Author Topic: Fine......just as long as we don't have to also pay for it  (Read 608 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fine......just as long as we don't have to also pay for it
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
Schumer: Health care foes should forego coverage

New York Senator Chuck Schumer is pushing Republican members of Congress who oppose last year's health care legislation to decline health coverage for themselves and their families.

Democrats have been trying to cast Republican members' acceptance of federal health benefits as hypocritical, as they seek to repeal last year's health care legislation, and got a boost this morning from Rep.-elect Joe Walsh, an Illinois Freshman who told CNN this morning that he's keeping a promise not to accept health care benefits, despite his wife's pre-existing condition.

"It was a central value to us when we passed health care, and a central value to the American people, that members of Congress should get the same health care as eveyrone else," Schumer told POLITICO this morning. "It seems unfair that house Republicans want to deprive middle-class Americans of the same health care as members of Congress but to keep it for themselves."

(sirs inquires, it was my recollection that the members of Congress have a "higher tier" of coverage under Obamacare.  Is this an incorrect recollection?)

"Will Eric Cantor urge every Republican who is going to be for repeal to not take government health care themselves and to drop their existing health care?" he asked.

Schumer called Walsh "a very good example."

"i don't agree with his views on health care, but at least he is being fair and consistent ," he said, adding that Walsh is evidently "not schooled in the ways of Washington.

A spokesman for Speaker John Boehner, Michael Steel, dismissed Schumer's call.

"This is 'junk food' political rhetoric: superficially appealing, but utterly empty. Members of Congress, including Sen. Schumer, get the same type of employer-sponsored health care coverage from private-sector companies as tens of millions of Americans. That has nothing to do with the Democrats' health care law, which is already destroying jobs, and will ultimately bankrupt our country," he said.

Walsh declined, in the CNN interview, to suggest his colleagues are hypocrites. His own decision appears to be independent of his opposition to the new federal law.

"This is my decision," he said. "I believe there are a couple of other freshman that feel the same way. i feel I was sent to Washington to be something different."

UPDATE: Cantor spokesman Brad Dayspring emails:

?This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of health care in America, which isn?t shocking from people like Senator Schumer who are responsible for the ObamaCare disaster. But if Senator Schumer wants to operate in the world of the illogical, we assume that he, Leader Reid, and Rep. Pelosi will be giving up their own health care since it doesn?t include the public option. We also assume that all three will refuse to accept the extension of current tax rates and volunteer to pay higher taxes for the next two years.?

Article
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: Fine......just as long as we don't have to also pay for it
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
what a joke....
republicans dont oppose healthcare....they oppose ObamaCare
why doesn't Schumer if he believes in ObamaCare decline his healthcare & go on ObamaCare?
because he knows it sucks....
just like the Liberals that oppose school vouchers, but then send their kids to private school
but if I was an elected Republican just to call this frauds bluff I would buy my own healthcare.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:33:48 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
So true.....on each and every level you've opined on, C

----------------------------------------------------------

And to add, with the amount of money current DC congresscritters make, it would be a great display if at the 1st implimentation of Cash for Croakers upon DC politicians, that Republicans forgoe coverage, and purchase their own.  Of course, then they'd be paying double, Obamacare and their personal care, but would be a symbolic effort, that could largely play huge dividends in the electorate, as they work on defunding 1st Obamacare, then to repeal it, come 2012, when President Christie is sworn into office     ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:52:25 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
US House Republicans move to repeal Obama healthcare

WASHINGTON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives plan to pass a bill next week to repeal President Barack Obama's overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system, a senior party aide said on Monday, but the effort is widely expected to fail in the Senate.

The new Congress will convene on Wednesday with Republicans in control of the House after November's midterm elections. They are set to move ahead with their campaign promise to try to rescind the new healthcare law, one of Obama's signature legislative victories.

Brad Dayspring, a spokesman for incoming House Republican leader Eric Cantor, said the House plans to vote on legislation to repeal the healthcare law on Jan. 12.

"It will pass the House," Dayspring said.

Although Republicans will control the House, 242-193, Obama's Democrats retain control of the Senate by 53-47 and are likely to block any repeal of the healthcare law.

"Obamacare is a job killer for businesses small and large, and the top priority for House Republicans is going to be to cut spending and grow the economy and jobs," Dayspring said.

Republicans, particularly from the fiscally conservative wing, were emboldened to attack the healthcare reform after a good showing in November's elections.

Among other provisions, the healthcare reform extends healthcare insurance to millions of Americans without coverage, but opinion polls show voters are split over it. The reform has become a favorite target for Republicans who say it is an excessive reach by the federal government.

Even if repeal fails, Republicans will yield considerable sway over the government purse strings and try to use that power to deny the Obama administration's requests on financing to implement the new healthcare law, a signature achievement.

Dayspring said the House will hold a procedural vote on Friday in preparation for the Jan. 12 vote.

Purely symbolic, at this point

bsb

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
I don't know what all these fanatical, ratwing, bigoted, homophobic, anti-immigrant, Pea-Brain Party, christian, anti-muslim,
birthers are crying about? The new healthcare hasn't altered my coverage one bit and I'm happy that its covering more people then were covered pre-Obamacare. Need another $50 to $100 a month from me to give the uninsured even better coverage? Take it.

Bless America and all of its citizens.

bsb

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
Don't hold back B...tell us how you really feel       ;)