Author Topic: A Tragic Prediction  (Read 10790 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: A Tragic Prediction
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2011, 03:01:01 AM »
When you see a mosque do you think 9-11?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2011, 03:44:08 AM »
No
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »
So there is no symbolism in a mosque, as it relates to 9-11, per se?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
Not sure where you're going Bt.  No, I don't equate Muslims with 911.  Nor do I don't equate a mosque with 911.  Nor do I equate an Islamic Cultural Center with 911. 

I do equate Islamic Terrorists with 911
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »
Until I brought up the fact that it was a center, not a Mosque, you referred to it only as a Mosque. bsb

There is a distinction, where is a diffrence?

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »
But see Pooch, you've missed the point that makes the analogies dead on.  No one is arguing that folks can't build a religious center, as it is a normal "maintanance function" of a religious organization nor don't have a 1st amendment right to build it as a part of practicing their religion.  No one is arguing folks don't have a 1st amendment right to protest

The point is the locations.  You kinda referenced them, then pushed them asided to explain why the analogies are flawed.  I agree, if you remove the location component, there is no analogy.  But since my whole point of contention with "the Mosque" has been its location, the analogies are dead on, since it's the location of the protest that's equally egregious.  "Proximity" though is a good qualifier, to this debate, and I apprecate your injecting it

But I stand by the accuracy of the analogy, and perplexed as to why the Imam gets a pass while Phelps is appropriately condemned.  And equally perplexed at how critics of the Imam are casted as religious bigoted intolerants, but no such term is being appled to critics of Phelps?

No I didn't miss the point.  I called the point inaccurate - and it is.  Pehelps is not protesting a location - he is protesting an activity.  Since you make a false analogy, your question about why people are upset is without logical basis.  People are upset with Phelps because he is protesting an ACTIVITY - not a location.  %The arguments against a mosque at the ICC site are based only on religious bigotry and nothing else.  the fact that people cannot see this in their arguments does not negate the cccuracy.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
BUT   ;-)   The issue remains the location.  Phelps isn't protesting a location, just as the Imam is not.  It's their location choices, at issue, backed up by their 1st amendment rights.  Doesn't matter what Phelps is protesting, because largely the issue with him IS his location.  If he were to protest the 9year old's funeral in....Indiana, yea, he'd get some grief, but AZ wouldn't be looking to legislate a block to his 1st amendment right to protest.  

The fact that the arguement against the Imam building his mosque is directly related to the proximity to the WTC site, again is founded in location & acute lack of sensitivity, and prescious little to do with him being a Muslim.  Made all the more valid in how there's no such protest the further away from the WTC he gets....-->   LOCATION.  And as I've referenced before, the same non-support of a Christian structure would be present, if the WTC had been brought down by a bunch of Anti-abortion Christian zealots....or if some massive "Green" facility were to be built in the name of mother Earth, yet the WTC had been brought down by a bunch of self-proclaimed ELF terrorists.

So no, the anology remains dead on, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:55:24 PM by sirs »

bsb

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »
This is very simple. If they have the right sensitivity wise to build their center in Dogpatch Alaska they have the same right sensitivity wise a block from ground zero. In fact even more so. Many of those who oppose the building of the center near ground zero have claimed Al Qaeda attacked us because they don't like the freedoms we have. Obviously then, the thing to do is show them how free we are and not just allow the center to built at the proposed location, but URGE it. WE ARE A FREE COUNTRY! IF SOME OF YOU ASSHOLES WHO ARE OPPOSED TO THIS HAD ACTUALLY SACRIFICED FOR OUR FREEDOM MAYBE YOU'D GET THE POINT! WE DON'T TURN OUR FREEDOMS ON AND OFF. THEY REMAIN ON 24/7 PUBLIC OPINION BE DAMNED!!

Are we going to not allow a Korean restaurant to be built across te street from a VA hospital because their might be Korean War vets in the hospital? GET A GRIP. 

bsb

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
I think that if Phelps were to stage his protests right in frount of the White House I would not mind them so much.

The "Reverend"(haha) Phelps chooses venues for protest for maximum impact and minimum returns of respect.

I find the comparison apt not because it is exactly the same , but because it is diffrent enough to make the simular principal stand out.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
Well the more i listen to Sirs argument the more i realize that the 9 year olds family is showing extreme insensitivity in holding the funeral so close to Phelps protest.

Location Location Location

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »
Well the more i listen to Sirs argument the more i realize that the 9 year olds family is showing extreme insensitivity in holding the funeral so close to Phelps protest.

Location Location Location

Exactly , if you were to change the time and/or place of either ,to avoid the juxtaposition, the impact would be exponentially reduced.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2011, 01:37:17 AM »

LOL....yea, that's it