Author Topic: How Many Homes Does John Kerry Own?  (Read 11025 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How Many Homes Does John Kerry Own?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »
I dunno.  You tell me.  My information is that Obama's top campaign adviser is David Axelrod, a professional political consultant and head of a firm of political consultants, which is not at all the same thing as a lobbyist.  If you have other information, please share it with us.

Mr. Axelrod is performing those services as a named partner of AKP&D, a professional political consulting group. Mr. Axelrod is also a named partner of a group known as "ASK", which shares offices and staff with AKP&D, and is a lobbying group. The "K" in both names is another named partner.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

ZoSo

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 06:56:46 PM »
The next president does not need to know Excel, and I'm sure McCain doesn't know how to work it but that is what secretaries are for.

He wants to be leader of the free world but he's clueless about how to go online. He should have wanted to learn that basic skill by 1995.

Thats a man with very little intellectual or technical curiosity, not the guy who'll be making us energy self sufficient anytime soon.

By his own admission, the job is over his head.

ZoSo

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
As far as elitists go, Obama earned 4 million last year. McCain earned 10 times less.

You're not fooling anyone with that one.

McCain can play the role of the non elitist on a technicality created by sound estate planning.

When your wifes business is worth 100 million & you can't afford not to have it.

10 times less my ass.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
10 times less my ass.

Is your ass saying McCain filed a false tax return?

ZoSo

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 07:25:35 PM »
Is your ass saying McCain filed a false tax return?

Did he?

Leona Helmsley filed a false one  to save $40 grand. Nothing surprises me anymore.

It's tough to play the part of the  piker when the wife you live with owns a $100 million dollar beer distributorship.

Does your ass agree with that...or is that debatable?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 07:33:17 PM »
This is his return.

http://www.johnmccain.com/downloads/mccainfinancial/final/2006_FedReturn.pdf

He isn't claiming he is poor. I simply pointed out that in 2007 he earned 1/10th as much as Obama.

Mikey seemed to think income was relevant to elitism.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 12:01:26 AM »
I think the incidents that started the "eleteist " problem for Obama had a lot to do with his attitude and what he said , but little or nothing to do with what he makes or owns.

In particular his remarks in San Fransisco that seemed to indicate a patroniseing attitude twards Gun owners and Church goers.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
<<Mikey seemed to think income was relevant to elitism. >>

It's very relevant.  McCain and his wife enjoy a combined income that dwarfs Obama's and Michelle's.  McCain comes from money and Cindy comes from money.  BIG money.  McCain is descended directly from slave-owning planters.  Michelle and Obama come from plain folk, Michelle probably from slaves, maybe even some of them owned by McCain's great-granddaddys or people just like them. 

The most ludicrous and offensive claim to date is that Obama is an elitist.  Anyone with an ounce of common sense and the most tenuous connection to the real world has to laugh.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 12:01:38 AM »
The most ludicrous and offensive claim to date is that Obama is an elitist.  Anyone with an ounce of common sense and the most tenuous connection to the real world has to laugh.

You are the one who painted Obama as the Ivory Tower candidate.

And since when is 4th generation military an automatic indication of wealth?

Was Eisenhower wealthy?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 12:28:35 AM »
<<You are the one who painted Obama as the Ivory Tower candidate.>>

Please.  I painted him as the Professor of Constitutional Law.  The "Ivory Tower" came from your palette, as did the "elitist" as did the "out of touch" etc.

<<And since when is 4th generation military an automatic indication of wealth?>>

Admiral grandfather, admiral father . . .  THAT is the indication of wealth.  None of these guys are poor.  I'm not talking about a son and grandson of engine-room stokers.

<<Was Eisenhower wealthy?>>

I dunno.  Was he the son and grandson of generals?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 12:58:46 AM »
Admiral grandfather, admiral father . . .  THAT is the indication of wealth.

How so? What kinda moolah do they make?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 01:16:08 AM »
<<Mikey seemed to think income was relevant to elitism. >>

It's very relevant.  McCain and his wife enjoy a combined income that dwarfs Obama's and Michelle's.  McCain comes from money and Cindy comes from money.  BIG money.  McCain is descended directly from slave-owning planters.  Michelle and Obama come from plain folk, Michelle probably from slaves, maybe even some of them owned by McCain's great-granddaddys or people just like them.  The most ludicrous and offensive claim to date is that Obama is an elitist.  Anyone with an ounce of common sense and the most tenuous connection to the real world has to laugh.

