Author Topic: So it's Biden  (Read 12540 times)

Cynthia

Re: So it's Biden
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 12:07:39 AM »
it's still "underfunded?"

Yes, it is.

By what amount?

Question(s): 
At what point is NCLB "fully funded"? 
At what point is Public Education "fully funded"?

Ask Biden, he knows more than you ever will, Sirs.

I'm asking a public school teacher, that supposedly know the intimate details of how "underfunded" the Public Education system is.  Or, do you not know??

Did you not read the quote from Biden? The video from Obama. They know, Sirs. That's their job...not mine. My job is to exist and teach on the battle field  with the hope and trust that the gov. knows what it is doing. Do they? I do not think so, or millions of Americans would not be so outraged. You are not, because you know not.

It's not my job to keep track of such things. My job is to see results of the government actions...(acts) So far I see very little in growth for the school system financially. I find it laughable that you question something you really have no recourse to defend. Prove a negative, you say...but can you show me where the money from the NCLB is helping our systems?

No, you want to waste your energy and time debating something on the basis of rhetoric (conservative rhetoric).

Kennedy was to blame in the larger and grander scheme of things for constructing a failure such as the NCLB act...'tis true....so I do not throw partisan arrows in the direction of Bush. I do know, however, that there are varying degrees of unfairly registered and unjustly "punitive" actions taken against the public school teacher/districts across this nation,,,,. Districts and educators who have for years demonstrated nothing less than a finite and accurate approach to educating children. There are always going to be bad apples, but the NCLB act has set itself up to punish all teachers....This is not right.

Public schools were not so very broken to begin with. In so many ways you on the side lines do not understand the reality of education, Sirs, and BT....why?because you are not on that battle field. It is a battle field. THe tests are not aligned with the curriculum, yet the scores are published in the data base for all to see....wrong information.   

WHy have not those politicians who've mandated the NCLB shown that the systems are not "quite up to par"? Why would they? BUt we see the broken limbs.  You are on the pulpit of blame and shame.....couched by BS rhetroric, Sirs. I have nothing against improving education. We have spent many hours ...many years implimenting change and best practices through training and fine tuning awareness of "how to teach". This is different. The NCLB act is not a friendly participant in assisting in growth for kids or for teachers. You and BT think that it's all about a one size fits all approach.

We are evaluated every other week in our school. We are asked to provide scores, data and proof that the children are showing growth in all academics. I had to take an extra math course about four years ago to prove that I was highly qualified. (being an old timer, we didn't have one credit hour in elementary math which is now required). Go figure. I not only took that course, I was able to provide more in the field of constructivism of math education. But, I did it with a smile. IT's all redtape, BT....most of the time it's really just BS PAPER work and red tape. My god.

Teachers are required to take an exam before they enter the system. Teaching isn't always about passing a test. But, then again, I have to say that upon entering the system, I believe it is important to take such an exam.

In my distrcit, we must show proof of  the student's improvement.  When it comes to the AYP scores in the district, we might reach a point 8, (exemplary) but  we must reach a point 9 or 10 the following year. That point 8 came up from a point 5. It doesn't matter that we were capable of teaching and showing growth from 5 to an 8. . . the next year we must prove 9,10, or higher in order to keep from being put on restriction.

Again, you guys really do not understand the measurment and analysis of the average school or district since NCLB.

So, I trust that Obama and Biden understand a hell of a lot better than McCain ever will.....I find it a dead end street to discuss such things with "men who are not aware"...let's put it on the table. I refrain from calling you ignorant. ok....?

So, if you really want to argue education in the public school system, come walk my walk and talk my talk....see if you can find your place in the position of the average teacher in our nation's public school arena.

I doubt if you would ever be able to measure up, quite frankly.

Not saying standards and such should be held high.

But the ACT did not provide enough for the child in the end.

I know because I see how much has been taken away from them in terms of curriculum. Take away art, music, social studies, science and put READING FIRST schools scripted with a focus on reading writing and arithmetic...solely...?

ONe does not produce a well rounded and educated individual.

But, then again you boys wouldn't know that...unless you are willing to listen to the teachers.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:28:33 AM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 12:16:27 AM »
No, I do not talk to my students in that way, because they have respect for others, BT.

I'm evaluated every month. btw.

We are evaluated every other week in our school.

Which is it?

Cynthia

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »
No, I do not talk to my students in that way, because they have respect for others, BT.

I'm evaluated every month. btw.

We are evaluated every other week in our school.

Which is it?

Well, we are evaluated in many ways, BT.
Monthly we are evaluated in terms of children's performance.

Weekly....even daily. >>>So which are you referring to?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:26:14 AM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 12:37:20 AM »
How often does the principal sit in your classroom and observe your methods?

Cynthia

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 12:41:29 AM »
How often does the principal sit in your classroom and observe your methods?

Once a month.

Oh, and btw, BT......the principal is so new to the job....at least three years wet behind the ears.
She knows far less than we do in terms of curriculum and program. So, if you are going to 'GO THERE", HON...don't.

You are not on the field of this battle. You talk about the Peter Principle.....

We are always at a disadvantage with our leadership. Broken is defined in terms you all will not understand.

assumtions?
DOn't go there.

We are not in a chat room situation where I can explain the details.

But, I do know that there are so many issues which go beyond your own experience with the ideal of education, Bill.

So, I say......ask and I shall give you no lies.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:45:29 AM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:46 AM »
Are you saying the principal is incompetent?

How did they get promoted?

And who promoted them?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 12:52:57 AM »
Question(s): 
At what point is NCLB "fully funded"? 
At what point is Public Education "fully funded"?

Ask Biden, he knows more than you ever will, Sirs.

I'm asking a public school teacher, that supposedly know the intimate details of how "underfunded" the Public Education system is.  Or, do you not know??

Did you not read the quote from Biden? The video from Obama. They know, Sirs.  That's their job...not mine.

Dodging the obvious for now, so what's THEIR answer?  At what point is NCLB "fully funded"?  When is Public Education "fully funded"??   You sure seem to put these non-teachers in such high esteem as apparently knowing this.  So, what's this mysterious # whch prompts the repetative response of being underfunded?  (Disregarding for the moment the current 10's of billions we apply towards Education presently)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:51 AM »
Are you saying the principal is incompetent?

How did they get promoted?

And who promoted them?

Unfortunately, yes.

For five years now, she has filp flopped from mandating we teach

A)  then B)

Now, mind you, this is where you can not understand the essence of such things. There are those who are hired in systems without knowlege ....thus the Peter Principle, Bill.

YEs,
YEs,
and Yes...sadly.

I wish I could explain to you the frustration I have had to encounter over the past 7-8 years. :(

But, I teach those little beings who come into my room with all the power I have and knowledge to boot.

I am not insecure when it comes to my job. I am an excellent teacher. I feel for the system, I do.

Our leader cares more about how the school "looks" than what is important in curriculum.  God, the politics we have had to endure these past fewyears. . . and theres' not a thing we can do about it.

So, I play the game and close my doors.

I do not blame the NCLB act for this one. But, you must understand that there are issues beyond the highest scope of excellence in the venue that is the public/and possibly private school. I can not judge that.

I have worked for over 33 years in teh public school arena. I know. I see. I live it.

Change is good, but some change is not good enough.

I see a broken act in THE NCLB. I wil not be able to convince you that we are forced to test children to the point of overkill to make the grade that is in the end......the "act".
Ironically, I am not against improvement or excellence....so I am not going to argue that point with you. I concure and concede that point.

But, when it comes to the mandates ....trickling down from the NCLBact..........SOMEONE OUT THERE knows that there is a glitich. Trust me?
Please.

Trust me.

Cindy

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 01:07:08 AM »
Do you resent being evaluated by this incompetent on a bi-weekly or even a monthly basis?

And don't worry about what i am capable of understanding .

If i need clarification, i'll ask.

That's all part of the give and take of civil discussion and that is why forums are better than chat rooms.

Cynthia

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 01:18:43 AM »
Do you resent being evaluated by this incompetent on a bi-weekly or even a monthly basis?

And don't worry about what i am capable of understanding .

If i need clarification, i'll ask.

That's all part of the give and take of civil discussion and that is why forums are better than chat rooms.

Well, hon, there are those venues which are more condusive to complete and full discussion in details....i.e. chat rooms of the old day in DHS.
But, this venue is fine for now.

BT,
I know more about program than our leader. Flat out.

Yes, I am frustrated, but I have an advantage in that I am a seasoned teacher and can close my doors and hold my own, and move my children to the place they deserve to be.

When it comes to administration/government/ etc....I have my doubts.

Many  people in the schools are under such a bullet free gun..pardon the pun.

What do most teachers say in my situation?  Well, I am almost OUTTA HERE...:(
I do not want to say that just yet.

I have five good years left in my career. . each and every day I enter my classroom, I see the faces of the kids who are hungry for more. I give them what they deserve. My god.

But, when it comes to punishment???

We have our principal who is also under a machine gun of force to enforce that we meet a given score.

BT!

God, this is why I would love to chat or email you about what is going on in my system. There's so much more than you realize.

I respect you, I do.
I know you understand good teaching....quality standards and more.

You wouldnt' have risen to the level of this forum without such expertise.

I vent here...I express here...I put up with those who "think they know" more...i.e. MR> PC.....;)

but, I wish more thananything else that you would understand that there are many systems under the bulletless weapon that is education, BT.

There IS NO PERFECTION SPOT ON  answer.

I must ask you to be open minded in terms of how the NCLB act is not quite up to par. I wouldn't complain about this if there were not issues within.

Bill, I ....am.....a  ....dedicated......teacher.

What the hell is wrong with saying that the NCLB act needs tweaking....not thrown out!

Tweaked?

Ok tired, now,....nite
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:55:43 PM by Cindy »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 01:24:57 AM »
Hmmmm.........................interesting.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 10:54:01 PM »
Hmmmm.........................interesting.

You know, Sirs, it is indeed interesting.
Frankly,  I do not mean to be negative about my principal. She is a lovely lady, really.

But when teachers are trained in the "new wave" of curriculum, such as Core Reading  i.e. Houghton Mifflin,Harcort Brace, Wilson etc etc etc, not to mention EVERYDAY MATH, and the Terc Investigation, she is our leader and also someone who has not been trained and doesn't feel that it's important enough to be a part of her "troops" in such a critical part of our children's lives. Well, then where does that leave us?
It leaves us with those teachers who refuse to give a new and promising program a healthy and college try. That's what. (here I am bitching about the NCLB and these very programs are all about the NCLB act) The details of the NCLB act still need to revisited and perhaps changed, so don't get me wrong.

But, with teachers in a particular school such as ours....those who "fudge"the program because they just don't want to try, or change....there is no possible recourse for the school if the administration has not been not only trained, but thoroughly aware of what it takes to move forward.

That's our school. So, when I am asked if I am evaluated by my principal....I try very hard not to hurt the image or feelings of that leader. She is a lovely Catholic woman, sister is married to the Mayor, but she is not, not, not capable to lead in this time of NCLB.

So, in effect, the system is broken in ways that go beyond the act itself, I have to agree.

But, the NCLB act has a way of laying out rules and regs to punish those schools and systems which do not make the grade. That is clearly THE BIGGEST ISSUE. There has to be time to make a ground level change within a given system before bashing the grunts....such as we.

We are grunts on the ground floor field. Shame on those in the upper establishment who have decided that teachers are to blame.

That's why I wanted to share my thoughts on a sort of chat. There is so much more to the issue on the level of my own field as a front line teacher that people do not hear.  IT reminds me of the soldier who does not have the proper armor to fight in battle, but by damn they DIE! IN A HEART BEAT. In the meantime, the government finally decides that something has to give.

Children were not given the full force of curriculum and a well rounded education in the past in the PS system, and they sure as hell are not given that now..in fact, they are given less.

That's a shame, and it is nationwide.

I wonder if Obama and Biden can change that. Kennedy who was honored tonight in Denver is an historic figure, but did he establish the NCLB to work or was he responsible for the broken pieces.

I simply do not know.

I will keep an open mind.

But, trust me..........when I say

kids are not getting all they deserve. In fact, under the Reagan admnin. kids were blessed with so much more.

So, perhaps it's not a matter of one party or the other......

I just can't see blaming the states, when the feds are in the lead, as well.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:00:27 PM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2008, 11:43:29 PM »

I doubt thefeds had a thing to do with the promotion of your incompetent, yet well connected principal.

Tip O' Neill said that all politics is local. I suggest that that is a good starting point.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »
I think that becomeing a Principal is what happens to bad valedictorians .

Cynthia

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2008, 01:03:30 AM »

I doubt thefeds had a thing to do with the promotion of your incompetent, yet well connected principal.

Tip O' Neill said that all politics is local. I suggest that that is a good starting point.

So true, BT.   

But, unfortunately, I won't be able to start there, myself...... because it is out of my hands at this point sadly.

I understand your point, I do, but I still maintain that none of these issues occured before the NCLB act was on the books.

So, I watch and review what Obama-Biden can truly do for teachers in dire straights.

Children are the ones who suffer, don't fool yourself.

The act itself is behind this fiasco.