Author Topic: Movie  (Read 8818 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Movie
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
Exactly. 

I think the problem the professor is having is with his hatred at anything "war".  Thereby anyone that can shoot straight is apparently a "sniper", and then jump to an even more ignorant accusation that some high percentage of "snipers", come back to America, just itching to kill people.

It's why American snipers apparently can't be considered a "hero" or even brave, despite where they put themselves on a battlefield, and the thousands of lives they personally have saved.  War is just one big mass of "bad", and since snipers are integral to a war effort, they must defacto be bad too.  Especially when compared to a fireman    ::)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:40:40 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 01:44:26 PM »
Snipers may or may not be heroic, depending on the degree of danger to which they are exposed.

My point is that not all snipers are heroes, even when doing a perfect job.  Firemen, on the other hand, are indeed heroic when they do a good job, all the time.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
Well
I never met snipers to form an opinion if thier good or bad guys. But i know many who serve and not all can be used as role models. Heroes yes we can call them that but people we want to work with in a job. Not so sure. Lets just say i'm safer working in a law firm than the museum with these guards and I've actually dealt with gun threats in a lawfirm

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
Snipers may or may not be heroic, depending on the degree of danger to which they are exposed.

They're in a war situation.  There are enemy soldiers ACTIVELY looking to kill them, knowing how integral they are to the war effort.  There isn't a lot more degree of danger than that

My point is that not all snipers are heroes, even when doing a perfect job.  Firemen, on the other hand, are indeed heroic when they do a good job, all the time.

Again, making my point....its situational.  When they're going into a burning building, they are indeed being heroic.  When sniper is taking out someone about to kill scores of Americans and/or civilians, they are indeed being heroic.  Nor are not all firemen heroes.  It depends on what they are doing, that make someone a hero or not.  It's the actions that make a person a hero, not their occupational title
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »

I think I am willing to concede this point.
But not on the basis of risk, but on the basis of choices made in the face of risk.

Taking extra risk without good reason is foolhardy thrillseeking.
Taking a measured or a large risk for good reason can be heroic.

American Snipers are not casually chosen, they are schooled and ready to make good choices, but they are much more than other soldiers alone when they make these choices.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »
I am glad to hear that.

Still, when playing a hero, John Wayne never shot anyone in the back.
 Even when they were very very bad.

As for the film, American Sniper, I will not comment on it until I actually see it.  Eastwood is at his best when he thinks things through.

Polanski,  Eastwood and even Mel Gibson have made some truly excellent, thoughtful films.

I am never, however, going to watch "Passion of the Christ" again. It and "Reservpoir Dogs" were the most annoying two films I have ever seen. But I do trey to saty away from horror flicks. And any film with the words "Bride" or Wedding" in the title.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 03:06:36 PM »
  No movie will ever surpass "Young Frankenstein", but that is a genera of its own.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
I love young frankenstein. When you play the commentary it's kinda of history lesson on borsh belt humor. You learn that sixty percent of the humor is over our heads. It's more for mels humor than ours. Ex. Damn your eyes. Too late.

Frau blucher.      Lol

P.s. I saw the wedding ringer

I have a goal to pack as much lame comedies in me as i can stomache. Actually pretty funny

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
I am glad to hear that.

Still, when playing a hero, John Wayne never shot anyone in the back.
 Even when they were very very bad.

See what I mean......the implied derrogatory insult, ala Michael Moore.  Putting aside that JW was a fictional hero, another more recent fictional "hero", is Jack Bauer, who had no problem doing whatever was needed to save thousands, if not millions of lives.  Inlcuding executing one of the good guys, at the President's authorization.  (one of the toughest episodes of the series)

Point being, its their actions that make a person brave and/or heroic.  Not their job title

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
Jack bauer

The only problem i have is his world had two nuclear attacks . Meaning doing what it takes seems to up the danger factor.

But i still can't wait for the movie to come out if it ever gets made

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
Jack bauer

The only problem i have is his world had two nuclear attacks . Meaning doing what it takes seems to up the danger factor.

But i still can't wait for the movie to come out if it ever gets made

Ditto.....now there's a movie needing made.  Of course they'll have to rename it...."2", or "2.4"    ;)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 11:51:41 AM »
John Wayne was the prototypical hero. Since I am discussing a term (heroism) that is a subjective epithet, it seems entirely appropriate to mention the prototype. As for Jack Bauer, I don't watch any of that stuff. After noting that it is impossible for Chuck Norris to get out of any vehicle that does not immediately explode afterward, I have avoided his films and stuff like that, because I already recognize infantile prototypes and find observing any more of them a waste of time.

I imagine that a lot of ex-snipers are among the large number of returning vets that find life after the war unbearable and kill themselves. Clearly, there needs to be more useful therapy and perhaps less hoopla. Soldiers who kill themselves are victims of war. And we prefer not to even think about them.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
What you imagine, and what is reality can be divided by a grand canyon of seperation

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 03:58:41 PM »
That would be your opinion.