Author Topic: At the Iraq oil auction  (Read 8455 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: At the Iraq oil auction
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
It's plausible and somewhat consistent with my revised concept of the general idea being to get the oil out of the hands of the Iraqi people and into the hands of the "multi-nationals," from which the American companies could benefit by purchase and re-sale, or even from consistent markets wherein sales of oil everywhere continue to be denominated in U.S. dollars and with a larger and more dependable Mid-East oil supply continuing to serve its European and Asian customers, there would be less upward pressure on the cost of America's traditional supplies.

Don't the major oil companys of the world experience better profit margins during times of riseing prices than times of steady or declineing prices?

And why would American Oil Companys be distressed ,to be paid in Euros?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2010, 11:52:59 PM »
<<Don't the major oil companys of the world experience better profit margins during times of riseing prices than times of steady or declineing prices?>>

Well, I'm not an economist, but that is how it looks to me, yes.  As long as there's no comparable rise in the costs of production.

<<And why would American Oil Companys be distressed ,to be paid in Euros?>>

Are you kidding?  They'd probably PREFER euros.  It's the U.S. government that would be "distressed" (to put it mildly) if oil sales were to be denominated in euros rather than  USD.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2010, 12:05:35 AM »
<<Let me [be] more blunt, MT, you have no idea what you're talking about. None, zip, nada. >>

Au contraire, BSB, I have a pretty good grasp of the situation and virtually none of my key points have been rebutted in this or any similar thread.   I got the fundamentals correct, although Ami was able to shake me up on some details, which, when examined more closely, did little or nothing to shake my basic premises.  If anything, they simply broadened my horizons and led me to appreciate a dimension of American government criminality that went even farther than what I had originally imagined it to be.

However, if you have any specific criticism of any particular point I made in this thread, I'll be more than happy to try to address it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2010, 12:43:25 AM »
<<Let me [be] more blunt, MT, you have no idea what you're talking about. None, zip, nada. >>

Au contraire, BSB, I have a pretty good grasp of the situation and virtually none of my key points have been rebutted in this or any similar thread. 

:D    Needed a good laugh

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Rich

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
>> ... when examined more closely, did little or nothing to shake my basic premises... <<

I doubt thats possible regardless of the evidence.

Maybe this might work ...

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2010, 12:42:33 AM »

<<And why would American Oil Companys be distressed ,to be paid in Euros?>>

Are you kidding?  They'd probably PREFER euros.  It's the U.S. government that would be "distressed" (to put it mildly) if oil sales were to be denominated in euros rather than  USD.

Why?

Was Europe ever hurt by Billions of dollars being used?

I don't think any big problem would be caused by conducting more business in Euros.

If the dollar collapses , it might be nice to have an alternative availible.

As if the Dolar could fail without drawing the Euro into the hole with it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »
<<Was Europe ever hurt by Billions of dollars being used?>>

Nobody could ever be hurt by being given large sums of money in any denomination.  However, that is hardly an issue.

The issue was, who would be hurt if oil were sold for euros instead of dollars, and I think it's pretty clear that this would be a disaster for the U.S. dollar.  Why?  Because there would be a huge drop  in the demand for it and instead of paying $100 for a barrel of crude, you'd have to pay $200 or $300 instead for the same barrel of crude.  While this might benefit U.S. exporters, it would be hell on importers, including the end-purchasers of imported products or domestic products made with imported raw materials. 

Since the U.S. imports a hell of a lot more than it exports, the net effect on the country would be disastrous.  If you are thinking, this will improve the balance of trade, I would just laugh - - your workers aren't as hard-working or as low-paid as Chinese workers.  If you ever did manage to leverage a big drop in the dollar into a competitive export advantage, it could only be at the expense of the American worker, who would find himself working longer hours in less sanitary and safe working environments for less money than before.  So any way you look at this, you are fucked.

<<I don't think any big problem would be caused by conducting more business in Euros.>>

Depends entirely on how much business is "more business."  If the oil business, which is probably one helluva  lotta business, were to be conducted in euros or yen, believe me, this WOULD be one big problem.