Home, Er, Nods
By JAMES TARANTO
August 22, 2008

Four years ago, a young state senator from Illinois named Barack Obama delivered a very good speech at the Democratic National Convention, the first indication that he might have a big future in national politics. In one week Obama will officially be the Democratic nominee for president, and he owes it to the power of words.

But Obama wants us to judge his opponent, John McCain, by his deeds. And McCain has a lot of deeds--so many that he has trouble keeping track of them all, according to Politico:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in an interview Wednesday that he was uncertain how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own.
"I think--I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico in Las Cruces, N.M. "It's condominiums where--I'll have them get to you."
The correct answer is at least four . . .
Well, that's certainly helpful to McCain. The next time someone poses this question, he can say, "At least four," confident that he's giving the correct answer.

All in all, a pretty entertaining gaffe--all the more so because, although McCain is neither haughty nor French-looking, he did serve in Vietnam, and this calls to mind another resemblance to John Kerry*, who also married an heiress and also has vast real estate holdings (or, to be more precise, his wife has them, since the Heinz Kerrys, like the McCains, have a prenuptial agreement). The McCain campaign compounded the humor of the Kerry comparison when spokesman Brian Rogers told the Washington Post: "This is a guy who lived in one house for 5? years--in prison."

The Obama campaign, however, is doing its best to beat the life out of the joke. The Los Angeles Times reports that the candidate himself brought the subject up during a rally yesterday:

"I guess if you think that being rich means that you've got to make $5 million and if you don't know how many houses you have, then it's not surprising that you might think the economy was fundamentally strong," Obama told supporters at a community college in Chester, Va.  "But if you're like me and you've got one house, or if you were like the millions of people who are struggling right now to keep up with their mortgage so they don't lose their home, you might have a different perspective."

Is Obama borrowing material from Andy Borowitz? It sounds an awful lot like one of Borowitz's "list of approved jokes" about Obama:

A traveling salesman knocks on the door of a farmhouse, and much to his surprise, Barack Obama answers the door. The salesman says, "I was expecting the farmer's daughter." Barack Obama replies, "She's not here. The farm was foreclosed on because of subprime loans that are making a mockery of the American Dream."

It's possible that Obama was not joking but trying to make a serious point--in which case it was quite the non sequitur. Obama puts the threshold for "rich" at $150,000. By his definition there are a lot more rich people in America than by McCain's. Apparently in Obama's view, the more rich people there are, the worse the economy is doing.

Salon's Glenn Greenwald, who is sort of a less distinguished version of Andrew Sullivan, has a lengthy post in which he recounts the disparaging comments of "numerous leading right-wing pundits"--mostly Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh--about the Kerrys' wealth in 2004.

Although none of the quotes he offers come from President Bush, his campaign, or any other Republican politician or political operative, Greenwald asserts: "This is the kind of campaign the GOP runs every election." Then he adds, "It's good to see the Obama campaign, finally, engaging these issues aggressively."

We'd say Obama lacks the wit of a Limbaugh or Coulter, but hey, de gustibus non est disputandum. When Obama's supporters are cheering him for Coulteresque rhetoric, though, it's clear he's come down a notch or two from his stirringly idealistic 2004 speech. And although Greenwald obviously would never support Ann Coulter for president, what does it tell us about the Angry Left that he seems to view her skill set as a qualification for the job?

Beating a dead horse
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 01:23:37 AM »
How so? What kinda moolah do they make?

Current O-10 pay grade runs around $170,000 per year.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 01:34:24 AM »
So the highest ranking admiral makes about what a Senator makes.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »
Why not cut the bullshit and get to the point - - the admirals retire and go on to consultancies or other lucrative sinecures making much more than they ever got paid for prancing around in their snazzy little uniforms.  A guy who is the son and grandson of admirals comes from a lot more money than either Michelle or Barak Obama ever saw in their wildest dreams.  They came from a class in society that represents money and good living and in McCain's case goes back to Southern planters with lots of slaves.  Slaves probably not unlike Michelle's slave ancestors. 

So keep up with the "elitist" bullshit - - a son and grandson of Admirals and a great-grandson of slave-owning planters married to a billionaire beer heiress is fighting an uphill David-and-Goliath struggle against an "elitist" biracial guy born in obscurity, raised in poverty and married to the daughter of a Chicago municipal utilities worker and the descendant of slaves.

When I said you guys live in Bizarro World, I was not in the least kidding.