Author Topic: Worse than Carnivore  (Read 1237 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Worse than Carnivore
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »

FBI "Vacuum Cleaner" Sucks Up Americans' Internet Records
By Justin Rood - January 30, 2007, 2:15 PM

Cnet News reports:

The FBI appears to have adopted an invasive Internet surveillance technique that collects far more data on innocent Americans than previously has been disclosed.

Instead of recording only what a particular suspect is doing, agents conducting investigations appear to be assembling the activities of thousands of Internet users at a time into massive databases, according to current and former officials. That database can subsequently be queried for names, e-mail addresses or keywords. . . .

"What they're doing is even worse than Carnivore," said Kevin Bankston, a staff attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. . . "What they're doing is intercepting everyone and then choosing their targets."

. . . [Bankston said] the FBI is "collecting and apparently storing indefinitely the communications of thousands--if not hundreds of thousands--of innocent Americans in violation of the Wiretap Act and the 4th Amendment to the Constitution."

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002438.php
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Worse than Carnivore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:24:49 PM »
Anything sent unencrypted on the Internet is like sending stuff on the back of a postcard. It's also not illegal for the government to read your postcards.

If you want something to remain private, and you're gonna send it out on the Internet, encrypt it.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »
Anything sent unencrypted on the Internet is like sending stuff on the back of a postcard. It's also not illegal for the government to read your postcards.  If you want something to remain private, and you're gonna send it out on the Internet, encrypt it.

But....but.....but ami, Bush is evil.  Doncha get it yet?

8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:53:07 PM »
All this discussion has reminded me I haven't updated my GPG keypair in a few years. Doing that now. ;-)
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 11:38:26 PM »
All this discussion has reminded me I haven't updated my GPG keypair in a few years. Doing that now. ;-)

LOL
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle