Author Topic: Another stupid licensing law used to punish someone not doing anything wrong  (Read 2837 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Seems unlikely that this woman was intentionally flouting the law or operateing in bad faith.

If this woman looses her case and draws a ruinous penalty , could that cool business for e-Bay?

E-bay has a dog in this fight , they ought to provide their own lawyer to help defend this customer and use what clout they have to get this law amended , if they don't this case could become famous and reduce the e-bay sellers pool.

yellow_crane

Seems unlikely that this woman was intentionally flouting the law or operateing in bad faith.

If this woman looses her case and draws a ruinous penalty , could that cool business for e-Bay?

E-bay has a dog in this fight , they ought to provide their own lawyer to help defend this customer and use what clout they have to get this law amended , if they don't this case could become famous and reduce the e-bay sellers pool.

And if the e-bay sellers pool is reduced, who stands to gain?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
isn`t the rub the fact since she was informed she stopped.
the info given so far seems to point she was not knowing going against the law.
if anything she should of been given a warning and stop till she got a licence.
is there information I`m missing?
it just look like the state is looking for money that doesn`t exist

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Your question has me stumped.

Seems like a loss for anyone involved with e-bay, and a win nowhere.

yellow_crane

Your question has me stumped.

Seems like a loss for anyone involved with e-bay, and a win nowhere.

The smaller the pool, the more customers set free to purchase elsewhere.

Would you think that many corporations, oh hell, just say companies, would find e-bay a place of competition?

In most towns in America, you find a thrift shop.  The stipulation for a thrift shop to get a license is that it must be controlled by a non-profit organization, which means people like Salvation Army and the other ones, many Catholic.

Try to get a license for a thrift shop without one, though.  It is possible, but it would take first-cousin clout.

A local county commissioner I asked looked at me like I was, to borrow a Rich term, manic; "hell, these business people in this town are my friends.   I go to church with many of them."

See, no bargain stores, or they might compete with other businesses.

Especially now since those various dollar stores, which are big corporations, and who have NO trouble getting the permits, are all over your little town.

That money goes out of town and overseas to China, and the locals get the four  minimum wage jobs.  That is what Republicans can 'growing jobs.'

I think there are a lot of business people who would like to see e-bay gone.  Every time somebody buys a used goodie on e-bay, a local business gets to keep the new one on the shelf.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:

"Set free"?

eBay chains them to their computer desks?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
not sure about that
most stuff I find in ebay is simply not sold locally
ex. I buy part stuff from ebay for my axim.because dell doesn`t sell them any more.
I buy rare books on ebay because most stores in my area just don`t have them.
it`s not really much of a competition
new items sold on ebay that I find are not even that much cheaper
sometime more expensive

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
In most towns in America, you find a thrift shop.  The stipulation for a thrift shop to get a license is that it must be controlled by a non-profit organization, which means people like Salvation Army and the other ones, many Catholic.

Must be a Wisconsin thing. Lots of "non-profit" thrift stores in Minnesota, Maryland, and North Carolina.

Hint: They're usually called "consignment shops" when they're not run by non-profits.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

yellow_crane

"Set free"?

Errrr . . . you are attacking the metaphor.

If I change the metaphor, back to square one.

Deny that many businesses would like to see e-bay shitcanned.

yellow_crane

Must be a Wisconsin thing. Lots of "non-profit" thrift stores in Minnesota, Maryland, and North Carolina.

Hint: They're usually called "consignment shops" when they're not run by non-profits.

It does run different state to state.

I imagine Florida is one of the worst.  Everybody knows that Florida is the premiere corporate state, and the worst in the country to start a new business.

Texas would be my guess as best. 

People who license these kinds of stores make it hard to happen, because they are listening to the bitchings of established stores.    "Consignment shops" usually only sell women's and children's clothes.  Even hardened county commissioners know better than to piss off Aunt Bee.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
People who license these kinds of stores make it hard to happen, because they are listening to the bitchings of established stores.    "Consignment shops" usually only sell women's and children's clothes.  Even hardened county commissioners know better than to piss off Aunt Bee.

I see. "It runs the way I say it does, except where it doesn't."

No, actually, the law is Federal in nature. A thrift store accepts donations that are tax deductible; therefore, the group running the store must be eligible to accept tax deductible donations. Those groups that run stores that sell items specifically for a profit, run "consignment shops," which, contrary to your statement, sell everything and anything that is salable.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

"Set free"?

Errrr . . . you are attacking the metaphor.

If I change the metaphor, back to square one.

Deny that many businesses would like to see e-bay shitcanned.

Interesting in concept , but e-bay has many regular stores represented as sellers , pawn shop owners very commonly sell just a much throgh e-bay as they do thru their shop.

Around here there are Salvation Army and Goodwill stores , which always seem to be busy , pawn shops which also always seem busy.

I think that perhaps Wall Mart  harms these businesses by offerin lots of new stuff at rather low prices.

But the music stores , the camera stores , antique stores etc, don't try to beat them, they join them and sell on e-bay.