Author Topic: Poor R-Wingers: Scotty McClellan Sells Them Out  (Read 12420 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Poor R-Wingers: Scotty McClellan Sells Them Out
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
But back to Scott McClellan's tell-all book that serves as an eyewitness to what those of us with half  a brain have been saying since 2002, clearly NOW, surely at long last, you guys will ADMIT in full that Bush and his guys are a bunch of propaganda-spreading liars.

Surely now, right?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »
Never said that.  I said according to the parameters you & Brass place at defining what a moron is, so hastily applying it to Bush, happens to fit nicely on Obama as well.  Try to keep up.

I've never listened to Obama and thought, "this guy is a moron".  Therefore he is not a moron.

LOL........what a shocker
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »
Surely now, right?

Dunno

McClellan supposes that Libby and Rove colluded to get their stories straight. Even he admits he doesn't know that for a fact.

Sorta like today. I met with another councilperson on the green and a citizen came up and asked if we were having a secret meeting, as we sit on the same committee and two makes a quorum.

Fact is we weren't talking about city business at all.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »
Never said that.  I said according to the parameters you & Brass place at defining what a moron is, so hastily applying it to Bush, happens to fit nicely on Obama as well.  Try to keep up.

I've never listened to Obama and thought, "this guy is a moron".  Therefore he is not a moron.

So the links to the U-tube of his 57 states quip isn't working for you?

Obama makes the same type and frequency of mistake as Dan Quale got famous for, not a tiny bit less.

Bush is prone to spoonerisms and oversimplifacations , perhaps you just hate Spoonerisms more thna you dislike errors of fact.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
Bush is prone to spoonerisms and oversimplifacations , perhaps you just hate Spoonerisms more thna you dislike errors of fact.

I can't think of one thing Juniorbush has said that could be called a "spoonerism". This is where the first counds of two words are swapped.

Examples of spoonerisms: "bass ackwards", "Runny Babbit, a Billy Sook".

Juniorbush is prone to  mispronunciations, like noocuelar for nuclear, and dumb statements like the mention of how ehe wants top help poor people "put food on their families".

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »

I can't think of one thing Juniorbush has said that could be called a "spoonerism". This is where the first counds of two words are swapped.

Examples of spoonerisms: "bass ackwards", "Runny Babbit, a Billy Sook".

Juniorbush is prone to  mispronunciations, like noocuelar for nuclear, and dumb statements like the mention of how ehe wants top help poor people "put food on their families".

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/spoonerisms-mondegreens-eggcorns-and-malapropisms.aspx
Malapropisms
Finally, there are malapropisms?the only one of these errors without a fun story behind the origin of the name. ?Malapropism? is derived from a French phrase meaning ?badly for the purpose.? It came into popular usage to describe the silly misuse of words after the playwright Richard Sheridan named one of his characters, who had a habit of ridiculously mixing up words, Mrs. Malaprop. (The play is called The Rivals.)

Malapropisms occur when someone substitutes a similar-sounding word for another word. For example, George Bush was reported to say, ?nuclear power pants? instead of ?nuclear power plants? in 2003,

So...

Spoonerisms are what you get when a speaker mixes up sounds, making phrases such as better Nate than lever.
Mondegreens are what you get when listeners mishear words; for example when people think the song lyrics are Sweet dreams are made of cheese instead of Sweet dreams are made of this.
Eggcorns are what you get when people swap homophones in phrases, such as spelling here, here H-E-R-E instead of H-E-A-R.
Malapropisms are what you get when someone substitutes a similar-sounding word for another, such as He's the pineapple of politeness instead of He's the pinnacle of politeness.

I liked this one...
http://estnyboer.com/bush/term2_2008.htm

You will like this one....

http://slate.msn.com/id/2100064/

And I am corrected , "Spoonerism " describes only a few of President Bushes malapropriate sayings. He isn't glib , we must agree , but I have learned a more precice understanding of the term " Spoonerism".

What catagory do most of Barak Obama's errors of speech fall into?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
Just watching CNN interviewing the White House staffers as they circle the wagons and parts of it were hilarious.  First, Scott's old boss (sorry, can't think of his name) "It just wasn't the Scott I knew," "Didn't sound like Scotty." etc. and then on to Ari Fleischer, "Didn't sound like Scott," I mean are these guys all on message or what?  Who rehearses them?

So the interviewer, Campbell Brown, finally gets exasperated with this line of obvious BS and asks Fleischer, "Oh COME ON, Arie, what are you really saying?  That aliens took over his body?"

It was a pretty funny moment, but maybe you hadda be there.

But seriously folks, this is very disturbing.  I mean . . .  uh, well, if you take any of this stuff seriously . . .  I, I, I mean, what is this Scott person saying?  That Bush lied us into war?  B-B-B-but that just can't be!!  I mean, he's LYING, right?  Scott McLellan is lying, isn't he?  Isn't he?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 10:04:27 PM »

But seriously folks, this is very disturbing.  I mean . . .  uh, well, if you take any of this stuff seriously . . .  I, I, I mean, what is this Scott person saying?  That Bush lied us into war?  B-B-B-but that just can't be!!  I mean, he's LYING, right?  Scott McLellan is lying, isn't he?  Isn't he?

If he wasn't then, then he is now.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »
And if he was then, then he isn't now.

##########################

But maybe he was just duped?  Like Bush.  I mean, Bush wasn't lying.  How could Bush lie?  He BELIEVED what they told him.  BELIEVED that Iraq was a deadly threat to the United States of America.  Who wouldn't?  Who wouldn't believe that tiny Iraq with its 23 million armed and dangerous fanatics was about to attack the U.S.A.?  Or worse yet, that they'd give their hard-to-come-by nuclear weapons to un-named "terrorists," religious fanatics who hated them and everything about them, just so that said "terrorists" could nuke the USA and never ever tell anyone where they got the nukes from?  Those are very likely scenarios.  They make a LOT of sense.  I could see where even a wise, peace-loving, gentle soul like George W. Bush could be taken in by such stories.

So my point is, If Bush could believe a whopper like that, that tiny Iraq was a "threat" to the U.S.A., surely poor old Scotty could have believed anything that Cheney or Rove or Libby told him, about who spoke to whom, and who said what when, right? 

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 11:14:25 PM »
But back to Scott McClellan's tell-all book that serves as an eyewitness to what those of us with half  a brain have been saying since 2002, clearly NOW, surely at long last, you guys will ADMIT in full that Bush and his guys are a bunch of propaganda-spreading liars.

Surely now, right?

Good luck.

McClellan has said that Bush did not go to war over any possible WMD, that it was always about reshaping the Middle East.

You think Sirs will ever admit to that? They can provide documents and tapes of W talking about the idiots believing his story, and 25% or so will still defend him until they die. It becomes more than whether it is true or not, it becomes a personal crusade.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

fatman

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »
They can provide documents and tapes of W talking about the idiots believing his story, and 25% or so will still defend him until they die. It becomes more than whether it is true or not, it becomes a personal crusade.

While I agree with you JS, I'll also say that knife cuts both ways.  If Bush were to act saintly (or had acted saintly, as we're nearing the end of his term) there would still be 25% who would hate his guts.  That's why elections are generally decided by the people in the middle.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »
McClellan has said that Bush did not go to war over any possible WMD, that it was always about reshaping the Middle East.

Been my rationale for supporting the war since day one.

No surprise there.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »

Hmmmm....

Well ,since we had been standing on Saddams wrists for more than a decade that seems like a good idea.

What elese would do so well at cutting the root causes?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 11:33:32 PM »
They can provide documents and tapes of W talking about the idiots believing his story, and 25% or so will still defend him until they die. It becomes more than whether it is true or not, it becomes a personal crusade.

While I agree with you JS, I'll also say that knife cuts both ways.  If Bush were to act saintly (or had acted saintly, as we're nearing the end of his term) there would still be 25% who would hate his guts.  That's why elections are generally decided by the people in the middle.

Fair point Fatman. Very fair.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »
But back to Scott McClellan's tell-all book that serves as an eyewitness to what those of us with half  a brain have been saying since 2002, clearly NOW, surely at long last, you guys will ADMIT in full that Bush and his guys are a bunch of propaganda-spreading liars.  Surely now, right?

Good luck.  McClellan has said that Bush did not go to war over any possible WMD, that it was always about reshaping the Middle East.  You think Sirs will ever admit to that? They can provide documents and tapes of W talking about the idiots believing his story, and 25% or so will still defend him until they die.

Lemme see, believe 1 disgruntled ex employee, or the vast majority of the Global Intelligence agencies, the NIE, the Prior administration, and a whole host of Intelligence agents intimate with the information.  Ooooooo, this is a hard one.  But I do look forward to such documents & tapes.  Currently there are......0, right?

::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle