Author Topic: Officially Endorsing the Times's Approach, on These Terms  (Read 988 times)

gipper

Officially Endorsing the Times's Approach, on These Terms
« on: July 28, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »
I have recently voiced strong reservations about what seems to be emanating from some a helter-skelter, willy-nilly approach to Iraq disengagement: withdraw now and let the chips fall where they may. In the center are progressively more nuanced positions, and on the cautious side are those like me who insist on appraisal and preparation for three interrelated events bound to occur in one fashion or another, or seriously threaten to occur: 1) a more virulent civil war, claiming more lives, which could quite plausibly degenerate into a full-out genocide; 2) a failed state with many wild pockets emerging where terrorist retrenchment could occur in newly-minted safe havens; 3) a wider regional conflict as the dynamics of the Iraq situation, perhaps especially the two just aforementioned, overflow its borders and impact surrounding states in ways that threaten their national or expansionist interests.

In an editorial this week denouncing President Bush's latest call for US combat in IRaq into 2009, the New York Times instead endorsed a "responsible withdrawal (or redeployment)" to begin now. As phrased, despite the vagueness, I tentatively endorse that approach in turn, seeing it as embracing the concerns I have consistently raised. "Responsible," at a minimum, means not leaving the Iraqi people drenched in blood as a consequence of a venture that we undertook and an aftermath we failed to control.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Officially Endorsing the Times's Approach, on These Terms
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 08:02:47 PM »
I would not endorse the times approach.

I would endorse a movement to allow the surge more time to work.

The newly elected president takes office in 2009.  They can do what they wish then.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:37:06 PM »
I would endorse a movement to allow the surge more time to work.

agreed

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cba_1185637610
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 11:43:16 PM »
It's up to the Iraqis.  If they want to roll over for the rape of their natural resources, they'll allow the surge to work.  If they want to fight for what's theirs, they won't.  Either way, the U.S. is fucked.  They're on the way out.  They're the Weimar Republic of the 21st Century.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 12:35:46 AM »
You keep mentioning this rape of their natural resources as if this was fact.

The agreement for hyrocarbons is hung up on distribution of revenues.

Without the US only one sect will control the revenues, eventually.