Author Topic: Republicans and evangelicals  (Read 37309 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Republicans and evangelicals
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2006, 04:20:16 PM »
 So what options are you leaving for individuals attracted to their own gender?

actually there is a now gay/lesbian couple now who just got a kid.

a radio guy may get fired for it

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/17/EDG6PKDVMM1.DTL

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2006, 04:24:17 PM »
That's a very good point kimba. But the issue of "choice" is really an issue of timing. That's why it is irrelevant.

Some people here are saying that an individual may not have a choice in being attracted to someone of the same gender, but they have a choice in whether or not to have a relationship with someone from their gender.

So, where you are free to pursue a relationship with a woman (encouraged to do so, in fact, so long as neither of you are married), the homosexual individual is discouraged from pursuing his or her relationship and I'm not sure what his or her alternatives are. That's what I'm asking, but answers aren't exactly forthcoming.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2006, 04:25:34 PM »
A) The notion of "choice" is absolutely relevent to this discussion
B) What would those of you who do criticize Adultery suggest to those people with an attaction to someone already married, do with their life?

You could try answering the questions without the question in response. I don't see that choice plays any role. Clearly a choice exists. Yet, I think you'll agree that not many of us have the ability to live a chaste life. So what options are you leaving for individuals attracted to their own gender?

I did.  But if you need more detail, answering my question, answers your question.  Choice plays an absolute role in this, as that is the whole foundation to this side's POV.  Take "choice" away and whala, I have no leg to stand on, right?  God gave us free will and the ability to choose.  We can choose to embrace those emotions and attractions that overwhelm us, or we can chose not to.  The choice is to either continue in sinful direction or not.  If one chooses to continue to be attracted to those who they ought not, then so be it.  However It will continue to be seen as sinful & wrong, just as Adultery is.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:34 PM »
We can choose to embrace those emotions and attractions that overwhelm us, or we can chose not to.  The choice is to either continue in sinful direction or not.  If one chooses to continue to be attracted to those who they ought not, then so be it.

So it is a case of one being attracted to someone they "ought not?" What would your advice to be to someone who is attracted to his or her own sex and has always been? Is that something you can change?

Also, are there heterosexual attractions that "ought not" be? My Father-in-law for example, doesn't like it when black men and white women are couples. What about mixed religious couples? What abour a Catholic / Protestant couple? Should a Muslim and Christian be married? A Christian and a Jew? I'm asking sincerely. Perhaps there are many such rules beyond just homosexuality and heterosexuality.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2006, 04:47:26 PM »
So it is a case of one being attracted to someone they "ought not?" What would your advice to be to someone who is attracted to his or her own sex and has always been? Is that something you can change?

My "advice" would be identical to those someone's are are attracted to married spouses, and "yes", being it remains a "choice"

are there heterosexual attractions that "ought not" be? My Father-in-law for example, doesn't like it when black men and white women are couples. What about mixed religious couples?

I haven't seen anything in the Bible that makes it a sin to be attracted and marry others of a difference race.  I'd say that position borders on racial intolerance, if not bigotry.  Nor have I seen anything that declares it a sin to marry one from a different religion.  So no problems there either
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
My "advice" would be identical to those someone's are are attracted to married spouses, and "yes", being it remains a "choice"

That's not what I asked. What would your advice be if one of your close relatives told you they were a lesbian or homosexual? How would you advise them to change, so that they would be attracted to the opposite sex? Do you have experience with this problem?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »
That's not what I asked. What would your advice be if one of your close relatives told you they were a lesbian or homosexual? How would you advise them to change, so that they would be attracted to the opposite sex? Do you have experience with this problem?

Asked and answered.  The same way of they came to me and told me they were an adulterer.  I'd pray for them if they wished it.  I'd support their efforts to find organizations to help them deal with these urges.  And what do you mean by having "experience with this problem"?  I think you're trying to make a mountain of a very logical molehill.  I see Homosexuality the same way I see Adultery.  Both are sins in the eyes of God, both are not to be "respected" in any way.  One can be tolerant without having to show respect for one's choices

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2006, 06:14:23 PM »
but what about respecting in other aspect
ex. in the military they have despite all the oppostion very good service records.
in business have tendency excel
they are one of thee most financially thriving groups in my city.
they`re no slouch in politics also.
you do not respect them in lifestyles,but would you give credit in other aspects?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2006, 09:23:04 PM »
but what about respecting in other aspect
.....you do not respect them in lifestyles,but would you give credit in other aspects?

Well, if you're trying to say that, for instance an Adulterer is great at his job of let's say, law enforcement, then yea, I suppose you could respect the job he took, but would not respect his lifestyle choice.  But IMHO, that's seperating the personal from the professional, so IMHO, that's apples and oranges.  Former mayor Guliani is a perfect example.  He had an affair while he was married, but no one's going to doubt the leadership he provided NY (& the country) following 911.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2006, 09:43:49 PM »
alot of folks can`t seperate the two.
ex. denying gays work seems not a problem due to the fact they are not a minority.
despite nobody mentioning denying a job because they`re gay has no baring to the job at all.
this happen on n the federal level.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2006, 10:05:03 PM »
   Are there no sexual taboos that would be good to keep?

Incest still seems popular to forbid , I can think of a handfull or other sexual taboos that are still popular taboos.

Why are we keeping any of them?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2006, 10:49:57 PM »
alot of folks can`t seperate the two.

Now, that'd be a problem with those folks now, wouldn't it

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2006, 01:28:02 PM »
So, in your view Sirs, at its most basic: a homosexual who has a natural attraction for a member of his or her own gender should remain celibate for life?

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2006, 01:57:39 PM »
So, in your view Sirs, at its most basic: a homosexual who has a natural attraction for a member of his or her own gender should remain celibate for life?

Let me swap interchangible terms in my book, and then answer it; So, in your view Sirs, at its most basic: an adulterer who has a natural attraction for someone's spouse should avoid such for life?

My answer would be yes

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2006, 02:00:27 PM »
Stop swapping terms and answer the question as it is put.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster