Author Topic: Movie  (Read 8820 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Movie
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:02 PM »
When I say that snipers shoot people iun the back, that is not just an insult to American snipers.

It IS, in the context of how you're using it...that its simply something they do.  As I said, they'll only shoot bad guys in the back if they're an imminent threat to American lives

It is a description of ALL snipers, because it is not an act of bravery for any of them.

Bravery is irrelevent to where snipers shoot people.  That'd be related to accuracy.  So you can ddisense trying lump bravery with shooting people in the back.  No one is claiming that as a popint of bravery. In war, it isn't about "fighting fair".  It's about killing as many bad guys as possible, while saving as many of your guys in the process

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »
You can believe that they will only shoot bad people in the back only to prevent them from doing harm to citizens,  but I do not think that this is always the case.

Shooting people in the back is shooting people in the back.  It is essentially murder. War is organized murder. That is the definition of war. That is why wars should be avoided.  We can learn from Switzerland and Sweden.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »
Most of the time, snipers are hidden from danger.

This is sort of the opposite of a fact.

Snipers hide in the midst of danger, being sneaky , they go the furthest forward.

There is a lot of advantage in high altitude bombing, a lot of capability in remotely controlled drones, but....

... if you want the most bang for the buck and the least mistakes and collateral damage , snipers are the best.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 10:39:48 PM »
Snipers are only in real danger if the other side has snipers.

This has not been the case very often in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The main damage done to American snipers is that they return as very sick puppies or murderous loons.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »
Which is where the Bravery component comes in.  People can BMW all they want.  This country wouldn't have come to exist, if not for war.  We might all be subjugated under Fascist rule, if not for war.  Sometimes war is asked upon us, and thank God for the Bravery of such men like Chris Kyle. ..an absolute American hero
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:14:08 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 10:44:37 PM »
This country would never have gotten to where it was without slavery, either. But that is no reason to return to slavery.  WWII was necessary. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and those petty stupid Reagan and Olebush Wars were the result of bad diplomacy and machinations of the CIA that should never have happened.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 12:34:37 AM »
This country would never have gotten to where it was without slavery, either.

Actually, yea, it would have.  That's just part of our country's history....a darker side.  The Civil War was largely "about" slavery, but this country would have come to be with or without slavery

And we can debate all the rationalizations as to why this war and not that one.....which is also largely irrelevant to the point being made about snipers.  I recommend starting a new thread if you wish to opine on that tangent

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 01:08:58 AM »
Im still gonna see it since clint made it. But on the subject of snipers. I just chaulk it up all the other requirements of war.  We should not sugar coat it but acknowledge something need to be done.

I do have issues when veterans of previous wars critiques this one and say they would never of done it. Heroes can never be excused from acting like douches.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »
American snipers is that they return as very sick puppies or murderous loons.

Can you source your statement that snipers are often in high percentage of being murderous when they return from war?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 08:09:31 AM »
I work with ex-military and police and i gotta tell you  some will give an impression thiers a jerk requirement is these fields. I previously stated last year i had a guard  go insane in the museum and had to be banned from returning to work. That guy was a jerk and very similiar to the guys i worked with when i did security in shipyards.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
THere was Richard Whitman, who killed a bunch of people, there was Lee Harvey Oswald, there was the guy who shot the guy whose story American Sniper was based on. There is the whole cultural phenomena about ex soldiers who "go postal". When ex-snipers have mental issues, it generally does them more harm than anyone else. Of course, the military downplays snipers who have gone ape.  Timothy McVeigh was also an ex-soldier who did a huge amount of damage, as was the guy the jailed for being his accomplice. I note that his military record was NOT featured in stories about him.

Countries that train people to kill have a larger number of trained killers who come home and kill people,  Whether or not this is a fair trade off is a value judgement.

I did not say that there was a high percentage of snipers who became homicidal maniacs, but it does happen.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
Where does it classify Whitman as a "sniper"?  Oswald was not a "sniper".  He was designated a "marksman" in the military, which is neither the same accuracy as a sniper, nor functions as a sniper.  The man who shot Kyle, Eddie Ray Routh, wasn't a sniper at all, just simply an ex marine suffering from PTSD

You throw accusations every which way, without 1 neuron of thought behind them, outside of some preconceived mindset of what must have been the case.  There are thousands upon thousands of snipers, in U.S., history and the best you can do to support the accusation that a "high percentage" return as murderous loons, are 3 examples that doesn't include even 1 designated sniper??  I think the "sick puppy" is the one making up all this crap

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
Oh, bullshit
 Anyone trained to be an accurate shot is a sniper in my book.

The result is the same if they go postal. And by the way, where does this come from, "go postal"?  It comes from the fact that Congress required the Post Office to give preferential treatment in hiring to ex-military.

So blow it out your hole, pipsqueak.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
Oh, bullshit
 Anyone trained to be an accurate shot is a sniper in my book.

In your warped lunatic leftist book perhaps.  But in reality, only someone trained as classified as a sniper is called a sniper.  Not a marksman, not a discharged former military fella, but someone actually trained and functioning as a sniper gets that honor

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »
A sniper is a type of marksman but not all marksman are snipers. Marksman is part of a group. But snipers tend one or two man system. Lets just say most marksman dont qualify to be snipers or even desire the job.