Author Topic: Fewer Guns, Fewer Deaths  (Read 10806 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fewer Guns, Fewer Deaths
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 02:24:19 AM »
I never said the NRA was behind this .  I said certain members think like this.

You sure seemed to imply that it was a core mindset within the NRA.  Perhaps next time you can be a tad more selective in your innuendo, if you're unable to provide any pertinent quotes or platform position by the NRA

I never even heard of brady

bradycampaign.org

I even qouted members here are happy with the right to not own a gun.

Which is perfectly fine, and yet has nothing to do with the NRA nor some pervasive mindset within them that we are all to own guns or risk being branded unpatriotic
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 02:47:41 AM »
How about they can own a licensed gun if they have no criminal record and never pleaded insanity to any criminal charges?  And the gun they own has to be kept on the premises of a licensed gun club or shooting range which will lose its licence and forfeit a five million dollar bond if any gun in its custody ever strays off the premises?

What kind of crime would this prevent?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 02:57:42 AM »
it should be treated as a right not as a requirement
meaning people who wish not to own it should be left alone and not be called idiots by the NRA members
which is not a smart move by people of the NRA,since alot of non-gun owner are supporters of the 2nd amendment.

That seems likea good idea.
    Most Swiss citizens are required to have a gun , it is exactly a well regulated militia.

Huge massicres like todays woldn't be possible if no one had access to a firearm especially the malicious, but this is an impossibility .

What would be possible , is that we get rid of the gun free zones like colledge campuses , or Lubys restraunt , so that the malicious can have no confidence that they will find the law abideing people helpless.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
How about they can own a licensed gun if they have no criminal record and never pleaded insanity to any criminal charges?  And the gun they own has to be kept on the premises of a licensed gun club or shooting range which will lose its licence and forfeit a five million dollar bond if any gun in its custody ever strays off the premises?

Nah. I would prefer the Swiss model - everyone is required to own a machine gun, and store it in their house.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 10:13:51 AM »
<<What kind of crime would this [restricting access to one's gun to licensed, bonded gun clubs] prevent?>>

Crimes where a law-abiding citizen buys a gun for non-criminal reasons, owns it uneventfully and then is subjected to events or pressures that turn him into a very hostile, angry and destructive person reaching for the closest gun at hand.

I don't agree with sirs' assumption that any non-criminal guy can get a gun as easily or as quickly from underworld sources as he can from the top drawer of his own night-table.

Some of them can, some of them can't.  Some of them will cool off before they succeed in getting the gun from underworld sources.  In NONE of the school shootings that I am aware of was the shooter already a member of the underworld with easy and quick access to illegal and banned weapons. 

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »
<<Nah. I would prefer the Swiss model - everyone is required to own a machine gun, and store it in their house.>>

That's OK for the Swiss, who unlike the Americans, don't live in a culture of unbridled psychopathic violence and total social irresponsibility.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 10:25:09 AM »
In NONE of the school shootings that I am aware of was the shooter already a member of the underworld with easy and quick access to illegal and banned weapons. 

Columbine shooting. All the firearms were either purchased illegally or stolen.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 10:26:02 AM »
who unlike the Americans, don't live in a culture of unbridled psychopathic violence and total social irresponsibility.

That's not true in the US. Many parts of the US have lower violent crime rates than neighboring parts of Canada.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »
<<That's not true in the US. Many parts of the US have lower violent crime rates than neighboring parts of Canada.>>

Yeah.  And many, many, many more, don't.  Furthermore, I doubt if there is ANY part of Switzerland which would top any part of the U.S.A. or Canada in violent crime rates.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »
I don't agree with sirs' assumption that any non-criminal guy can get a gun as easily or as quickly from underworld sources as he can from the top drawer of his own night-table.

A) I never said/implied "any non-criminal", and B) I never said/implied "easily".  For once Tee, try to keep it honest.  Anyone who decides to perform an illegal activiity, is NOT a "non-criminal".  Anyone that acts to use a gun illegally is NOT a "non-criminal".  Capisce'?

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

modestyblase

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »
Nah. I would prefer the Swiss model - everyone is required to own a machine gun, and store it in their house.

Agreed.

Crimes where a law-abiding citizen buys a gun for non-criminal reasons, owns it uneventfully and then is subjected to events or pressures that turn him into a very hostile, angry and destructive person reaching for the closest gun at hand.

In that instance, the gun is not the issue; the lack of stress management skills is.

Visit a ghetto.

That's OK for the Swiss, who unlike the Americans, don't live in a culture of unbridled psychopathic violence and total social irresponsibility

Well, then, the problem is not with guns. You've just admitted it. Violation of any liberty is quite ugly, and paves the way for further-perhaps unintended by the original criers-violations. Certainly, the U.S. has more psychopathy-more serial killers-than even Weimarian Berlin. THAT SOCIETY IS F**KED AND HAS ITS ISSUES does not constitute on my behalf giving up my rights to gun ownership.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
In NONE of the school shootings that I am aware of was the shooter already a member of the underworld with easy and quick access to illegal and banned weapons. 

Columbine shooting. All the firearms were either purchased illegally or stolen.

D'OH         ;)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 12:21:44 PM »
Furthermore, I doubt if there is ANY part of Switzerland which would top any part of the U.S.A. or Canada in violent crime rates.

Good. Then both the US and Canada should adopt the Swiss model and issue machine guns and ammunition to everyone, as well as require periodic target practice with the firearms.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
<<A) I never said/implied "any non-criminal", and B) I never said/implied "easily".  For once Tee, try to keep it honest.  Anyone who decides to perform an illegal activiity, is NOT a "non-criminal".  Anyone that acts to use a gun illegally is NOT a "non-criminal".  Capisce'?>>

Fair enough but my point was that not everyone will find it easy to get guns if guns are either outlawed or highly restricted.  The argument that "only cops and criminals will have guns" ignores the fact that some people who up to a certain point have been leading non-criminal lives will have to figure out how to get a gun illegally if they develop a sudden need for one, and that by the time they finally get one, they may no longer wish to use it.  OTOH, if guns can be bought over the counter at any sporting-goods store, somebody is going to get one the same day he feels the urge to use one and the end result will be an otherwise preventable gun crime.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 02:19:29 PM »
<<Good. Then both the US and Canada should adopt the Swiss model and issue machine guns and ammunition to everyone, as well as require periodic target practice with the firearms.>>

I will take that as the joke that I am sure it was intended to be, and note in reply that Don Imus is probably duly thankful that his country did NOT adopt the Swiss model.