Author Topic: It's the Entitlements Stupid  (Read 695 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: It's the Entitlements Stupid
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
It is clearly true that not every person getting funds and services from SS, The VA, and Medicare/Medicaid should be eligible to receive what they are receiving, but there are a lot of people who ARE entitled, because they have paid into the funds for 45 years or more.

Before the government starts slashing what it pays out to truly disabled vets, truly mentally and physically challenged people, and people who have paid into the funds according to all the rules forever, it should be only after cutting subsidies for asparagus growers, people who operate NASCAR tracks, hedge fund managers who enjoy a 15% tax rate on what they pay themselves and people financing a second home.

It is true that there will always be a few cases of fraud, but there should be greater vigilance than there is now. I keep getting expensive brochures about how I qualify for a free Rascal Scooter three or four times a year.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
They need to cut what you're talking about also but I'm afraid the entitlements are beyond our ability to sustain. We, and Europe also, have to cut these. It was a great experiment but as our economies stand now we can't continue to pay at them at the their present pace. They are the problem. Not just the fraud, but the actual benefits across the board. 

BSB

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
I'm afraid the entitlements are beyond our ability to sustain. We, and Europe also, have to cut these. It was a great experiment but as our economies stand now we can't continue to pay at them at the their present pace. They are the problem. Not just the fraud, but the actual benefits across the board. 

I agree with BSB....we can not continue entitlements at the current pace. I think the retirement age should be moved to at least 70 for able-bodied people. Reality is that we are living longer. I know lots of people 70, 75 that are able to work....they are many times better workers than people half their age. How often do we hear "70 is the new 60". It's not a matter of "oh well lets just do this because it sounds good"....it's actually like you stated BSB "we cant continue to pay at the present pace" this is a real budget necessity.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BSB

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »
The question is, does congress have the guts? I'm not sure this one does.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
Moving the retirement age to 70 might be a solution to a part of the problem, but Medicare should not be changed to 70 as well, and of course, there should be no retroactive changes: people who are 66 should not be thrown out of Social Security or have their benefits reduced.

This country's biggest problem stems from all the wars we have decided to fight that could have been avoided. Wars cost taxpayers from the pre-invasion buildup until the last veteran is dead, and the last cent of debt caused by the war is paid off. We certainly did not need to get involved in Vietnam, Korea could have been avoided with better diplomacy, Afghanistan did not have to take nearly so long, and Iraq was mostly a total waste.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
Xavier_Onassis

« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:15:01 AM »

It is clearly true that not every person getting funds and services from SS, The VA, and Medicare/Medicaid should be eligible to receive what they are receiving, but there are a lot of people who ARE entitled, because they have paid into the funds for 45 years or more.

Before the government starts slashing what it pays out to truly disabled vets, truly mentally and physically challenged people, and people who have paid into the funds according to all the rules forever, it should be only after cutting subsidies for asparagus growers, people who operate NASCAR tracks, hedge fund managers who enjoy a 15% tax rate on what they pay themselves and people financing a second home.

It is true that there will always be a few cases of fraud, but there should be greater vigilance than there is now. I keep getting expensive brochures about how I qualify for a free Rascal Scooter three or four times a year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BSB

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:27:04 PM »

They need to cut what you're talking about also but I'm afraid the entitlements are beyond our ability to sustain. We, and Europe also, have to cut these. It was a great experiment but as our economies stand now we can't continue to pay at them at the their present pace. They are the problem. Not just the fraud, but the actual benefits across the board. 

BSB

Hey, I can agree with all of this.

I must be at the wrong website.