back in the early seventies. ..until the late 70's. BUT, in some ways Americans fight like blind men in the dark just because.....we want to fight back for the sake of the fight.

I maintain that we should have fought the fight with intelligence. Clinton took away our military might...that is fact.

So, I am never going to understand the world of war and peace.

peace and war..........we must never be blindsided again....I know =XAVIER will disagree with me there, but we need a military...damn...we need those men adn women

That's why I honor any man or woman who has fought for the nation in which s/he takes a stand.

A part of me want the war in Iraq to succeed...especially in memory of tonight's memory of such sorrow.

Cindy
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:46:21 AM by Cindy »