Author Topic: Romney, Clinton health care plans similar: experts  (Read 1430 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Romney, Clinton health care plans similar: experts
« on: October 05, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »
Romney, Clinton health care plans similar: experts
Fri Oct 5, 2007 8:52am EDT
By Jason Szep

BOSTON (Reuters) - When it comes to health care, Republican Mitt Romney loves to take swipes at Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.

He calls Clinton's plan, which would require every American to have health insurance, "European-style socialized medicine" and derides it as inspired by "European bureaucracies."

Romney is quick to remind supporters of the U.S. senator from New York's dramatic 1993 failure to reform U.S. health care, which many Americans felt overstepped the role of first lady.

Despite all that, experts say Clinton's plan borrows heavily from one Romney signed into law when he was governor of Massachusetts, which made the liberal state the first in the United States with near-universal health insurance.

That similarity could be fodder for Romney's rivals vying to be the 2008 Republican presidential nominee.

"Hillary's plan is just like the Massachusetts plan. There's not a whole lot of difference," said Jonathan Gruber, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology economics professor who was an adviser to Romney on the state's health care reform law.

Like Clinton's plan, the law Romney signed in April 2006 is underpinned by an "individual mandate" compelling people to buy health insurance. Both plans entail subsidies and government regulations. For those in Massachusetts earning less than the federal poverty level of $9,800, free coverage is provided.

Though it was his crowning achievement as governor, Romney has distanced himself from aspects of the law that offend his party's conservative base, including the extent of the government's role. He has proposed a plan that includes federal tax breaks and incentives to states to help the 47 million uninsured Americans afford coverage.

"What works in Massachusetts may not work in Texas," Romney said at a campaign stop in Salt Lake City, Utah.

And he wrote recently in The Wall Street Journal, "As governor of Massachusetts, I led the fight for reforms that used free markets and innovation, rather than big-government control, to lower health care costs and cover the uninsured."

RISING COSTS

But health policy experts and independent political analysts dispute that characterization and say Massachusetts' health care costs rose after the law was introduced.

"The plan is much more expensive than it was originally expected. If you have a lot of government mandates, it pushes up the cost," said Sally Pipes, president Pacific Research Institute, a think tank that promotes free-market policies.

State government spending on health care from 2001 to 2007 rose 25 percent in real terms, according to a June report by the New England Healthcare Institute.

The Massachusetts health care law created a new government entity, the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector Authority, to offer subsidized and unsubsidized polices.

"It could wind up being a point of contention between Rudy Giuliani and Romney in the sense that Giuliani has taken a very different approach to health care, nothing that smacks of government mandates," said Dante Scala, a University of New Hampshire political scientist.

"Republican primary voters tend to shy away from anything smacking of government mandates."

Giuliani, a former New York mayor, leads Romney in national polls, but trails Romney in the early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire.

Julian Zelizer, a history and public affairs professor at Princeton University, said although Romney's health care law could hurt him with conservatives crucial in the party's nominating process, it could help him in a general election.

"He has to be careful not to distance himself too much from his own accomplishments," he said.

(To read more about the U.S. political campaign, visit Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/)

? Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Romney, Clinton health care plans similar: experts
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:54:58 PM »
Probably one of the reasons I wouldn't be voting for Romney
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:02:03 PM »
It is not a question of whether we Americans prefer to have our healthcare treated by a European style bureaucracy or a rough and ready American can-do atitude. This is not the choice.

The choice is between a professional bureaucracy, or a hundred or more for-profit moneygrubbing little HMO bureaucracies.

There are many admirable things about the Europeans. They are healthier than we are. They pay far less to stay healthy than we do. And they mostly outlive us.

Their cities are far easier to get around in than most of ours, and seem less polluted, too. Their medicines are far cheaper than ours. We don't have to become Europeans to learn from them.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 09:09:03 PM »

I'm curious Sirs - if Romney wins the Republican primary who will you vote for? Is there a Dem you would consider? If so, whom? Or would you vote third party?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 02:11:06 AM »
"It is not a question of whether we Americans prefer to have our healthcare treated by a European style bureaucracy or a rough and ready American can-do atitude. This is not the choice.

The choice is between a professional bureaucracy, or a hundred or more for-profit moneygrubbing little HMO bureaucracies."

As a Civil servnt myself , I would definately choose the money grubbing little bureaucracies over the empire building giant version.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 02:19:05 AM »

I'm curious Sirs - if Romney wins the Republican primary who will you vote for?

Good question, to which I don't have an answer currently

Is there a Dem you would consider? If so, whom?

Not any running currently.  Anything I might discount with Romney is threefold worse with pretty much all the current crop of Dem candidates

Or would you vote third party?

Again, that's a hard question, since I'd need to know who the 3rd party candidate is.  During the last election for Governer, here in CA, I did vote for McClintock
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 08:51:59 PM »

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 07:34:41 PM »
As a Civil servnt myself , I would definately choose the money grubbing little bureaucracies over the empire building giant version.

As a responsibility advocating consumer, I would definately choose the above as well, noting how it's the Fed that'd be the "giant version" in this whole scenario

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 09:26:07 PM »
Use Social Security as an example of a bureaucracy. I could get MANY TIMES the return from my SS funds from just conservatives investments than what they will give me via their SS return. Not even close, my friends.