Author Topic: Stupid things liberals say:  (Read 5105 times)

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stupid things liberals say:
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Keith Olbermann on MSNBC teasing a story about a Tea Party Candidate who (apparently) claims to have discovered the Ark of the Covenant in Arizona. "I hope all of the animals have their papers." Way to make yourself look even more stupid than the guy you are making fun of, Keith. Hint, if you can't read the Bible, at least watch Indiana Jones.

For those in the saloon who may not be Bible literate, the "Ark" - as in Noah's - was a big ol' boat.  The "Ark of the Covenant" was a big ol' box.  Contained the Ten Commandments, Moses's brazen serpent and some other souvenirs of the Exodus.  Covered with Cherubim, but no animals.  Two different things. 

If the guy claims to have found the Ark of the Covenant, he's bonkers (at least I ASSUME he is).  But at least he isn't illiterate.  Not to change religious references, but Instant Karma done gotcha, Keith.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Stupid things liberals say:
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
Oh ...my irony hurts!

Of course the Ark of Noah is in Turkey and the Ark of the Covenant is in Ethiopia.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/ethiopia/axum-ark-of-covenant

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/noah's_ark.htm

This looks like some sort of distortion , but getting the story straight is pretty rare the first try.

http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/atheistnews/forum/topics/tea-party-candidate-is-the?commentId=2182797%3AComment%3A834709&xg_source=activity&groupId=2182797%3AGroup%3A3247

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »
Oh ho!

The best of these tidbits are the testimony of a soon to be ex in divorce court!

In the divorce case, Anne D'Annunzio said her husband had told her that "God was going to drop a 1,000-mile high pyramid" on Greenland, and also that he had found the Ark of the Covenant in Arizona, among other unusual beliefs.

But he seems to think that Christ is guidance and that
the government could do with some shrinking.

D'Annunzio says his personal problems are in all in the past. But the Born Again candidate still has some pretty extreme political ideas. On a blog he writes, entitled "Christ's War," D'Annunzio declared earlier this year that he wanted to "abolish the Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, Agriculture, Energy, Labor, Housing and Urban Development, Interior, Transportation, Treasury, and Home Land Security," and the IRS, as well as "any appellate court that has shown an anti Constitutional activism." He also advocated giving control of Social Security and Medicare to the states.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/gopers_try_to_derail_tea_party_favorite.php

Thanks Pooch this is interesting.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:11:41 PM »
Please.  I heard dumber stuff from Sarah Palin every time she opened her mouth.  And don't let me get started on Dubya.

But if you want to pretend that liberals have a monopoly on saying stupid things, I'm down widdat.  Whatever rocks yer boat.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Please.  I heard dumber stuff from Sarah Palin every time she opened her mouth. 

How long will it take you to produce an example?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »
<<How long will it take you to produce an example?>>

Well, I don't have the exact quote, but the one where she explains in response to a third-grader's question (what does the Vice-President do?) that the VP is in charge of the Senate.  The one where in response to Katie Couric's question, what magazines or newspapers does she read, she says "All of them, any of them" and despite being given several opportunities, can't name one of them.

The problem with Palin is that there have been so many parodies done of her stupidity that it's very hard now to separate what was her genuine original stupidity from the many parodies of it.  For example, she did not REALLY author a book entitled "Why Me Not President?" but it's so funny to think that she did that I am sure there are people who believe that it's a real book by her.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »
<<How long will it take you to produce an example?>>

Well, I don't have the exact quote, but the one where she explains in response to a third-grader's question (what does the Vice-President do?) that the VP is in charge of the Senate.  The one where in response to Katie Couric's question, what magazines or newspapers does she read, she says "All of them, any of them" and despite being given several opportunities, can't name one of them.

The problem with Palin is that there have been so many parodies done of her stupidity that it's very hard now to separate what was her genuine original stupidity from the many parodies of it.  For example, she did not REALLY author a book entitled "Why Me Not President?" but it's so funny to think that she did that I am sure there are people who believe that it's a real book by her.

And that isn't your problem?

By the way the Vice President has one single constitutional duty , to preside over the Senate and provide a vote only as a tiebreaker.

I note that in the only real example you have provided so far, Sara Palin is better breifed than you are.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
I didn't give you the full Sarah Palin quote. 

<<"[T]hey're in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom." >>

They're not "in charge of it" and they don't "really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes."  She is certainly not better informed than I am about anything, although she might have a better knowledge of the streets of Wasilla than I do.  If you really want to know who presides over the U.S. Senate in REAL LIFE (aaaaaarghh!!  Real Life is to a conservative what garlic is to vampires) then you should look it up in Wikipedia:

<<Since the 1950s, vice presidents have presided over few Senate debates. Instead, they have usually presided only on ceremonial occasions, such as joint sessions, or at times when a tie vote on an important issue is anticipated. The Constitution authorizes the Senate to elect a president pro tempore (Latin for "president for a time") to preside in the vice president's absence; the most senior senator of the majority party is customarily chosen to serve in this position. Like the vice president, the president pro tempore does not normally preside over the Senate, but typically delegates the responsibility of presiding to junior senators of the majority party, usually in blocks of one hour on a rotating basis. Frequently, freshmen senators (newly elected members) are asked to preside so that they may become accustomed to the rules and procedures of the body.>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 11:36:16 PM »
  It may have been more accurate for her to tell that second grader that no one takes the vice president seriously , that most vice presidents rode through their terms like the spare tire that never comes out of the trunk.

You would do that to a second grader?

Vice President Cheny was a get in there and stir type of Veep , Biden is prone to stand out and speak. Mondale and Gore took responsibility more. Should the prospective first distaff Veep express no ambition to continue the mission creep?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:38 AM »
She didn't have a clue what the Veep did and her answer showed it.  Your rationalizations notwithstanding.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 03:47:04 AM »
She didn't have a clue what the Veep did and her answer showed it.  Your rationalizations notwithstanding.

What she was ,was absolutely correct .That you do not understand isn't proof that a statement is wrong , it is more like proof that she is more sophisticated (in a statement twards a second grader!)than you are able to follow.

Allow me to review, a vice president has only one constitutional duty and one constitutional power , it is a minor power and a lowly duty but it includes a share of the bully pulpit.

So word for word what she said was true and reveiling of her intent for being an involved Veep in the model of VP Gore.

Sad that you really cannot pick her out of a line up with stand up comedians who made a fortune mocking her, yet you feel qualified to psycoanalise and diagnose her.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:29:19 AM by Plane »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:24:55 AM »
D'oh       8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »
<<Sad that you really cannot pick her out of a line up with stand up comedians who made a fortune mocking her, yet you feel qualified to psycoanalise and diagnose her.>>

She's a fucking idiot and everything she said confirms it.  No "psychoanalysis" necessary.  

Your rationalization of her idiotic statements is comical.  The VP is NOT in real life "in charge of the U.S. Senate" and does NOT "get in there with the Senators and make a lot of good policy changes."  Period.  If you want to believe that she was just informing the second-graders of the technical duties laid out in the U.S. Constitution for the VP, rather than answering their simple question, "What does the VP do?" then I and millions of others simply don't buy it. Most individuals have the common sense to realize that it is what it appears to be:  sheer damn stupidity.  Otherwise those comics wouldn't be able to "make millions" by ridiculing her stupid remarks, because their audiences would sit there befuddled, wondering what was the joke?  Seems like everyone gets it but you.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 02:21:45 AM »
<<Sad that you really cannot pick her out of a line up with stand up comedians who made a fortune mocking her, yet you feel qualified to psycoanalise and diagnose her.>>

She's a fucking idiot and everything she said confirms it.  No "psychoanalysis" necessary.  

Your rationalization of her idiotic statements is comical.  The VP is NOT in real life "in charge of the U.S. Senate" and does NOT "get in there with the Senators and make a lot of good policy changes."  Period.  If you want to believe that she was just informing the second-graders of the technical duties laid out in the U.S. Constitution for the VP, rather than answering their simple question, "What does the VP do?" then I and millions of others simply don't buy it. Most individuals have the common sense to realize that it is what it appears to be:  sheer damn stupidity.  Otherwise those comics wouldn't be able to "make millions" by ridiculing her stupid remarks, because their audiences would sit there befuddled, wondering what was the joke?  Seems like everyone gets it but you.

Yet in the instance you chose she is correct and you are incorrect.

Please don't cal her an idiot , at least not while you are comeing in second to her.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
<<Yet in the instance you chose she is correct and you are incorrect.>>

She's correct when asked "What does the VP do?" to tell a second-grader that they're "in charge of the Senate" when in real life they are not?  By that standard, I'd have been correct if the kid asked me what I did, and I'd told her that I was an astronaut.

Looks like you and I have different definitions of "correct," plane - - I think when asked what a VP does, it's correct to tell the questioner what the VP does, and OTOH, you seem to think that the correct answer is to tell the questioner that the VP does what in fact they do not do.  It's a pretty clear conflict, you with your idea of "correct" and me with mine.  Guess we just have to agree to disagree on this, plane.

<<Please don't cal her an idiot . . . >>

Since most people understand what the correct answer to the question should have been, I'll continue to call her an idiot because that's what she is - - a fucking idiot.  And THAT'S putting it kindly. 

<< . . . at least not while you are comeing in second to her.>>

I suppose that in the eyes of someone who thinks that the correct answer to "What does X do" is to tell a kid something that X doesn't do, that "coming in second" probably means "coming in first" in the real world.   Moving from the general to the particular, I see that when the subject is Sarah Palin, my conclusion as to the meaning of "coming in second"  adjusted from your view of reality to the real world was in fact correct.

BTW, in researching the answers to some of your excellent questions, I found the following site which might interest you and your fellow right-wingers:  Top Ten Dumbest Sarah Palin Quotes, although I have no doubt that you and your RW pals will have no difficulty at all in rationalizing that each and every one of the ten Palin quotes is, in fact, a pearl of the purest wisdom.  Good luck in your endeavours.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palin-top-10.htm