Author Topic: Obama is our next president  (Read 8915 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama is our next president
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »
Actually, Carter and Bush had similar idealistic foreign policy views. It was an odd twist for the GOP.

Yea, Carter was so forward in using the military and increasing its budget.  That also explains the military interventions Carter imposed, to help support his foreign policy       ::)   

It isn't just my opinion Sirs, the man has the record for lowest approval rating.

Yes, it is, and YES, that's just poll taking.  I'm referring to actual acts and results, not polling of other people's opinions.  sorry, it's just your opinion he's one of the worst.  It's my opinion he was marginally good, and that history will judge him even better.

And you talk about the economy as if he is no longer in office!! He is still the president.

And news flash Js.....CONGRESS has a much greater pull on the economy than the president has.  They hold the pursestrings, and if you haven't also noticed, the economy started taking its nosedive when the Dems took over congress.  That doesn't take Bush off the hook for going along with the insidious spending that congress put forth, but for those of us who know politics a little shrewder than the regular joe on the street, we know that the president and his party, are universally the targets when the economy goes bad, regardless of any effects they had.  It's just what is.  So you can claim that he has bad poll #'s.  You can claim that the economy has tanked now at the end of the term.  We both know there's FAR more involved in "laying blame", just much easier (and lazier) to point the finger at Bush

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 12:28:57 AM »
McCain's record is like a cat. He has had 8 lives. Could this be his last?
Or could he make this one a new life as our nation's leader?  In so many ways, I hope he pulls it off.

I really do.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 05:56:34 AM »
Or could he make this one a new life as our nation's leader?  In so many ways, I hope he pulls it off.

He's an old fart who still thinks Vietnam was a great idea. This country has had too damn much of warmongering, warloving imperialist assholes.

He dies and we get Palin, an imbecile who knows less than my cat about the world.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

richpo64

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
>>Are you crying Rich? It isn't my fault that Bush is horrid.<<

I'm not sure how to respond to such creativity and insight.

::)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »

It is my opinion, but I've called it pretty well thus far.

You didn't call anything. You didn't once mention the impending credit meltdown caused mostly by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. You simply spout Democrat talking points after the fact. All you do is vote Democrat, and it doesn't take very much thought.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »

You didn't call anything. You didn't once mention the impending credit meltdown caused mostly by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. You simply spout Democrat talking points after the fact. All you do is vote Democrat, and it doesn't take very much thought.

I most certainly did discuss both the credit crunch and the housing bubble. Go back and look.

I don't do Democrat talking points, as I'm not a Democrat.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »
You didn't call anything. You didn't once mention the impending credit meltdown caused mostly by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. =====================================
The housing credit meltdown was not caused by Frank and Dodd. The Republicans had a hand in it too.

The first error was that mortgages were bundled together and presumable "insured" against default by credit swap bondsw, which were supposed to have value, because they were based on the default rates of years gone by. Then banks began to lend money on what people said they earned, rather than what their W-2 statements said they earned.. Then not even that was required, they just looked up the borrower's occupation in a book or caled an 'expert', and granted the loan.

Both Juniorbush and the Democrats were all for this "Ownershop Society" thing, as Juniorbush called it. No banks were forced to accept any loans. but low interest rates encouraged them to approve tons of these thing, just to make up in numbers what these loans could not make them on the rates. Of course, the rates on these were higher than they were for more secure loans. In several months, the sh*t hit the fan, when these lenders began to default, and many more went into default when the teaser rates on the adjustable rate mortgages went up,  and ther lenders could no longer pay their installments. The Credit swap arrangements turned out to not be insurance after all. The entire system was a house of cards based on the assumption that house prices would continue to go up forever, which was no longer the case when the number of foreclosed houses exceeded the demand of people who could get a mortgage.

