Author Topic: healthcare  (Read 3143 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
healthcare
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: healthcare
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
Wow!

Very thought provoking, but is it too late to point these things out?

The Affordable health care act is law and its effect will be to reinforce "distortion" in pricing.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:46:07 AM »
Yep.....we're screwed
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
There is no reason that the law cannot REQUIRE costs to be posted online.

Insurance companies and patients alike would benefit.

Step one is to get everyone healthcare.

Step two is to work on making it affordable and efficient.

Step one has to come first.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
There is no reason that the law cannot REQUIRE costs to be posted online.

Insurance companies and patients alike would benefit.

Step one is to get everyone healthcare.

Step two is to work on making it affordable and efficient.

Step one has to come first.

When is step one ever going to happen?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
2014, according to the law that was passed and will not be rescinded, because Romney was defeated.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
2014, according to the law that was passed and will not be rescinded, because Romney was defeated.

Error error.....

The affordable health care act does not cover everyone , it doesn't even increase coverage by 20%.

You should have been listening when Nancy Pelosi explained this, first you get the law enacted , then you find out what is in it.

Persons who have insurance now will mostly be payig more for it, persons useing medicare will see little change except that medicare will refuse more payments to providers, and persons who are unemployed will see no change at all in their non-coverage.

People who have little or no insurance now , but who do have a job are going to be the most affected.

They must buy insurance , or pay a fine tax for not , for cases on the margin of profitability this will mean a few will loose their jobs.

The bit I like is that I have children between 18 and 26 who are grandfathered in and covered.

Lets keep that one, but why 26? I would cover them till I retire if I were allowed.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Brilliant read

Implementation of Obamacare a prelude to government-run health care

Health insurance will soon be extinct. Unlike other members of the species – property and casualty insurance, life insurance, liability insurance, auto insurance – political predators have been steadily killing off health insurance over the years. Soon it will cease to exist, allowing for more intrusive regulation of behavior.

Insurance is designed to protect against unforeseen costly events. The primary role of insurance companies in the economic ecosystem is risk assessment. In a way, insurance companies get paid to discriminate. Say you want to build a house in an area known for landslides, and you want to buy insurance for that house. If the insurance company assesses a very high likelihood of your house sliding down the hill, it will charge a very high premium for the insurance, or it might refuse to insure your house. Similarly, a malpractice insurance company would be expected to charge very high premiums to such a doctor who has had an extraordinary amount of lawsuits for malpractice and bad outcomes. It may even deny coverage.

Insurers create "risk pools" by gathering the money of various participants in a way that puts enough money in the pool for the insurance company to pay claims made by any of the risk pool members, while still leaving enough to pay to make it worthwhile to manage the system. The insurance company determines how much each risk pool participant needs to kick in based upon the likelihood of that participant making a claim on the pool. The greater the likelihood, the greater the contribution to the pool.

Insurance companies provide society a service by assessing the risks of society's choices, and creating options to mitigate those risks. As a byproduct, they steer people away from risky choices.

Beginning in 2014, under the Affordable Care Act, health insurance companies will no longer be able to deny coverage to applicants who are extremely likely to take money out of the risk pool – those with pre-existing conditions. What's more, health insurance companies will not be allowed to charge those riskier applicants any more than applicants who have little or no likelihood of taking money from the pool.

In other words, health insurance companies will no longer assess and insure against risk. They will just gather the money of plan participants and then pay all of their health care bills. Because they can no longer discriminate by risk, low-risk participants will pay much more, while high-risk participants will pay much less. Everyone pays the same ballooned premiums.

Health insurance companies that cannot discriminate based upon risk will no longer be selling health insurance. They will function more like escrow agents than health insurance companies, gathering money from plan participants and disbursing it to health care providers.

With no disincentives to risky choices by health plan participants, the door opens to more and more laws regulating personal behavior in the interest of fighting rising health care costs.

Furthermore when there is no discrimination against high-risk applicants, and such applicants cannot be denied coverage, then why pay those higher premiums for health insurance? Why not wait to get a serious and costly health problem before buying the insurance?

If auto insurance functioned under the same rules, any rational person would hold off buying auto insurance until an accident occurs – and then pick up the cellphone while still at the scene and buy the insurance.

Obamacare seeks to remedy this problem by charging a penalty tax to those who choose not to purchase this so-called health insurance. The problem is that, when fully implemented, the penalty is minimal – in many cases little more than one month's bloated premium.

The upshot of all this is that the only people who will willingly pay into the health plan will be those who need to take out from the health plan. As those taking out of the pool become an ever-increasing share of those paying into the pool, the premiums will necessarily spiral upward. The public outcry over rising premiums will lead to further regulations over the "health insurance" companies' administration and profits. Many will leave the market.

Finally, the politicians will proclaim a "market failure" in the provision of private health insurance. They will see no alternative but for the government to move in and place everyone on a taxpayer-funded, government-run health plan. And with that will come all of the inefficiencies, depersonalization, and rationing seen in similar systems around the world.

Health insurance should be placed at the top of the endangered species list.

"It's time to fundamentally change the way that we do business in Washington" .....the method to their madness

and don't get me started on their pledge for greater transparency crap

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
Wow....that commentary sure shut down this thread.  Understandibly so

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:59:07 PM »
No one buys your"bingo"moments but you, sirs.

I know that I don't.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
I'm stunned, I tell yas.......stunned that you don't agree with me.  Not to mention how wrong you are, yet again        :o

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
Go pin a  medal to yourself, sirs. Award yourself the "sirs Heroic Debating Medal.

The engraved motto is "Ingoratio ad Infinitum et Ad Nauseum". A cooked goose rampant upon a field of turd blossums.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
I kinda like "Bingo".

It's nice.

Dear Sirs, please do not neglect to "Bingo" XO whenever you get the chance.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
I kinda like "Bingo".

It's nice.

What's this?  Someone who will occasionally agree with me?  But....but....Xo clearly indicated "No one buys your"bingo"moments but you, sirs"

I guess that makes him wrong, yet again     ;)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »
I kinda like "Bingo".

It's nice.

What's this?  Someone who will occasionally agree with me?  But....but....Xo clearly indicated "No one buys your"bingo"moments but you, sirs"

I guess that makes him wrong, yet again     ;)

There has to be an opponent , be appreaciative.