Author Topic: A Tragic Prediction  (Read 10793 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: A Tragic Prediction
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
Are you are taking the Rev Phelps side on this issue?

Could you explain what the 9 year old girls funeral has to do with his message?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
I can give you nearly 3000 explanations & funerals, that have to do with this message.  And if you can't get the point I'm making, that Kramer quickly got, I don't know what to say
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »
I can give you nearly 3000 explanations & funerals, that have to do with this message.  And if you can't get the point I'm making, that Kramer quickly got, I don't know what to say

I am just not getting your message. Perhaps you can explain the link between the two situations.

Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in this analogy.

Kramer can be quite agile in his thinking, some days I can be quite slow to grasp your subtleties.

i'd appreciate any clarification your can provide.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Kramer can be quite agile in his thinking

Often times I'm a black or white kind a fellow with very little gray. Agile though seems to be a compliment, at least in my black or white world I will take it that way. Thank you.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »

I am just not getting your message. Perhaps you can explain the link between the two situations.

My apologies for the tangent to this thread.  But when Plane propped it, it was a perfect road to transit

NY.....Religous group.....wants to build an Islamic mosque right at the foot of where 3000 innocents were killed in the name of that religion.  Religious group had nothing to do with the killings, and have a perfect 1st amendment right to build it.  Advocates that it was an inappropriate location based on the gross insensitivity to the proximity of the location, and merely that it be moved a little further, were casted as bigots, intolerant to muslims and their religion

AZ.....Religious group....proports to exercise their 1st amendment rights in earshot at funerals of 6 innocents killed, in the name of no religion.  Religious group had nothing to do with the killings, and have a perfect 1st amendment right to protest Government policy.

Where's the outrage?  This is actual legislation being proposed, not merely that they shouldn't build it so close.....I mean protest so close.  If this were NY, this would be beyond bigotry and intolerance.......right?  This is actual legislation

So, why doesn't Rev Phelps get the same latitude as that Imam? 

Inapporpriate location?

Grossly insenstive?

And the difference with NY is........what again?

I hope that helped.  If it didn't, you may ask for more clarification, or Kramer can fill you in
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »
What government policy is this Kansas Church protesting in Arizona?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
Probably the same policies they've been 1st amendment right protesting at all the other funerals they've protested at.  Kind of an irrelevent question, I'd opine however.  Dare I say "strawman"?  Naaaa.......at least not yet

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
Probably the same policies they've been 1st amendment right protesting at all the other funerals they've protested at.  Kind of an irrelevent question, I'd opine however.  Dare I say "strawman"?  Naaaa.......at least not yet

At the other funerals, military ones, they have been protesting DADT. But I'm unclear as to what government policy they are protesting at a little girls catholic funeral.

And since you brought it up:
AZ.....Religious group....proports to exercise their 1st amendment rights in earshot at funerals of 6 innocents killed, in the name of no religion.  Religious group had nothing to do with the killings, and have a perfect 1st amendment right to protest Government policy.
i was hoping you could help me understand your point.

BTW these protestors are from Westboro Baptist Church (and making no secret of it) , so i would assume they are protesting in the name of Christianity or at the minimum the Baptist sect.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
Probably the same policies they've been 1st amendment right protesting at all the other funerals they've protested at.  Kind of an irrelevent question, I'd opine however.  Dare I say "strawman"?  Naaaa.......at least not yet

At the other funerals, military ones, they have been protesting DADT. But I'm unclear as to what government policy they are protesting at a little girls catholic funeral.

Doesn't really matter.  They still have a 1st amendment right to protest, that's why the question is largely irrelevent

And since you brought it up:
AZ.....Religious group....proports to exercise their 1st amendment rights in earshot at funerals of 6 innocents killed, in the name of no religion.  Religious group had nothing to do with the killings, and have a perfect 1st amendment right to protest Government policy.
i was hoping you could help me understand your point. [/color]

BTW these protestors are from Westboro Baptist Church (and making no secret of it) , so i would assume they are protesting in the name of Christianity or at the minimum the Baptist sect.

Yep.  it indeed fits your criteria of critique, in claiming that not supporting the notion of a mosque being built so close to ground zero is tantamount to condemning all of the Muslim religion and/or being intolerant to Muslims.  So, yea, applying your parameters, they'd be protesting in the name of Christianity

Again, largely irrelevent, but less though than the 1st effort
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:29:30 PM by sirs »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
Doesn't really matter.  They still have a 1st amendment right to protest, that's why the question is largely irrelevent

But you claimed that they had a right to protest government policy. So what government policy are they protesting and what does the catholic church which is holding the funeral have to do with it?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
IT DOESN'T MATTER.  They could be protesting the color of uniforms or how tight they perceive them to fit.  It's irrelevent.  They could be protesting because God told them to protest.  It doesn't matter.  

What matters is they have the 1st amendment right to build their mosque anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand........oooops, I keep interchanging the 2, being how similar a scenario they are.  What's apparently supposed to matter, based on the defense of the Imam, is that they have a 1st amendment right to criticise any government policy or some apparent connection only they can see with the Government, anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand.  Sure its in horrible taste.  Sure, its completely inappropriate and terribly insensitive.  Apparently however, any criticism is to be construed as religious intolerance & bigotry

Which again begs the question, where's the outrage at the AZ legislature by the supporters of the Imam.  With the Imam, it was merely criticism by the majority of the public and most politicians, for the location choice.  Here its actual legislation being proposed to prevent the building of a mosque.....ooops, my bad again, prevent them from exercising their 1st amendment right to protest where they want
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:45:20 PM by sirs »

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
IT DOESN'T MATTER.  They could be protesting the color of uniforms or how tight they perceive them to fit.  It's irrelevent.  They could be protesting because God told them to protest.  It doesn't matter

What matters is they have the 1st amendment right to build their mosque anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand........oooops, I keep interchanging the 2, being how similar a scenario they are.  What's apparently supposed to matter, based on the defense of the Imam, is that they have a 1st amendment right to criticise any government policy or some apparent connection only they can see with the Government, anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand.  Sure its in horrible taste.  Sure, its completely inappropriate and terribly insensitive.  Apparently however, any criticism is to be construed as religious intolerance & bigotry

Which again begs the question, where's the outrage at the AZ legislature by the supporters of the Imam.  With the Imama it was merely criticism by the majority of the public and most politicians.  Here its actual legislation being proposed to prevent the buidling of a mosque.....ooops, my bad again, prevent them from exercising their 1st amendment right to protest

'Go pound sand' could be considered a racist comment today in our PC world. How would/could a person of Middle Eastern persuasion take that comment? Could hurt their feelings.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »
So true.  Bt may see that as validation of my apparent intolerance of Muslims

bsb

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »
If the Baptists want to protest at the same distance from the Catholic church as the Islamic Center is to be built from the site of the WTC/911 tragedy, fine and dandy.

bsb

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
Absolutely.....as long as proportion is taken into account. LARGE WTC site = Small Funeral site  and  LARGE Mosque site = Small protest group.  Taking proportion into account, the Small group of protesters should be allowed to be far closer to the small funeral, compared to the actual distance between the Mosque and WTC, IF we're going to continue to see defense of the Imam & the building of a Mosque

I do however anticipate far more irrationalizations of how they don't compare and strawmen in the form of what policy the protesters are protesting.  Again, my apologies for the tangent this has taken from the original point of the thread