Author Topic: What I Like About Scrooge : In praise of misers.  (Read 1766 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
What I Like About Scrooge : In praise of misers.
« on: December 26, 2012, 12:23:21 AM »
THE MALTHUSIAN TRAGEDY:
What I Like About Scrooge : In praise of misers. (Steven E. Landsburg, Dec. 9, 2004, Slate)

Here's what I like about Ebenezer Scrooge: His meager lodgings were dark because darkness is cheap, and barely heated because coal is not free. His dinner was gruel, which he prepared himself. Scrooge paid no man to wait on him.

Scrooge has been called ungenerous. I say that's a bum rap. What could be more generous than keeping your lamps unlit and your plate unfilled, leaving more fuel for others to burn and more food for others to eat? Who is a more benevolent neighbor than the man who employs no servants, freeing them to wait on someone else?

Oh, it might be slightly more complicated than that. Maybe when Scrooge demands less coal for his fire, less coal ends up being mined. But that's fine, too. Instead of digging coal for Scrooge, some would-be miner is now free to perform some other service for himself or someone else.

Dickens tells us that the Lord Mayor, in the stronghold of the mighty Mansion House, gave orders to his 50 cooks and butlers to keep Christmas as a Lord Mayor's household should--presumably for a houseful of guests who lavishly praised his generosity. The bricks, mortar, and labor that built the Mansion House might otherwise have built housing for hundreds; Scrooge, by living in three sparse rooms, deprived no man of a home. By employing no cooks or butlers, he ensured that cooks and butlers were available to some other household where guests reveled in ignorance of their debt to Ebenezer Scrooge.

In this whole world, there is nobody more generous than the miser--the man who could deplete the world's resources but chooses not to.

What makes the miser so anti-human is precisely that he buys into the notion of scarcity and of life as a zero-sum game.

via

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What I Like About Scrooge : In praise of misers.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
Scrooge is eco-friendly. But is still not a nice person by any Christian standards of his time or even modern times. He was not generous at all, not with his money and not with his talents, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
eco-friendly yes but not exactly good for the economy. I believe he was alot like mr. potter from It`s a wonderful life and did nothing to help grow the local economy. zero job growth was a common factor they both shared.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:50:33 PM »
Is it our duty to consume?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 09:13:28 PM »
In the terms of Scrooge in London in the 1840's, the question is totally irrelevant.

A Christmas Carol is about the lack of Christian charity in an allegedly Christian country during a period in which the por starved and died of curable diseases due to a society that contradicted its announced goals.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »
I always thought it a story of redemption.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »
And of course, it is, since Scrooge is redeemed by the end of the story.

But it is a commentary on attitudes in England during that period that Dickens considered too prevalent.

Dickens was saying that people  were personally responsible, and that the workhouses, debtors' prisons and transportation to Australia were a poor substitute for individual compassion and charity.