Author Topic: NHL suspends Stars' Sean Avery for crude comments  (Read 22588 times)

richpo64

NHL suspends Stars' Sean Avery for crude comments
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »
NHL suspends Stars' Sean Avery for crude comments
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer Jaime Aron, Ap Sports Writer
Tue Dec 2, 7:48 pm ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081203/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_stars_avery_suspended_4

DALLAS – The NHL suspended Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery indefinitely Tuesday for making a crude reference to former girlfriends while talking with reporters.

Avery's inflammatory comments came following a morning skate in Calgary, Alberta, where the Stars were to play the Flames on Tuesday night. He approached a group of reporters, asked if a camera was present, then said he wanted to say one thing: "I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," he said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends)."

He used a crass term to refer to ex-girlfriends now dating other people. (my note: He called them "sloppy seconds")

Avery's ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, is dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf and had been romantically linked to Mike Komisarek of the Montreal Canadiens. Avery also dated model and actress Rachel Hunter, the girlfriend of Los Angeles Kings center Jarrett Stoll.

Hours after Avery spoke, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced the punishment, saying Avery made "inappropriate public comments, not pertaining to the game."

Avery will meet with Bettman before his punishment is settled. That get-together is likely to happen soon.

"I completely support the league's decision to suspend Sean Avery," Stars owner Tom Hicks said in a statement. "Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have. This organization will not tolerate such behavior, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

Avery is a noted "pest," the kind of player who delights in getting under the skin of opponents, and whom fans love to hate. During last season's playoffs, Avery — then with the New York Rangers — stood in front of New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur and blocked his view by waving his hand and stick in the goalie's face. The next day, the league put in the so-called "Avery Rule" to prohibit such shenanigans.

Avery got a measure of revenge by scoring three goals in the series victory. But he lacerated his spleen in the following round against Pittsburgh, requiring a stay in intensive care and ending his stint with the Rangers.

Despite his tough-guy image on the ice, the 28-year-old Avery has cultivated another image in his private life: Fashionista. He's pursued his interest in the fashion world by interning with Vogue magazine. He's also broken into pop culture through appearances on MTV and in tabloid gossip columns; he also grabbed a spot on People's "Sexiest Scars" list for a gash on his lip.

Dallas signed Avery to a $15.5 million, four-year deal in July, hoping his grittiness would help last season's Western Conference finalists. Instead, the injury-riddled Stars went into Tuesday night's game with only 20 points, fewest in the Western Conference and near the bottom of the NHL.

This is Avery's third team in as many seasons, and fourth of his career. His contract includes a limited no-trade clause.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NHL suspends Stars' Sean Avery for crude comments
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
that`s how players lose endorsement contracts.
they had to suspend him or risk losing serious money.
mike vick was losing serious contracts for his behaviour .
and this was before the dogfights

richpo64

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »
This is totally ridiculous. It's politically correctness at it's worst. Suddenly using a certain turn of phrase is grounds for denying a man his living? It's only going to get worse.

I was listening to Maxum radio the other day and they describe this sort of thing as the "Pussification" of America.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »
not sure Pussification is the right
more like a  correction to a problem.
ever had a loud and offensive relative who through time gets less invited to family gatherings
we say in public we admire such behaviour but very few let thier daughter go out with these guys.
as I stated before this kind of behaviour can cost the team money.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »
"Sloppy seconds" is pretty mild as an insult.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »
When Red Auerbach coached the Celtics every player had to wear a coat and tie in public. If they didn't comport themselves as upstanding represenatives of the Boston Celtics at all times they never put on a Celtics uniform on again.

Pussified? They won 9 NBA Championships under coach Auerbach, including 8 in a row. They won 6 more while Auerbach was either GM or president of the Celtics.

richpo64

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »
Yeah, pussified.

In case you hadn't noticed, the NBA now requires players to dress "up." No more gangsta threads. They wear suits or at least sport coats and tie. It hasn't done much for the league.

Anyway, it might be different if Avery had used the dreaded "C" word, but he didn't. He didn't even curse. He called them sloppy seconds. I agree with Ami, it's a term that's awfully mild for someone to get so exercised about, let alone suspended.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
These guys are paid vast amounts of money to entertain the people, represent cities where they were rarely born, and serve as role models for kids. If they can't act like gentlemen, they should be replaced by men who will. It;s not like there was a shortage of undereducated overdeveloped lummoxes who want to earn a lot of money playing with balls long after their teenage years have passed. It's not like playing with a ball was a useful and productive thing, like plumbing, laying carpet or delivering mail.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »
Richpo, you're the last person anyone would seek out regarding questions on personal conduct.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
actually pro-athletes are kinda rare.
thier are more doctors ,lawyers and plumbers than pro athletes
but athletes are portrayed are more desirable than anything else.
except maybe rapper

richpo64

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »
>>Richpo, you're the last person anyone would seek out regarding questions on personal conduct.<<

Really? What do you know of my personal conduct? I suggest you stick to what you know.

Of course you are certainly not someone who I would consider an expert on anything. Especially what is and what is not exceptable personal conduct. That's really fucking rich.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:45:22 PM by richpo64 »

richpo64

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »
>>These guys are paid vast amounts of money to entertain the people, represent cities where they were rarely born, and serve as role models for kids.<<

They aren't paid to be role models. They're paid to do a job. This guys job is to score gaols and crack heads. I understand he does a good job of it. This is just more political correctness run amok. Rappers call women bitches and whores and nobody takes a pay check away from them. This guy calls his ex-girlfriends sloppy seconds and he's suspended?

I'll bet the league president is a democrat.

BSB

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 12:38:34 AM »
Now if I wanted to keep this going I might say something like, "another thing no one would search you out for, richpo, is who's an expert on anything". But, I won't bore the group by prompting more of your inane replies.
 :D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 02:12:27 AM »
Pro sports teams represent the cities that sponsor them. Rappers are assholes, and why anyone ever buys their crap I do not know, but they are not representing anyone officially. Rich's views seem to most resemble those of a posturing thirteen-year old trying to impress older thugs and losers.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 08:40:12 AM »
They aren't paid to be role models. They're paid to do a job. This guys job is to score gaols and crack heads. I understand he does a good job of it. This is just more political correctness run amok. Rappers call women bitches and whores and nobody takes a pay check away from them. This guy calls his ex-girlfriends sloppy seconds and he's suspended?

I'll bet the league president is a democrat.

His job is to do whatever it is his employer wishes him to do.  If his employer wants him to sit on a bench and watch the game, that's what he'll do.  It may not be a smart decision on the part of the employer, but it is the employer's decision.  If the player doesn't like it, he can quit, go to a different team, or start up his own league.  The comment, in my opinion, is overblown and not worthy of suspension, but I don't get to make that call.  And the club owner said that he would have suspended the player even if the league hadn't.

The league president, Gary Bettman, is not at all popular in the NHL.  Just google "Gary Bettman" and see what you come up with.