The responsibility was everyone's and no one's, since there was no control on who could be issued loans. The banks formerly would not lend money to insolvent people, but when it became possible to bundle the loans up and peddle them to other banks, "insured" by credit swaps as secure investments, banks went ape lending money, speculators went ape flipping houses to people who could not afford houses, and builders went ape building houses. It was a perfect storm of activity based on the false assumption that house prices would go up forever.

richpo64

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »
>>The housing credit meltdown was not caused by Frank and Dodd. The Republicans had a hand in it too.<<

Interesting sentence.

First Frank and Dodd didn't cause the meltdown, then Republicans had a hand in it TOO. (?)

To deny Dodds and Franks culpability in this is to deny reality. Period.

crocat

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
That'd be your OPINION about him being one of the worst.  during his hay day, Federal reserve was raking in the dollars, unemployment remained incredibly low, economy bounced back much faster after 911 than anyone could have imagined, no terrorist attacks on our soil, when if you asked nearly anyone, it wasn't a matter of if, but when they'd hit again.  

I actually see him, all things considered a marginal thumbs' up, but by no means Reagan.  Disastrously bad at allowing congress to spend like drunken sailors, and poor contingincies for the post Saddam era.  But FAR better than Clinton, and we don't even have to mention Carter in the same breath.  Remember, I'm one of those that understood the intel at the time of Bush going into Iraq, and that it was the RIGHT thing to do, with what we knew.  I'm still expecting to see history view Bush to Iraqis as Lincoln was to the slaves.

Actually, Carter and Bush had similar idealistic foreign policy views. It was an odd twist for the GOP.

It isn't just my opinion Sirs, the man has the record for lowest approval rating. And you talk about the economy as if he is no longer in office!! He is still the president. What is worse is that we will pay for his terrible leadership for the next two or three years at least.[/b] Not just the Federal Government, but states, and local governments as well. Whether or not Bush gets a thumbs up for Iraq, he will always be known (much as Carter) for getting the middle finger for the economy. He discouraged savings, rode the housing bubble even after it was well known that it was sunk. He'll forever be known for the $1 trillion credit bailout and disastrous inability to lead.

Actually, it is just your opinion because 'what Presidents are forever known as" changes.

I think that you are giving government as a whole a giant pass and hanging this on the President.  I remember 8 years ago all the hoopla about Roe v. Wade and religion being taught in schools and that certainly didn't happen.  Trust me, if it were so simple as to have one culprit in bad times the bad times would be much shorter.

I think you can hang a big ole " I helped" ribbon on the press.   I have never seen so many liberal, multi orgasmic newscasters creamin their jeans over bad news.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »
To deny Dodds and Franks culpability in this is to deny reality. Period.

============
You know nothing but what Rush tells you, which is to say, nothing true.

richpo64

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 11:16:33 PM »
>>You know nothing but what Rush tells you, which is to say, nothing true.<<

Creative? Insightful?

Naw. When they start in on Rush it's just the template. He can't argue the facts, so he insults.

It's the best he can do with limited skills.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
YOur limited skills are what causes you to constantly quote Rush.

All you do is ape talkshow radio. It's pathetic.

richpo64

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 11:24:37 PM »
>>YOur (sic) limited skills are what causes you to constantly quote Rush. All you do is ape talkshow radio. It's pathetic.<<

I suppose this is another one of your "facts." 

Like I said, there's not much you can do besides throw out these petty little insults, or shouting, YOUR GOING DOWN! Uh oh, that really scares me ... I'm going down ... goodness me.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »
You know Xo, it gets really tiring and demonstrates a significant amout of debate weakness to constantly try to apply Rush to an answer you don't like.  It's kinda like Tee's claming racism, where none exists in the conversation
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »
<<It's kinda like Tee's claming racism, where none exists in the conversation>>

LOL - - Gotta learn to be more like sirs - - just pretend it doesn't exist. 

When I claim racism, sirs, it's for a damned good reason.  Even when you like to pretend it's not there.  Especially when you like to pretend it's not there.