Author Topic: Shhhhhhh....  (Read 4181 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shhhhhhh....
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:32:08 AM »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Shhhhhhh....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
..............whatever you do, don't look at the economy, or the rising poll #'s for both Bush & the surge.  Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:51:13 PM »
With respect to both H and Sirs, let's take a middle ground here and see how this turns out. Let's monitor it closely and see the effects of this new legislation before we get our panties in an uproar.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:51:09 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:21 PM »
And I'm sure H will be able to demonstrate precisely where our Judicial system has repetatively struck down these apparent overt unconstitutional actions, by Bush Co.

Right?

Buellor?

Buellor?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:04:50 PM »
<<With respect to both H and Sirs, let's take a middle ground here and see how this turns out. Let's monitor it closely and see the effects of this new legislation before we get our panties in an uproar.>>

Same remarks could have been made about each new piece of Nazi legislation in 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936 . . . etc.  They don't just make a noose, pull it over your head and yank the cord all at the same time.  They install a program, one piece at a time, and then, when it's all ready, it's just too late.  The time to get your panties in an uproar, Professor, is right now.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 08:09:46 PM »
I am not convinced it is a real problem as you seem to think it is, MT.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 10:57:01 AM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 11:31:21 AM »
The economy? Have you been paying attention to the housing bubble?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 11:55:17 AM »
JS, the housing bubble has been coming on for some time. Housing is still too inflated, as an example. Lenders have been lending to anyone who breathed. I would say this is highly unfortunate but not unexpected. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long. In fact, you could easily argue that real estate itself is still too high and could stand an adjustment. And, before you mention Detroit, that TOO has been a debacle soon to happen.And American automobile makers STILL aren't addressing the real issue and that is changing the way they do business. Just shutting plants won't solve their major problem.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:06:31 PM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
Oh I agree Professor, and I wouldn't blame Bush or Congress for it at all. I was just pointing out that the economy isn't exactly booming right now (contrary to Sirs statement).

I think the housing bubble has yet to burst, it is giving much more warning than the dot-coms did. If you search hard you can still find some articles urging people to invest in some expensive stock not long before the dot-com collapse. Some of that stock is still around today but has lost around 70 to 90% of its value at that time!

And I wasn't going to mention Detroit, I tend to agree with you there as well. GM is on their way, I think. Ford - I suppose...well, I really don't know. I'm not sure if Bill Ford is just that bad a manager or what. They were on top of the world in 1999 and just fell off a cliff since then.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
The economy? Have you been paying attention to the housing bubble?

Yea.....and?  A "bubble" negates every other frellin indicator that demonstrates how excellent the economy is running?  Have you been paying attention to the stock market, unemployment, consumer confidence, etc., etc., etc. Js??  "Booming", not quite, nor what I claimed.  VERY Positive?, absofrellinloutely     ::)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:20:02 PM by sirs »

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 04:00:20 PM »
Have you been paying attention to the stock market, unemployment, consumer confidence, etc., etc., etc. Js??

Yes, I have. I have a feeling that you either have not, or you only have through the eyes of partisan hacks.

VERY Positive?

Mixed, would be a better adjective.

A "bubble" is not an indicator, by the way, it is when intrinsic value is far outweighed by the variance in actual trading values. Typically it takes quite a few indicators to point to a true economic bubble. (For example, House Price Index, Housing Starts, Mortgage Applications, Residential Construction, etc. in this case).

Another very interesting and perhaps more destructive economic bubble that may be on the horizon is the credit lending bubble, which is partly associated with the housing bubble (and they may well collapse together). Subprime and high risk lending is already beginning to worry some and hedge funds are amongst the biggest backers of levereged loans. Credit quality and lending requirements are deteriorating in the corporate world. It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues, even amongst the financial institutions that are beginning to tighten credit lines with riskier individuals.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »
Have you been paying attention to the stock market, unemployment, consumer confidence, etc., etc., etc. Js??

Yes, I have. I have a feeling that you either have not, or you only have through the eyes of partisan hacks.

Then your "feeling" is obviously flawed

VERY Positive?

Mixed, would be a better adjective.

Of course, since anything postive would be a postive for Bush.  So, in the midst of ever increasing positives in both the economy and the Iraqi surge, must either keep it quiet in the media, or consider it "mixed", that way we can keep bashing Bush on how terrible a President he's supposed to be     ::)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 05:01:26 PM »
Of course, since anything postive would be a postive for Bush.  So, in the midst of ever increasing positives in both the economy and the Iraqi surge, must either keep it quiet in the media, or consider it "mixed", that way we can keep bashing Bush on how terrible a President he's supposed to be     ::)

Why is it that you think the universe revolves around President Bush? You voted for him and your defensive about it. I got it Sirs. If we didn't understand it the first six dozen times, I think we all understand it by now.

As I noted to the Professor, none of this really concerns Bush. At least with these particular economic bubbles he hasn't done anything that wasn't already policy when he took office.

The economic indicators are mixed. It is a simple point of fact Sirs. It doesn't have anything to do with Bush because for most practical purposes he hasn't done much to influence them. The public sector has grown slightly larger and defense grants have increased, but that's about the extent of it. I'd say the most significant impact of this administration has been in the policy of the weak dollar, but I have a feeling that there's no sense discussing the pros and cons of that with you. Not unless you are willing to take off the "defend Bush at all cost" armor for a few minutes.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster