Author Topic: Free speech was nice while it lasted.  (Read 12401 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Free speech was nice while it lasted.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
Not the Supreme Court.....they're the folks that have the final rule on matters of Constitutional parameters.  In other words, the lower court got it wrong, and this is likely to be appealed.  The 1st amendment is just that important
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:47:10 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 12:47:36 PM »
As I said....the 1st amendment is just that important
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 06:05:33 PM »
You assume that the Supreme Court will even hear this case.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »
I don't assume anything.  For those without the reading difficulties you frequently demonstrate for all to see, I said this case is likely to be appealed.  How high it goes, I have no idea.  Court gets these cases wrong many a time, with their version of "interpreting" the Constitution.  That's why there's an appeals process

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
I think that the legality of putting up "We reserve the right to reserve service to anyone" signs has been decided long ago.

The purpose of these signs was to let Blacks and other disliked minorities that the management did not want their business. These signs are NEVER seen in any chain restaurants, even Southern ones, like Waffle House and Po Boys. And since 1970 the number of non chain restaurants has declined.

A baker has the right to put up a sign in the window saying "We disapprove of gay marriage". But they do not have the right to refuse to bake the cake.

This lawsuit is a test case and it is on a very, very minor importance.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 06:08:32 AM »

This is obviously some sort of test case, otherwise the couple would have just told the bigoted baker to kiss off and found a different bakery. So it is not really about free speech at all, it is about symbolically using the government to punish either gays for wanting to get married or bakers for refusing to bake a cake to show they disapprove.

Ah!

Bingo!

And that the government gets to determine what is and is not art , I almost missed that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »
I don't think that a cake is what most people call "art". Perhaps making a cake is an art, but there are no cake museums. Cakes are too ephemeral to be serious art.

Besides, a wedding cake is a commissioned edible product in which the people ordering it decide what it is to look like.  The Sistine Chapel was commissioned, but it was durable, not edible. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
I think that the legality of putting up "We reserve the right to reserve service to anyone" signs has been decided long ago.  The purpose of these signs....

...was to indicate that a private enterprise/business had the right not to serve someone, based on whatever the situation was, despite that they "catered to the public".  Any place that would try to make the practice one of racial intolerance, would quickly see their profits shrink, as folks would simply not cater to them.

Point being, that the Government's job is to protect its citizens, not and try to mandate behavior.  And certainly not to stamp on a person(s) constitutional rights of Religious Freedom, based on nothing more than obscene out-of-control political correctness

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »
Until the 1960's, most places in the South that DID serve Black people were boycotted by their regular White customers.

The real point of previous rulings is that it is free speech to say you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, but to actually do so based on race or sex was illegal.
After this was ruled on, the signs slowly vanished. I haven;t seen one since around 1976, in Lumberton, North Carolina.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »
I still see them.....the point being that any private business has the right not to have their religious freedom stomped on, in the name of political correctness, regardless of if they "cater to the public".  You just go to a different business

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 02:10:58 PM »
How is baking a cake "stomping on religious freedom"?

Are we to assume that they actually believe that God will get angry if they bake a cake that is eaten by buggerers?

What if they were not told that the couple was gay, and the gay couple just exchanges the plastic Bride & Groom dollies on the top for Lesbian dollies or Gay Male dollies after they had baked it?  God would know and should inform them of such trickery, right?