Author Topic: Poor R-Wingers: Scotty McClellan Sells Them Out  (Read 12422 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Poor R-Wingers: Scotty McClellan Sells Them Out
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »
Many things are equivelent like Georgian, Costa Rican and Canadian plywood.

The relitive cost of the domestic product improves withthe falling dollar and we import less plywood.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the first time I have seen an argument that a falling dollar is good for America.  Of course, if you focus on specific areas of trade, there will be some sectors which benefit: possibly, as you point out, plywood exports.  The falling dollar is bad for other sectors: oil imports.  What's the big picture?

America has a huge trade deficit.  Imports much more than it exports (measured in dollar volume) and that situation long pre-dated the fall of the dollar.  The cause is not hard to find:  things that you used to export can be made better and cheaper elsewhere.  That isn't going to change.  If your currency lowers to make your exports more attractive to foreign buyers, you are making it correspondingly more expensive to buy foreign imports.  Since you import much more than you export, and since some imports (like oil) are absolutely essential to your economy, the NET EFFECT of a falling dollar is going to be damaging to the U.S. economy. 

So do you get why China pegged its currency below the dollar to ensure that it would not rise in value against the dollar for years?

The currency being very strong made exports expensive to furreners , now less so. The balance of trade will be directly affected . This is like all of us takeing a pay cut to produce a few extra jobs in exports.

It is bad I don't deny , but it is not all bad and you can't insist on having it both ways , the trade deficit is a consequence of a strong dollar , mostly ....

So Exporting industrys will benefit , imports will decline the "balance" of trade will look better.

All in all I prefer the imbalance that a strong currency gave us ,but the full employment a weak dollar is likely to cause will be nice too.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2008, 02:12:02 AM »
<<So do you get why China pegged its currency below the dollar to ensure that it would not rise in value against the dollar for years?>>

No, I'm not all that familiar with China's economy and its needs, but China's situation is very different from America's and what's good for China is not necessarily good for the U.S.A.  There are so many differences between China's economy and that of the U.S. that this question can get us both sucked into discussions of the Chinese economy which, at least on my part, and I suspect yours as well, will be rendered pretty  useless due to my and perhaps your basic ignorance of the subject.

<<The currency being very strong made exports expensive to furreners  now less so. The balance of trade will be directly affected . This is like all of us takeing a pay cut to produce a few extra jobs in exports.>>

Well, yes, except that the hardship experienced by the vast majority of the population in the form of increased prices for energy vastly outweighs the economic benefits to the export sector.  This in fact is the "belt-tightening" scenario that I depicted in my post - - there will be horrible domestic effects, lost jobs and businesses due to sky-rocketing fuel costs, freezing homes in winter, cuts to all services and entitlements, ballooning crime rates - - and at the same time an increase  in export volume IF the rising costs of imported energy and transportation don't nullify any increased sales due to a weaker dollar.

<<It is bad I don't deny , but it is not all bad and you can't insist on having it both ways . . . >>

But I didn't.  I conceded the possibility of some parts of the export sector benefitting from the weaker dollar.

<< . . . the trade deficit is a consequence of a strong dollar , mostly ....>>

Absolutely not.  A weak dollar is a response to a negative balance of trade.  A positive balance of trade means more foreigners bidding for U.S. dollars in the world currency markets, which drives up the price of the dollar against the currency of any country whose people are bidding for dollars.  Conversely, weak U.S. exports weaken the demand for U.S. dollars and drive the dollar down.

<<So Exporting industrys will benefit , imports will decline the "balance" of trade will look better.>>

Sure the balance of trade will "look better."   But the standard of living will look a lot worse.  That is always the case with countries requiring drastic currency readjustment.  "Imports will decline" will make the balance of trade "look better" but in real life that means less petroleum for business and recreational transport, less power for home heating and less raw materials for manufacturing.  Less petroleum (or, same thing, more expensive petroleum, therefore available to fewer people) means that businesses dependent on transportation adjust to the higher cost of fuel by laying off workers, raising prices and/or slashing the paycheques of the workers and/or owners and managers.  These folks now have less money to pay for higher-priced food.  Don't confuse a "better looking" balance of trade with a higher standard of living.  When the basic cause of both is a falling dollar due to profligate spending and declining exports (a fatal combination IMHO) then the good-looking balance of trade (really just a piece of paper, a means of score-keeping) is a very poor compensation for the real-life misery caused by inflation and declining living standards.

<<All in all I prefer the imbalance that a strong currency gave us ,but the full employment a weak dollar is likely to cause will be nice too.>>

For the reasons outlined above, of course, your weak dollar will likely not be able to produce full employment and there will be nothing nice about the sharp decline in the standard of living, which will never be off-set by the relatively minor increases, if any, in the export markets.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2008, 06:46:02 AM »
For the reasons outlined above, of course, your weak dollar will likely not be able to produce full employment and there will be nothing nice about the sharp decline in the standard of living, which will never be off-set by the relatively minor increases, if any, in the export markets.

Well, we will see.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:47:33 AM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »
When Nixon buggered the dollar in the 1970's, it was followed by a recession and depression, which poor Jerry Ford and all the WIN (Whip Inflation Now) buttons could not resolve. That brought on the election of Jimmy Carter, who was set up by Kissinger to be screwed by the Iran hostage mess. Carter put solar panels on the White House and wore cardigan sweater so the thermostat could be raised.

Carter did manage to enact Zero Based Budgeting, and then Reagan got credit for how well it worked when the stock market finally rose again. Reagan then borrowed and borrowed like there was no tomorrow and blamed Congress.

Reagan showed contempt for Carter's economizing by ripping the solar panels off the White House. I imagine that Nancy raised the thermostat, though.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."