Author Topic: Betcha your workplace isn't this bad.  (Read 1704 times)

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Betcha your workplace isn't this bad.
« on: March 04, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »
Two months ago my wife got her boss fired for threatening her - after almost five years of working with him on the edge.  He was once actually taken out of the office in handcuffs for beating up his teenaged daughter.  My wife is known well up the chain of command in her company as a superstar.  So after all of these years, when he made a threat in front of witnesses, he was gone.  It got ugly enough that they got a court order barring him from coming near the place.

Now a little over a year ago a man walked into a rival company situated four doors down in the same complex and shot two of the workers to death.  Several of the workers in that office ran into my wife's office.  We were actually prevented from entering the grounds when we go there.  But her boss and a driver coworker who had previously worked at the rival company watched the police drag the boidies past their door as they tried to subdue the suspect.  (He shot himself to death.)

When my wife's boss was fired, a new guy came on from one of their stores in another part of the state.  In return, the sales rep from Val's office was sent to that store.  It was nice, because she was NOT fitting in well with the other workers at Val's office.  The new manager seemed pretty cool.  So everyone was getting a clean slate and a fresh start.

Well Last Friday (Feb 23) the sales rep lost her job at the other store.  She just couldn't cut it there either.  Not so good.

On Monday, the new manager gathered the office together and informed them that the Sales Rep had broken into her ex-husband's house over the weekend, broken into his gun cabinet and killed herself.  Her 12 YO daughter was the first to find the body. 

On Wednesday a patient with mental problems who had been stalking the driver who used to belong to the rival company (are ya following this?) actually chased her down the interstate and ended up getting chased down and arrested by the cops.  He was charged with DUI and diriving on a revoked license.  The stalking charges are pending.

And to top it off, the new manager suddenly got into some kind of insanity attack (possibly prompted by dealing with a coworker's suicide and a stalker after another of his employees) and started channeling the spirit of the previous boss for no apparent reason.  The office has been a nightmare.  Everyone has been scared to cross the boss, scared of the ex-boss going nuts on them. scared of the stalker walking in and shooting them and scared of losing their jobs!! 

Fortunately, on Friday the boss apologized and things got a little less tense, but my wife is polishing her resume.  It's a crazy world.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 05:27:06 PM by Plane »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Betcha your workplace isn't this bad.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:06:56 PM »
Pooch, yeah, have her look into some of Plane's government jobs, they look great.

And on a lighter (but semi-serious note) is her office complex on some old Indian burial ground? Is it, perhaps, on a mound (like the Moundbuilders used, the Indians that were/are in this area)?   
Is there very frequent application or spraying of pest control stuff? I know people whose neuro symptoms (Parkinson's, etc. ) are made much worse whenever the exterminator comes to their apt. building.  Is the office on a reclaimed landfill? 
Go to http://www.scorecard.org   ( i think) and type in that area's zip code, see what's in the air, water, and land.  I'm not sure what industry/type of company she's in, but are their hazards involved with that type of place, like chemicals involved? 

Many prayers for you. I'll tell Terra, and she'll send some too.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »
Lanya, I swear I think the place is cursed.  The office next store had a lady die in a car crash a few months ago.  I was wondering what odd juxtaposition of the stars was going on.  Maybe there is an old Indian burial ground.  Weird stuff!
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

The_Professor

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 11:18:58 PM »
I wouldn't have stayed this long so your wife definitely is persistent.

I know Plane believes in Government jobs but I have been there. I was a GS-15 in the Federal Government and I can tell you that most of the folks there were either incompetent and/or lazy. Few could command their salary in the private sector. I hear similar comments from my studnets who work here at the local AF Base. Government work can indeed be boring boring boring. I was so bored I quit and have never looked back. Yes, you get job security and good benefits but, in my experience, not much else. Mental stimulation, nyet. Challening work, nyet. Of course, this is only my experience.

Has she contacted a local Headhunter?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:45:42 PM »
Pooch, here's something that might take your wife's mind off the stress.  For a minute...;)

http://www.quiltsofgeesbend.com/history/

http://www.quiltsofgeesbend.com/quilts/

These are like modern art, very beautiful.  I just heard about it from a friend in Florida who said if a show comes to Ohio, not to miss it.

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.