<<If the dollar collapses , it might be nice to have an alternative availible.>>

It sure would be - - for the Europeans.  Then they could come to Florida and stay a whole month for what used to cost them a week.  they could buy two Fords instead of one.  But you'd be paying twice as much for a Honda or a Toyota than what you did before.  Figure it out plane, what does the U.S. do more of, importing or exporting?  What do you think the NET effect on the economy will be?

<<As if the Dolar could fail without drawing the Euro into the hole with it.>>

Why on earth would it?  They're priced AGAINST each other, not in tandem with each other.  As a matter of fact, the history of the two currencies for the most part has been the dollar falling while the euro was rising, ever since the euro was introduced.  Despite occasional variations along the way, that has been the overall trend.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »

<<If the dollar collapses , it might be nice to have an alternative availible.>>

It sure would be - - for the Europeans.  Then they could come to Florida and stay a whole month for what used to cost them a week.  they could buy two Fords instead of one.  But you'd be paying twice as much for a Honda or a Toyota than what you did before.  Figure it out plane, what does the U.S. do more of, importing or exporting?  What do you think the NET effect on the economy will be?

<<As if the Dolar could fail without drawing the Euro into the hole with it.>>

Why on earth would it?  They're priced AGAINST each other, not in tandem with each other.  As a matter of fact, the history of the two currencies for the most part has been the dollar falling while the euro was rising, ever since the euro was introduced.  Despite occasional variations along the way, that has been the overall trend.

Oh!

You think of it as a Zero Sum Game .
Hahahahahahaha!

More Euros for oil cannot hurt the Dollar , what can hurt the Dollar can't fail to also hurt the Euro.

Note that times of economic downturn for the US coincide strangely with times of economic downturn for the rest of the world, we help each other or cause each others problems in phase.

When the Mexican Economy tanked a few years ago , the US assisted to its recovery , prosperity there is good for prosperity here. If it were a zero sum game we should celebrate the weakness of other currencys.

How much are we benefiting from Zimbabwei's currency being unsound? Wo benefits from that at all?

When Japans economy suffered a slowdown it affected us negatively not positively.

Do you remember the years of grain shortage in the Soviet Union in the late seventys?
Didn't they borrow money from Germany (west) and buy grain at well negotiated rates?

Did it matter what currency that was done in ?

The Soviets used to controll their currency so tightly that the stuff was useless outside thair borders , pretty soon it was useless within their borders as well , they could not escape the laws of economics by ignoreing them.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2010, 11:25:24 PM »
<<Oh!   You think of it as a Zero Sum Game .    Hahahahahahaha!>>

Really, plane, I don't know what you are talking about.  I never referred to "it" (whatever "it" may be) as a Zero Sum Game, that is strictly your language, and frankly I don't even know what the hell it means.  I gave a fairly simple statement, without any reference to "Zero Sum Game," that if nobody needs dollars to buy oil any more, the demand for the dollar will fall, making the dollar a less valuable currency.

I really don't know how much more simply I can put it.  It's about the most basic illustration of the law of supply and demand that anyone can make.

The relevance of "Zero Sum Games" or any other obscurantist crap you want to dredge up is a total mystery to me.  If you want to pursue that line of argument, if in fact it IS a line of argument, then I am afraid you will have to explain yourself.

<<More Euros for oil cannot hurt the Dollar . . . >>

Well, as I said, and I believe stated very clearly, that we are not talking about "more Euros for oil," we are in fact talking about "ONLY euros for oil," or "ONLY euros and/or yen for oil," which would not merely "hurt" the Dollar, but would majorly fuck up the dollar, for obvious reasons which I have clearly articulated.

<< what can hurt the Dollar can't fail to also hurt the Euro.>>

Since they are clearly priced against one another and not linked in any way that I can see, I think it's painfully obvious that anything that hurts the dollar (and particularly its replacement by the euro as the denominator of all oil sales) could ONLY benefit the euro.  Only if the same thing that hurt the dollar also hurt the euro could your statment be true.  And in the case at hand, the use of the euro to denominate oil sales comes at the expense of the dollar, so you would see a direct case of the same action (the change in the denominating currency) at once hurting the dollar and boosting the euro.

