Author Topic: A Tragic Prediction  (Read 10791 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Tragic Prediction
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
If the Baptists want to protest at the same distance from the Catholic church as the Islamic Center is to be built from the site of the WTC/911 tragedy, fine and dandy.

bsb

What counts as "near"?

Aircraft parts from the crash landed on the Burlington building and human remains were discovered on buildings equally distant from the center point.

Near- is a concept that is diffrent for a whisper than for a bomb.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
IT DOESN'T MATTER.  They could be protesting the color of uniforms or how tight they perceive them to fit.  It's irrelevent.  They could be protesting because God told them to protest.  It doesn't matter.  

What matters is they have the 1st amendment right to build their mosque anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand........oooops, I keep interchanging the 2, being how similar a scenario they are.  What's apparently supposed to matter, based on the defense of the Imam, is that they have a 1st amendment right to criticise any government policy or some apparent connection only they can see with the Government, anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand.  Sure its in horrible taste.  Sure, its completely inappropriate and terribly insensitive.  Apparently however, any criticism is to be construed as religious intolerance & bigotry

Which again begs the question, where's the outrage at the AZ legislature by the supporters of the Imam.  With the Imam, it was merely criticism by the majority of the public and most politicians, for the location choice.  Here its actual legislation being proposed to prevent the building of a mosque.....ooops, my bad again, prevent them from exercising their 1st amendment right to protest where they want

Well you certainly bring up some interesting points. But alas you raise more questions. I'll take them one at a time, as i seek further clarification

What's apparently supposed to matter, based on the defense of the Imam, is that they have a 1st amendment right to criticise any government policy or some apparent connection only they can see with the Government, anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand.

What government policies was the Iman protesting, with the building of the Park51 Center?

bsb

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:27 PM »
First of all, sirs, you seem to be confused. No one who knows the facts has been discussing a proposal for the construction of a Mosque a block away from the old WTC site. They have however been discussing a proposal for the construction of an Islamic Center.

Being as you're a west coaster we will forgive you that misinformation this one time.

bsb

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
What government policies was the Iman protesting, with the building of the Park51 Center?

Who said they were protesting anything?  They're simply exercising their 1st amendment right to build their church and practice their religion where they want.  I noticed how you purposely ignored the specifics of the Mosque and now trying to make this about protesting alone.  Nice try, it doesn't wash however.  Using the the full quote, in context, so Bt doesn't manage to confuse anyone:

What matters is they have the 1st amendment right to build their mosque anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand........

oooops, I keep interchanging the 2, being how similar a scenario they are.
  (read: not identical.  It's referred to as an anology.  You can't simply swap anything you want)

What's apparently supposed to matter, based on the defense of the Imam, is that they have a 1st amendment right to criticise any government policy or some apparent connection only they can see with the Government, anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:51:29 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »
First of all, sirs, you seem to be confused. No one who knows the facts has been discussing a proposal for the construction of a Mosque a block away from the old WTC site. They have however been discussing a proposal for the construction of an Islamic Center.

No, there's no confusion here B.  There will be a Mosque within the Cultural Center, or so I'm told.  It's just easier and faster to spell Mosque vs Islamic Cultural Center.

It's been all about the same point, ever since the beginning.  It has nothing to do with intolerance to religion, be it Muslim or Baptist.  It has nothing to do with trying to deny anyone their 1st amendment rights. It has prescious little to do with anything outside of Location, Location, Location.  An Islamic Mosque built a block away from thousands murdered in the name of Islam it too close.  A protest of a funeral a mere 100yards away is too close.  No one said they can't, merely that both LOCATIONS are egregiously insensitive & inappropriate.  Largely, by design it would seem, as they've both facilitated exactly the appropriate outrage both have received.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
What's apparently supposed to matter, based on the defense of the Imam, is that they have a 1st amendment right to criticise any government policy or some apparent connection only they can see with the Government, anywhere they want, and the rest of us should go pound sand

My bad. What government policy are they criticizing by building the Park51 center?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
If the Baptists want to protest at the same distance from the Catholic church as the Islamic Center is to be built from the site of the WTC/911 tragedy, fine and dandy.

bsb

What counts as "near"?

Aircraft parts from the crash landed on the Burlington building and human remains were discovered on buildings equally distant from the center point.

Near- is a concept that is diffrent for a whisper than for a bomb.

I like your analogy.

bsb

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »
I see there's another fact you seem to be missing on top of not understanding that it's an Islamic Center not a Mosque.

No one was murdered in the name of Islam. They were murdered my members of a terrorist group that happens to use a bastardized form of Islam to benefit the groups growth and prosperity.

You're not doing to well, sirs. 

bsb

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:11 PM »

My bad. What government policy are they criticizing by building the Park51 center?

Let's try again.......
the defense of the Imam is in their 1st amendment right to BUILD right where they want. 
Applying THAT defense,
the defense of the Church group should be in their 1st amendment right to CRITICIZE anything/everything Government, right where they want

And of course, any criticisms of those actions by the Imam or Baptists are to be construed as religious intolerance & bigotry

Clear yet, or are you going to keep throwing mud onto the wall to see what sticks?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »

Let's try again.......
the defense of the Imam is in their 1st amendment right to BUILD right where they want. 
Applying THAT defense,
the defense of the Church group should be in their 1st amendment right to CRITICIZE anything/everything Government, right where they want

And of course, any criticisms of those actions by the Imam or Baptists are to be construed as religious intolerance & bigotry

Clear yet, or are you going to keep throwing mud onto the wall to see what sticks?

Ok so they aren't criticizing govt policy by building the Park51 Center. Just wonder why you said they were.

So in trying to understand your analogy.

Tucson is to NY like X is to Fred Phelps. So who is X?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »
I see there's another fact you seem to be missing on top of not understanding that it's an Islamic Center not a Mosque.

Actually the fact is I NEVER said that.  I said that the plans include a Mosque WITHIN the Islamic Cultural Center.  Is reading for comprehension becoming an issue with you

No one was murdered in the name of Islam. They were murdered my members of a terrorist group that happens to use a bastardized form of Islam to benefit the groups growth and prosperity.

Yea.....and?  Those Terrorists weren't singing Christian hymns.  In their eyes, they were doing Allah's bidding.....and Bin Laden's.  In their eyes, and much of the Islamic world, they killed in the name of Islam. 

You're not doing to well, sirs.  

LOL...you're the one to talk

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »

Let's try again.......
Applying THAT defense,

Ok so they aren't criticizing govt policy by building the Park51 Center. Just wonder why you said they were.

Probably because I didn't

So in trying to understand your analogy.

Tucson is to NY like X is to Fred Phelps. So who is X?

Math was never my strong suit, but pretty much the Imam.  But it's more the group behind/surrounding Phelps, and the group behind/surrounding the Imam. 

And don't start asking what policies the Imam is protesting.  He isn't, because that was never the point of the anology.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth, but to be clear:

You think because Phelps has the right to protest that the iman has the right to build his Park51 Center no matter the objections of the little girls family or the new yorkers who are offended?

Well i can agree with that.

And just to be clear i don't think this action by the AZ legislature will pass scrutiny from the courts.

And also to be clear, i think the iman and his group have more in common with the little girl and her family than he does with Fred Phelps. Which is why i was having so much trouble with your analogy.

bsb

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
Until I brought up the fact that it was a center, not a Mosque, you referred to it only as a Mosque. Are you trying to tell me now that you didn't mean it was a Mosque?

As for Islam. Anyone who has bothered to educate themselves in the decade since 9/11 knows that no one was murdered in the name of Islam. They were murdered in the name of a few Muslim radicals.

You are a very poorly informed individual, sirs. Purposefully so I suspect.

bsb

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
You think because Phelps has the right to protest that the iman has the right to build his Park51 Center no matter the objections of the little girls family or the new yorkers who are offended?

Well i can agree with that.

Well, we're kinda in agreement, since we can both agree they have the right, I strongly criticize their continued actions.  Both are beligerent with no sense of sensitivity or care for the repercussions of their actions.  Yet one is defended with its critics castigated religious intolerants & bigots.  Where's the same outrage and castigation of the AZ legislature?  Surely the same ones defending the Imam would be defending Phelps. 

If not, why not?? 

It's largely the same issue....grossly insensitive & plausibly provocative location choice

And also to be clear, i think the iman and his group have more in common with the little girl and her family than he does with Fred Phelps. Which is why i was having so much trouble with your analogy.

No wonder you're having trouble, since the commonality here is in the actions and defense of those actions, pushing 1st amendment issues that can be seen as poor judgement at minimum, and perhaps purposely provocative with a great big middle finger to the U.S. and common decency, as an agenda