Author Topic: I don't apreaciate tenants like this.  (Read 2583 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I don't apreaciate tenants like this.
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

http://painterspost.com/

Esoterica: I used to own a few rental properties. The painter Ruby Brown Shand was one of my tenants. As a young woman she had worked briefly as a teacher, only to decide she needed a life in art. Dining alone on wild mushrooms and dandelions, she paid her rent infrequently and indulged an outsized appetite for painting in pastels. She worked daily like a demon possessed. Known for her spontaneity and her flowing white cloaks, she regularly phoned her landlord to drive her out to some picturesque location where she might pay with a song. When she died she left two thousand works to the Lions Club. Though she's now been gone some twenty years, the Lions and Lionesses are still selling them off for the love of her.

Robert Glenn

Nope nope nope
         I have a mortgague to pay and nobody will buy my artwork.

I would have to allow Ms. Shand to leave , no matter how charming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I don't apreaciate tenants like this.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »
Art as a Job

http://www.economist.com/node/21536606
In fact artists (broadly defined to take in all the creative industries) are well integrated into the workforce, and more than half work in the private sector. Though they make up only 1.4% (2.1m) of America’s total labour market, they are highly entrepreneurial and twice as likely to have college degrees. All this comes from a new report by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), using data from the annual American Community Survey and the quarterly census of employment and wages.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
thiers no one type of artist,but sadly the unpleasent ones tend to standout.

but that applys to everything

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
The problem with renting is that most of the people who are looking for a place to rent most of the time are bad tenants. They tend to move several times a year, as they are always getting thrown out,  while ideal tenants tend to stay for a much longer time.

Artists can be fine people, but unless they are commercial artists with a steady job, they are not likely to be the best tenants. Again, there are exceptions to every rule.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
  How do you like Robert Glenn, who seems to have liked being paid with a song?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »
I have no problems with tenants paying landlords with a song, if the landlord approves of the arrangement.

I personally would have been unhappy if Mick Jagger were my tenant and he wanted to pay me with the lyrics to "I can't get no satisfaction." On the other hand a contract assigning the royalties in perpetuity to the song would have been a boon.

This is a theoretical speculation, of course.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
   Ah , some songs are worth more than others, good point.