Note that times of economic downturn for the US coincide strangely with times of economic downturn for the rest of the world . . . >>

That was then, this is now.  The U.S. wasn't broke before, it was the world's only economic superpower.  That's WHY the oil sales were denominated in U.S. dollars to begin with.  The U.S. today is already a sick man, which is why there is talk of euros and/or yen supplanting the dollar as the world's reserve currency and the sole denominator for oil sales.  Actual replacement of the dollar by the euro and/or yen to denominate international oil sales would send the dollar into a tailspin from which it would be almost impossible to recover.   That might not have been the result 25 years ago, but 25 years ago, no one was even talking about replacing the dollar with euros and/or yen to denominate oil sales.

<<we help each other or cause each others problems in phase.>>

When possible, sure.  When it's not absolutely self-destructive to do so.  The problem you don't seem to realize is that the U.S. dollar could become a toxic asset.  Since the government is so heavily in debt, IMHO due in large part to the ruinous long-term parasitism of the military-industrial complex bleeding the country for "defense" against imaginary threats from Viet Nam or Saddam Hussein or deliberately provoked threats from the U.S.S.R. or China, the only solution available is to further debase the currency by printing more of it, paying off 2010 debts with 2012 dollars and thereby reducing the value of whatever dollar obligations are held by your creditor nations.  They're already in deep enough, as they are belatedly coming to realize and as even the dumbest fucking Arab on the planet is starting to wonder, do they really need any more dollars for their oil or would they rather have euros?

<<When the Mexican Economy tanked a few years ago , the US assisted to its recovery>>

Yeah, like they really needed an impoverished failed state on their border.  They're paying the Mexican government to repress the Mexican population so the U.S. Army won't have to go there and do it themselves.  Whatever their reasons for bailing out Mexico, you'll have to show me exactly how those reasons or the underlying logic will protect the U.S. dollar from the huge drop in demand that would result if nobody needed it any more to buy oil.

I'm talking about a very simple situation, plane - - oil sellers won't take dollars and want euros instead.  The effect on the dollar should be self-evident.  It is NOT rocket science.  Why on earth you want to drag an alleged Mexican bail-out into this is again a total mystery to me.  One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

<< . . . prosperity there is good for prosperity here. >>

Are you NUTS?  How could prosperity in Mexico possibly be good for the U.S.A.?  If you didn't have a mass of hungry, ill-fed, desperate peasants in Mexico, who the fuck would pick America's crops?  Where would the people of California find their gardeners and hair stylists and cooks and drivers?  How could American workers' jobs be exported to Mexico if the workers there had the same rights and the same union power and the same enforceable health and safety standards as American workers and how could Wal-Mart and other big-box stores find cheap crap for re-sale to the American consumer if they had to pay the same for Third World product as American product?  Where do you think so much of your affordable agricultural produce really comes from?  That was the most ridiculous statement you've made in a whole unbroken stream of ridiculous statements. 

<<If it were a zero sum game we should celebrate the weakness of other currencys.>>

plane . . . any American who has an understanding of foreign exchange above that of the average squirrel DOES celebrate the weakness of other currencies.

<<How much are we benefiting from Zimbabwei's currency being unsound? Wo benefits from that at all?>>

Well, first you have to look at the net balance of trade between yourselves and Zimbabwe.  Are you net exporters or importers in your trade with them?  If you are net exporters to Zimbabwe, a drop in their currency makes it harder for them to purchase American goods, while it becomes easier for you to buy their stuff.  The harm to your export industry is greater than the benefit to your import industry, so you are hurt by the drop more than you benefit from it.  If you are net importers from Zimbabwe, the drop in their currency is a distinct benefit to you, now you can buy more of their stuff for the same price as before, or the same amount of their stuff for a lower price.  At the same time, that benefit to your importers is somewhat off-set by the harm to your exporters, as it becomes more difficult for Zimbabweans to buy American.  If they spend the same amount as they did before on U.S. goods, the amount of goods they can buy from the U.S. will be lower than before.

