Author Topic: Virtual Tax?  (Read 9619 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Virtual Tax?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 10:11:42 PM »
I am planning to drop 14 dollars on a Movie later this week.

How virtual is that?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 10:20:22 PM »
You are really going to a theatre to really see a real movie.  You are renting space to watch an entertaining film.  That's real enough for me.   
14 dollars?  Is it during the evening? Here, the movies cost 2.50 or 3  dollars for matinees and 5 dollars for evenings. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 02:22:24 AM »
You are really going to a theater to really see a real movie.  You are renting space to watch an entertaining film.  That's real enough for me.   
14 dollars?  Is it during the evening? Here, the movies cost 2.50 or 3  dollars for matinees and 5 dollars for evenings. 

I am going to suspend my credulity long enough to believe Ben Stiller is actually a Museum Guard in a magic museum.

I am really in a rented seat in a real theater just as I am really in a chair I own in front of a Computer I own as I watch the antics of Sims .

Virtual has a long history , what is painted on the cave wall but a virtual Mammoth?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 02:40:39 PM »
Personally, anyone that pays "real world" money for "virtual world" anything is kind of stupid.  Virtual worlds should be treated as games and nothing more.

Except that, in the future, the virtual worlds will be where real business gets done.

People won't be commuting to work - they'll arrive virtually and interact virtually.

I sincerely doubt that. 

But if it does turn out like that, then what will stop someone from creating an AI version of themselves to go to work for them?  And if they can do that, then why can't we make an RBE?

How is an AI virtual "self" doing your work for you any different from my idea of the Army of Automation trying to automate every form of work?  What's the diff?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »
But if it does turn out like that, then what will stop someone from creating an AI version of themselves to go to work for them?  And if they can do that, then why can't we make an RBE?

Actually, I forsee most everyone supervising a "team" of non-sapient or low-sapient AIs in doing work. For example, instead of me writing all the code that I produce, I would have a team of AIs writing the code, then I would personally test and integrate the code. It would make me more efficient at my job.

Higher efficiency does not mean that I would continue to work unrewarded, however.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »
I`ve read way too much scifi to deal with the idea of AI
keep thinking humans will be outmoded if AI`s become reality.
it`s not like we`ll design them to be inferior to us.
what the point of making them if they don`t things better than us.
remember rossums universal robots?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 12:22:50 AM »
Personally, anyone that pays "real world" money for "virtual world" anything is kind of stupid.  Virtual worlds should be treated as games and nothing more.

Except that, in the future, the virtual worlds will be where real business gets done.

People won't be commuting to work - they'll arrive virtually and interact virtually.

I sincerely doubt that. 

How is an AI virtual "self" doing your work for you any different from my idea of the Army of Automation trying to automate every form of work?  What's the diff?

The Army of automation will not need you , it will refuse to feed you.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 11:28:28 AM »
The Army of automation will not need you , it will refuse to feed you.

Repeatedly, you've shown that you don't understand what the RBE is or any of its components or how it works or what the point is.  This is only the latest statement proving this.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »
I think RBE might work if strict laws are imposed to ensure people are still in charge.
ex.farming is now mostly done by machines now,but still needs humans to operated it.
planes still need pilots even though autopilot can replace them.the pilots are there for emergencies,autopilots can`t handle turbulance as well as humans also.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 02:24:02 PM »
I think RBE might work if strict laws are imposed to ensure people are still in charge.
ex.farming is now mostly done by machines now,but still needs humans to operated it.
planes still need pilots even though autopilot can replace them.the pilots are there for emergencies,autopilots can`t handle turbulance as well as humans also.

Thank you, kimba!

I agree with your statements and would only add the word "yet" to the end of sentences re: human involvement.

I believe farming is very nearly on the verge of being completely automated from planting to tending to harvesting.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 02:41:23 PM »
we need to make sure somethings are human only involvement.
cooking ,writing
things that require creativity.
a complete life of leisure is not always good
ex. note all the billionaires are still working.
not many wealthy people are living the life of leisure only.
rappers don`t count ,they work because they spend all their money and barely keep up.(mc hammer)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 02:51:29 PM »
At present there are virtual products you can have for free , and virtual products that you can get with cash.

I can see that the free stuff does not support itself as well as the paid for .

I suppose that volenteer effort can make a difrence, RBE can compete with economic science on a level playing feild.

Kinda like Phrenology vs neruology .

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 03:56:00 PM »
we need to make sure somethings are human only involvement.
cooking ,writing
things that require creativity.
a complete life of leisure is not always good
ex. note all the billionaires are still working.
not many wealthy people are living the life of leisure only.
rappers don`t count ,they work because they spend all their money and barely keep up.(mc hammer)

Oh I absolutely agree, kimba.  I have noted repeatedly that even though some become billionaires, they still need to continue to work.  That is exactly how the RBE is designed.  For with automatons doing the regular work that needs doing, the humans can continue create and be creative.  And if someone wants to be a garbage man even though automation can do it, then by all means, be the garbage man. 

The idea is not to remove humans from the workforce but to allow humans choices.  If automation has taken over farming and is raising healthy natural organic foods and some human wants to grow his own, then he can because he's not going to go hungry investing in a farm that might fail financially.  It will be an endeavour to challenge himself not to try and scratch out a living.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
speaking of garbage man
did you see micheal palin around the world in 80 days?
when he was in venice he didn`t do the tourist stuff
he did a garbage route to see the real venice
he`s so cool

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 04:21:16 PM »
speaking of garbage man
did you see micheal palin around the world in 80 days?
when he was in venice he didn`t do the tourist stuff
he did a garbage route to see the real venice
he`s so cool

I haven't seen that at all.  I should Netflix it.

Sounds cool.  I love him.