Author Topic: JEFFERSON CITY, Mo  (Read 6867 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Missouri lawmakers expanded the potential for teachers to bring guns to schools and for residents to openly carry firearms, in a vote Thursday that capped a two-year effort by the Republican-led Legislature to expand gun rights over the objection of the Democratic governor.

The new law will allow specially trained school employees to carry concealed guns on campuses. It also allows anyone with a concealed weapons permit to carry guns openly, even in cities or towns with bans against the open carrying of firearms. The age to obtain a concealed weapons permit also will drop from 21 to 19.

A more far-reaching measure that sought to nullify federal gun control laws had died in the final hours of the legislative session in May. Gov. Jay Nixon had vetoed a similar bill last year that could have subjected federal officers to state criminal charges and lawsuits for attempting to enforce federal gun control laws.

The new regulations, which this time garnered the two-thirds majority needed to override Nixon's veto, take effect in about a month.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: JEFFERSON CITY, Mo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:56:01 AM »
Moronic.

Missouri has a legislature as bad as the one in Tallahassee.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
Finally....some common sense entering a legislative body
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
There is no common sense to lowering the age to 19.
Schools are places of education, not shooting galleries.

The threat posed by this stupid law is worse than any possible good that could come from it.

The police are armed everywhere. Protecting schools is a job for the police.

More guns are sols and the NRA profits by it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:38:32 PM »
I can't count how many flaws are in this "analysis".  1st and foremost the ongoing tweaked notion that the gun somehow injects the gun owner in thinking they're in the old west, ready to draw and shoot anyone that doesn't spit straight.  Doesn't seem to matter that the facts demonstrate the polar opposite.  Doesn't matter that the facts demonstrate that nearly all the mass casualty killings occur in "gun free zones", which schools are designated as. 

What "threat" exactly is there with this law??  That more legal gun owners will be in a position to better stop any subsequent murderer who has no intention of abiding by any law already in place.  The only "threat" there is to the would be murderer, since the Police are still 5+ minutes away when the fist shot by the bad guy goes off.  How many lives are you ready to sacrifice, in those 5 minutes, in order to make you feel better that less of the law abiding folks can defend themselves??  10?  20?  40?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
   This strikes my intuition as a good idea.

More guns in responsible hands limits the potential damage that a crazy or malicious shooter can do.

This law does nothing to reduce the number of guns in irresponsible hands, but of course neither do laws that declare gun free zones.

Could you describe the mechanism and how it works to produce safety when a legislature creates a gun free zone?

I am assuming that a villain will bring the best weapon for his purpose totally regardless of the law.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:44 PM »
There are police on the grounds of every large high school in Florida. There is no need to arm teachers. Perhaps this will not cause mayhem, but I do not see it making anyone safer. I see it as the Legislature sucking up to the gun lobby, the NRA and the gun nuts.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:04:15 AM »
FACT is that they are NOT on every grounds, on every school.  And since schools are designated "we're defenseless zones", there IS a need to arm someone, be it teachers, or security, or former/retired law enforcement.  It makes the students safer since the fastest the police might be able to respond is AFTER a dozen students have already been slain.  You might be ok with that, not me

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 07:50:31 AM »
No one has been slain in Missouri.
This was just done to suck up to gun nuts.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
FACT is that children have been slain across the country, in these so called "gun free zones".  Missouri is simply being proactive, and is only sucking up to common sense.  It makes the students safer since the fastest the police might be able to respond is AFTER a dozen students have already been slain.  You might be ok with that, not me

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:14:19 PM »
Not sure it works like that. The majority of school violence is considered not notable only when unaccepatable school violence occur (ex. Columbine ) is when we started to act and that year was a record low in violence. So possibly the issue of guns in school may have zero effect except make us think it work because only the school we care about are not effected .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
I'm not following Kimba.  Can you expand on this thought, so I might better understand what you're trying to say?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:39:45 PM »
The thought started when i saw the news on the third school shooting after columbine and a very angry student said these incidents should only happen in the inner city where it belongs. So after all these years if hearing these incidents i kinda notice certain data that the overwhelming number of school incidents are the poor school with gang incidents and those shooting get no shock from the public. Meaning the solution being proposed here will probly not help those shootings and the school that do get armed teachers will get credit for being less likely having problem to start with. In fact just recall decades ago a crazy guy went to shoot up a bunch vietnamese children and it didnt make much of a news so i'll say this matter will only address certain schools and not the safety of all schools involve in that city.

Just thought of another problem are ethnic  parents willing to send thier kids to a school allowed to shoot students. After the first shot this thought will happen.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
   It should be very strictly against the rules for students and teachers to shoot each other.

That being said , it does still happen, perhaps there is a way to effect the rate.

Would you lay odds that the next mass shooting occurs in a gun free zone?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »
[quote ]

.............vetoed a similar bill last year that could have subjected federal officers to state criminal charges and lawsuits for attempting to enforce federal gun control laws.....

[/quote]

This really struck me as interesting, arresting an FBI agent would be a  radical act.