<<When Japans economy suffered a slowdown it affected us negatively not positively.>>

Same story as before.  You really are dragging in a whole bunch of irrelevant economic history that has nothing to do with the loss of a country's currency's status as an international reserve currency.  Japan's economy and it's relation to the US economy at any particular point in history is totally irrelevant.

<<Do you remember the years of grain shortage in the Soviet Union in the late seventys?
<<Didn't they borrow money from Germany (west) and buy grain at well negotiated rates?

<<Did it matter what currency that was done in ?>>

Of course it does.  It would have been better for the dollar had the U.S.S.R. borrowed USD from anywhere to buy wheat and worse for the dollar had they borrowed DM instead.  What you don't seem to understand is that political and not purely economic factors affected who the lender was and what the currency of the loan would be.  In purely economic terms, any time that a borrower chooses to borrow  DM or euros when it could have chosen USD, that's a small set-back to the dollar and a gain for the currency of choice.  You also don't seem to understand that there is a different order of magnitude when we are comparing the U.S.S.R.'s purchase of grain with the whole world's purchases of oil.  One would have a relatively tiny effect on the dollar, the other would have a huge effect on the dollar.

<<The Soviets used to controll their currency so tightly that the stuff was useless outside thair borders , pretty soon it was useless within their borders as well , they could not escape the laws of economics by ignoreing them.>>

Well, it's obvious to me that you are choosing to ignore the most basic economic law of all, the law of supply and demand, when you make the ridiculous argument that the U.S. dollar would not be hurt if it were supplanted by the euro and/or other currencies as the currency of payment for all sales of oil.  That is just nonsense.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2010, 05:39:29 AM »
I suggest you look int the concepts of Zero sum game and "Win- Win " games .
Google will enlighten.
The economy is  not like a poker game in which someone is bound to come out ahead at the expense of the others, in the world economy,every player can loose.

Once you give me a barrell of Canadian oil , and accept eighty dollers for it , that oil is not yours anymore and those dollars are not mine anymore. Now what are you going to do with those dollers in your possession?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2010, 07:39:33 AM »
<<I suggest you look int the concepts of Zero sum game and "Win- Win " games .
<<Google will enlighten.>>

Thank you, I will get around to that one day.  In the meantime, I have a very clear understanding, based on the most basic principles of foreign exchange (that a national currency is a traded commodity) and economics (the law of supply and demand) which leads me to conclude, as just about everyone whom I have read on the subject, that it will be a very bad thing for the USA if its currency were to cease being the world's reserve currency and/or were to cease being the denominator of most of the world's oil sales.

<<The economy is  not like a poker game in which someone is bound to come out ahead at the expense of the others, in the world economy,every player can loose.>>

You're speaking in generalities so vast that they have no particular application to this particular economic scenario under discussion, wherein it is perfectly clear that it would be vastly to the EU's gain and to the US's loss if the world's future oil sales, starting tomorrow, or starting five years from now, were to be denominated in euros instead of USD.

<<Once you give me a barrell of Canadian oil , and accept eighty dollers for it , that oil is not yours anymore and those dollars are not mine anymore. Now what are you going to do with those dollers in your possession?>>

Not a hell of a lot if their purchasing power has declined in the EU.   Probably directly or indirectly trade them into euros (i.e., buy euros, which many other dollar holders would be doing) in order to be able to buy what I need from abroad if I'm an importer (which most of your country happens to be.)  The problem then would be that they ("they" being USD, not the importers) don't buy as many euros as they used to, not by a long shot.  So in the end I'd get less of whatever I had been in the habit of buying.  Don't you understand that your country has been running a negative balance of trade with your most significant trading partners for long periods of time?  

Why are these basic concepts so difficult to get across to you?  My respectful suggestion is that you concentrate on the basics of the situation and try not to drag in wild irrelevancies from all over the world, like the Mexican financial crisis, the Japanese economy, Russian wheat purchases, the Zero Sum Game, the Win-Win Game and other such nonsense and just focus on some really basic economic and forex principles, which I highlighted above, and which are basically all that you need to know to understand this very simple and uncomplicated scenario.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:43:10 AM by Michael Tee »