Author Topic: Cops Wound 9  (Read 5011 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cops Wound 9
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »
Your "facts" are bogus.

I reject them

Hey!

I can't make you accept anything.

So go get some better facts, tho I want to warn you , this subject has covered the internet with chaff.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 12:44:58 AM »
I see no chance that any sane gun control legislation would make much difference in this country, because there are far too many guns in circulation for banning ownership to be effective. This country, particularly the South, is a violent place. I see no chance that I will ever be given a chance to vote against gun ownership, or that it will ever be a major issue in any political race I will ever vote in.

The damage has been done, and is not likely to be undone. Taking guns away from gun nuts would probably result in more gun deaths than doing nothing/=.

That does not change the fact that sirs is full of crap. Guns are not a good thing. Gun ownership MIGHT prevent gun deaths in some situations, but only if huge numbers of citizens are know to everyone to be walking around with loaded guns. Of course, this would only work if none of them were likely to go ape and shoot others as a result of road rage or cutting in line or something else trivial.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 01:57:56 AM »
At most, the FBI only quotes statistics.

It quotes FACTS as determined by its stats

It does not state that more guns is the cause.

It DOES state that more lives are saved by the use or mere brandishing of a gun, than those taken by a gun.....in this country.  THAT'S A FACT, nor is it my fact, its simply a fact, determined by FBI stats.  Ignore it to your heart's contect

The FBI does not have statistics on the number for civilians walking around with loaded guns,. People do not indicate whether they are carrying a gun or whether it is loaded when they leave home to the FBI.

That's not the stats being referenced now is it.  Pretty remedial deflection effort though
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BSB/Hero/Genius/MovieStar

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »
When I was about 9 a friend and I were in a farmers blueberry patch picking and eating berries.  The farmer stepped out onto his porch with a shotgun and fired a couple of rounds in our direction. Harmless really, but effective. We left his patch alone the rest of the. summer.

Using a gun to protect life and property was, I would suggest, a lot more prevalent then than it is now. No way in hell that farmer would get away with that today. Drawing any conclusions about the number of people in this country carrying and the murder rate is fraught with pitfalls. You can't do it. Only uninteresting, poor thinking, irrelevants, like Sirs, would try it.   

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »
When I was a kid, in my suburban Missouri town, Halloween Night was noted for pranks and minor vandalism. Rolling trash cans down the hill, TP on houses and minor stuff like that.

The tradition was to line up all the school buses on High School Hill and Mr Miller, the head janitor, who lived in a caretaker's house with his family, would guard them with a shotgun said to be filled with rock salt. No one messed with the school buses, so far as I know. No one ever actually saw Miller out there with the buses, either. His family consisted of his wife and his four daughters, all of whom were immensely overweight, three of them spent their lives in wheelchairs.

The women made sticky cinnamon rolls and sold them for a dime. They were huge and really tasty and outsold all the candy machines. I imagine that one of them had around 800 calories at least. The official story was that the obesity problem was caused by a thyroid problem, but I have a feeling that the cinnamon rolls had a lot to do with it as well.

I don't think that vandalism would have ever gone further than flattened tires and soap on the windows: certainly no gun violence.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »
I see no chance that any sane gun control legislation would make much difference in this country, because there are far too many guns in circulation for banning ownership to be effective. This country, particularly the South, is a violent place. I see no chance that I will ever be given a chance to vote against gun ownership, or that it will ever be a major issue in any political race I will ever vote in.

The damage has been done, and is not likely to be undone. Taking guns away from gun nuts would probably result in more gun deaths than doing nothing/=.

That does not change the fact that sirs is full of crap. Guns are not a good thing. Gun ownership MIGHT prevent gun deaths in some situations, but only if huge numbers of citizens are know to everyone to be walking around with loaded guns. Of course, this would only work if none of them were likely to go ape and shoot others as a result of road rage or cutting in line or something else trivial.

Nice to see the wisdom of the common man getting some respect.

Gun ownership MIGHT prevent gun deaths in some situations, but only if huge numbers of citizens are know to everyone to be walking around with loaded guns.
...... because there are far too many guns in circulation for banning ownership to be effective.

Wait.

Too many to restrict well, but not enough yet to produce a good effect ?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 12:47:16 AM »
Using a gun to protect life and property was, I would suggest, a lot more prevalent then than it is now. No way in hell that farmer would get away with that today. Drawing any conclusions about the number of people in this country carrying and the murder rate is fraught with pitfalls. You can't do it. Only uninteresting, poor thinking, irrelevants, like Sirs, would try it.   

BSB

Because of course, crime, is especially much less today    ::)   Ignorance doesn't fit you well, B, but if you wish to embrace it, as your fine friend Xo has, all the power to you.   Funny though, how you have yet to rationalize the riddle posed.

Sirs
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »
But the thing that is kinda cool here, is that both our anti self defense folk can't refute the facts.  What they're left with is to either deflect that the FBI is merely providing stats, (which again demonstrate the fact that more lives are saved by either the use or mere brandishing of a gun, in this country, than those lives taken by a gun), or you have to try to step outside of the box and claim that you can't draw any conclusions with these facts.....because.......you just can't.......because........ you may draw the wrong conclusions........and guns are evil, no one should have them except for who BsB says should.

Ahh, how life would be so much easier in a dictatorship, wouldn't it B

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 04:58:47 AM »
Going to have to throw a little cold water on the anti self defense contingent.  Putting aside for the moment the continued FACTS that more lives are saved by the use/brandishing of a gun, than those taken, in this country, just because local law enforcment may be shoddy shots, doesn't negate that it was a GUN that stopped this person from doing any more killing.  The idea is to have someone trained to use a firearm, be it law enforcement to reach such a potential mass killing ASAP, or a trained CCW holder, who might be so unlucky to be at the location.  In either case, its highly unlikely foul language is going to stop someone who has already killed with his weapon, so not sure what the point of the article is........disarm the police??

And riddle me this......How can this supposed right wing extremist, homophobic racist, NOT ONLY have gay friends, black friends, and liberal friends, but have had the right to carry a concealed weapon, currently a Sig P228, for over 10 years, in California even, and NEVER ONCE had to pull it, much less use it?? I can't possibly be the exception to the rule, as it relates to supposed gunnuts now, can I

Didn't think so

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
The fact that you have never had to use it proves that there is a very minimal threat to be defended against.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »
Also goes to prove that this supposed gun nut is nothing of the sort.  Not just use it, but ever even brandish it.  Yet I still carry it.  Sorry to throw coldwater and yet another asanine erroneous claim

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 11:14:44 PM »
The fact that you have never had to use it proves that there is a very minimal threat to be defended against.

Really?

Does the same thing prove that Guns are little threat to take action against or further regulate?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:45 AM »
Kimba asked a question earlier which has some relevance to the issue. How has the increased demand for ammunition affected price and availability in your neck of the woods? Is there a trend towards reloading?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 03:31:20 AM »
Don't directly know.

I like to shoot , but havent had time to very much lately, been a while since I purchased Ammo.

Window shopping at a Pawn shop recently , prices seem up , but not excessive.

Pricees at upper end seem unaffected , the cheaper guns seem to have been the ones that gained value the most.

Everything elese I only know second hand.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
The guns that need to be regulated are those that will be used in crime, murders, accidental deaths and , of course, mass murders. Of course, if someone jumps into sirs' car, grabs his trusty Roscoe and plugs him with it, that one should have also been regulated as well, for sirs' sake.

I doubt if he will thank me for reminding him that any gun is impartial as to whom or what it shoots.