Author Topic: Thanks Obama!  (Read 2594 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thanks Obama!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 03:27:26 AM »
So what?  I was joking too, I know it, you don't know it.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 03:36:48 AM »
ah ...you think i care

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »
Watch it with the tastless jokes .

You never know who is gonna take it too much to heart.Remember that any one of us can ban the whole bunch.

Pigs are being shot as pests even when the carcass is impossible to eat.

Recall the "Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy" the advanced civilisation that had arisin by the end of the universe had bred a creature for food which could be served with no moral qualm. It had a superior intelligence and was intellectually resigned to its fate volenteering to slaughter.

There is real reason to object to the direction that pig raising is heading right now, close confined for their entire lives and pumped with hormones and antibiotics they are more and more becoming pitiful creatures that are unsafe to eat. The epidimic flu that might kill us all could be engendered in a place like that.

It will not be long before cloning tecnology brings us meat that was never part of a whole creature, I wonder why we will object to that?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 11:25:22 AM »
<< It will not be long before cloning tecnology brings us meat that was never part of a whole creature, I wonder why we will object to that?>>

Must be 20 years since I first heard of the concept.  The first efforts won't taste as good etc. but in principle nobody could object.  My understanding was you take cells from the muscles of the various parts of the animal corresponding to the individual cuts of meat and then grow them in vitro to form colonies much like the muscles that the butcher cuts out.  There were also problems of getting the right amount of fat cells in amongst the meat, etc. - - nothing that in theory couldn't be scientifically resolved.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
<< It will not be long before cloning tecnology brings us meat that was never part of a whole creature, I wonder why we will object to that?>>

Must be 20 years since I first heard of the concept.  The first efforts won't taste as good etc. but in principle nobody could object.  My understanding was you take cells from the muscles of the various parts of the animal corresponding to the individual cuts of meat and then grow them in vitro to form colonies much like the muscles that the butcher cuts out.  There were also problems of getting the right amount of fat cells in amongst the meat, etc. - - nothing that in theory couldn't be scientifically resolved.

I would imagine that orthodox Jews would not call it kosher.
   A limb torn from a living creature is not Kosher.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »
I hadn't thought of that.

It might not be kosher. But since there is no cruelty involved in removing a cell and cloning it, it might have to be decided in some special judgement.

Orthodox Jews are not a large share of the market in most of the world. They may not even outnumber Zoroastrians (Parsis).
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »
I hadn't thought of that.

It might not be kosher. But since there is no cruelty involved in removing a cell and cloning it, it might have to be decided in some special judgement.

Orthodox Jews are not a large share of the market in most of the world. They may not even outnumber Zoroastrians (Parsis).

I don't think they will ever be plentyfull, but they are influential in the feild of standards setting.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »
In the US, this is true, It=n Europe, less so, in China and India and Japan, not true at all.

Growing meat in labs also takes up less space and makes the waste problem far easier to solve. Also the bovine, porcine and ovine farting problem is eliminated. If such gases are generayed, they can be used to heat or cool the facility.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."