Author Topic: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless  (Read 24129 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »
And who claimed it was written by God?  oy    ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
And who claimed it was written by God?  oy    ::)

Apparently someone did, because why else would this subject be up for debate?

Do you believe the Bible was written by God?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
As a Christian, it's the word of God, NOT written by him.  Though you could go on to say those that wrote the Bible were inspired by God communicating to them, in however way he did

Which is all based on FAITH, which of course you're well aware of, which of course begs the question why are you asking proof, ala Xo, in something that's faith based, at at no time claimed as some proven fact?  Do you require proof of my faith??  Seriously??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »
No theologian of any repute claims that the Bible was actually written by God. This is because the Bible itself attributes authorship to men, not God.

Generally, it is alleged that it was written by several, perhaps many authors, who were inspired by God.

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were so named because they reputedly were written by those evangelists.  Note that Luke and Mark are NOT Hebrew names, though all the Apostles were Jews. The same is true of the letters of Paul and Peter. God was allegedly inspired to write about some pretty petty matters in Paul's letters: specific parishioners in specific churches whose actions could not conceivably be of a fraction of the importance of the Crusades or the Holocaust. God apparently considered it of vital importance to the World that the Apostle Timothy personally circumcised himself, for example, and then Paul mentions that this was actually unnecessary later on.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:50:48 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »
Christians across the globe believe that the Bible is the word of God, while very few actually claim it was written by God.  So, why you're arguing a point never made is.......well, SOP I guess

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
Which is all based on FAITH, which of course you're well aware of, which of course begs the question why are you asking proof, ala Xo, in something that's faith based, at at no time claimed as some proven fact?  Do you require proof of my faith??  Seriously??

==========================================
I am asking YOU for proof that it IS the word of God precisely because YOU asked ME to prove that it was not,and that Job did not exist.

You apparently were unaware that it is not possible to prove a negative.

Knowing you, I am pretty sure you are still likely unaware of this basic premise of logic.

No one questions your faith, sirs. We all know that you have oodles and oodles of faith.
I imagine that you are capable of believing seventeen impossible things before breakfast.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
The reason i ask is that if you claim the the Bible is inspired by God and XO claims that the Bible is not inspired by God and both positions are based on Faith or lack thereof, why is XO wrong and you are right?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
==========================================
I am asking YOU for proof that it IS the word of God precisely because YOU asked ME to prove that it was not,and that Job did not exist.

Good gravy, I'm not required to prove to you anything.  ITS FAITH.  That's how God intended it to be.  You either believe in him, or you don't.  YOUR CHOICE.  I'm not here to convert you   ::)   Now, if your goal is to try and disprove him to me, its going to take far more than your 99% wrong opinion that the Bible is not the word of God, or that job did not exist

Good luck with that

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »
The reason i ask is that if you claim the the Bible is inspired by God and XO claims that the Bible is not inspired by God and both positions are based on Faith or lack thereof, why is XO wrong and you are right?

Because I'm on the record as referencing that its an act of faith.  I'm not proclaiming it as some logical fact based conclusion

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »
I said that the Bible was not the word of God.

That does not rule out the possibility that PARTS of it could be inspired by God, which is not the same thing.

To say that something is :the word of Xavier Onassis", for example, it stands to reason for most logical thinkers that it is something I said.

Something I INSPIRED someone else to say could be a totally different thing.

We could say that Henry Ford built the Model T.
We could say also that Henry Ford, by building the Model T and selling millions of Model T's, INSPIRED paved roads.

That is not the same thing as saying that Henry Ford paved the roads.

Another example: Steve Jobs may have INSPIRED the fourth generation iPod, but he did not create it.

Here is my statement: THE BIBLE IS NOT THE WORD OF GOD.

Consider what this means.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
So far, sirs has claimed that he BELIEVES that the Bible is the word of God, though what he actually believes is a bit murky.

sirs thinks that I should PROVE that a guy named Job did not exist, though strangely, he has no obligation to even say why he thinks that Job did exist.

That sounds like one of those famous double standards to me.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »

Because I'm on the record as referencing that its an act of faith.  I'm not proclaiming it as some logical fact based conclusion

That does not answer my question. Why are you right and xo wrong on a faith based position?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
I said that the Bible was not the word of God.

That does not rule out the possibility that PARTS of it could be inspired by God, which is not the same thing.

LOL.....that is pretty much the same thing.  So, you're applying the literal card, that not every single word was the word of God, just parts of it.  Ok, fine, I can agree.  I doubt that words like "the" and "and" were probably not, but yea the vast majority is precisely the word of God, as inspired by those who wrote it

oy

Here is my statement: THE BIBLE IS NOT THE WORD OF GOD.

Consider what this means.

I did, ....spoken like a true Heathen, since that's PRECISELY WHAT IT IS

Now, if you wish to continue this discussion of FAITH, by all means, introduce it into the MATTERS OF FAITH section of the Saloon.  We're done here

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »

That does not answer my question. Why are you right and xo wrong on a faith based position?

Asked and answered already.  Now, if you wish to continue this discussion of FAITH, by all means, you too may introduce it into the MATTERS OF FAITH section of the Saloon.  We're done here

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »

Asked and answered already.  Now, if you wish to continue this discussion of FAITH, by all means, you too may introduce it into the MATTERS OF FAITH section of the Saloon.  We're done here

1 you don't tell me where to post
2 if you can't answer a simple question, say so. Which of course will speak volumes. Because you certainly did not answer why your faith based position is correct and xo's faith based position is not.